Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
[quote=Jordan Smith
Your statement is like saying that there are some Lada cars that have been perfectly reliable, and every car made by man has the odd failure, so some people must just like to bash Lada. I think most people would agree that this is a silly statement. Just because Toyota has a defect here and there, and Lada also has defects, that doesn't make them equally reliable or durable. [/quote]

My statement is in no way similar to the silly example you offered. I offered a brief description of my actual experiences with the VX6 and then made three statements; 1) I use and like other scopes, 2) No manufacturer is error free, and 3) Some like to bash.

I should have know better than to have contributed when obviously some experts with vast experience with the VX6 and strong backgrounds in statistical analysis hold a different view.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Anyone of the opinion that Leupold reliability went down at the Vari-X III to VX-III transition?

That would be my experience. I've owned a small herd of 2.5x8's, starting about 15 years ago with Vari-X's. I kept one of the Vari's and one of the VX's because they track acceptably well for what I'm doing with them. The others went to new homes.

This isn't intended as a Leupold bash... but once you've used a mechanically accurate and stable scope, it's hard to go backwards. I've seen a lot of squirrely stuff from Leupold scopes, mechanically. Who here hasn't had the experience where you are trying to zero one, and the POI is jumping all over the place in ways not connected to what you are inputting with the adjustments? I used to call it doing the Leupold shuffle. Then once you get it zeroed, finally, you NEVER TOUCH IT! again out of fear of starting the whole process over.

In contrast, the mechanically stable scopes I have experience with (a couple Nightforce) just move the POI right where it's supposed to go. Every time. Like this, for instance. Shot this a few days ago (with my new 6.5 SAUM, prone w/bipod) as part of a quickie test (of my zero stop that I made). So, I was dialing the crap out of it between shots. But more to the point, afterwards I just took one click off the elevation and guess what, it actually moved the POI that last bit downward. That's been my experience over and over with NF. You could take either of my NF-equipped rifles and, 5 minutes before the absolute, one-time-only, hunt of a lifetime, you could spin the turrets all over the place then back to their original zero. Then hand me the rifle and I'll go take a PRECISION shot with it without ever a worry. I KNOW it's back at it's original zero. No hoodoo, no shuffle, no worry, no knocking on wood, no need to check zero.

[Linked Image]

I might buy Leup's for specific jobs... maybe... but any serious rifle will get a NF (or something equally reliable) from this point forward. Fuggit. Life is too short to be doing the dang shuffle.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have puked (2) Reupolds this week already. That despite lovin' the platform up,prior to the first poke...with a right proper polish/shine and molyfication.

Chased rough corners,to help wear/tear,noise and perhaps even recoil. The bitch is slick and sweet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

AOA shipped me the wrong fhuqking mount and flung me a 1" 25MOA RWS "drooper",so that was a bitter pill right outta the gate and a recipe for weirdness(no such thang as a 1" MQ Fixed Fhuqker). Had a T-16 laying loose and they'll shift parallax down to Dastardly Deed range,so it got to pop cherries. Trouble is,that slowwwwwwww rollin' fine focus parallax,REALLY hurts production,as the entire objective whirls to arrange same and we've a leetle thang called "weather". A 10yd to 100yd engagement shift,is a seemingly endless series of objective revolutions apart and the BC cap don't drift. Pain in the ass,for Real World UTILITY.

[Linked Image]

Patiently awaiting the 30mm RWS "drooper" mount,so I can 6X MQ it and really air some schit out. The 12X Reupold that went on after the T-16X,wanders POA/POI like a mad Woman going to take a schit and this 6x42 A/O is even fhuqking worse. The schit is so fhuqking bad,that it's pretty fhuqking funny! JSB heavies at 635fps and trite ES/SD's,ain't a bad place to be,but my FWB 300/6X MQ stomps this thing fhuqking UGLY in dot connectin'. All of which is due the glass,when talking gunning from a rest. From the hindlegs,the FWB 300 ergo's crush HW97K laminate attempts at same,though the '97 handle is a fhuqk of a LOT better than most. 'Tis a nice platform.

Broken arrow.

[Linked Image]

I don't even send Reupolds back anymore...I just fling 'em on a shelf or give them away. A NIB 4.5-14x Reupold puked outta da' gate on a Montucky Kreedmire,last pass. These Reupolds shook loose and are Musical Instruments. Funny schit! Cheer up,I puke 'em in 30mm too. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Folks who actually shoot,will just "happen" to puke some Riggin' and go through more than a few spouts,amongst other consumables. Funnier than fhuqk to read about The Paper Hat Brigades "hard charging" ways,as the whole bunch of the CLUELESS Fhuqks bolted together,have never even come close to knock the "new" offa anything,but they'll sure as fhuqk chime in with the "Sweet Satisfactions" of the Fair Weather Flatlanding Forays and Hand Held "Adventures"! The ONLY thing the stupid Fhuqks "shoot" is their mouths and Imaginations,as they unleash their copious Pretend. One thing is for fhuqking CERTAIN however and that's when it is all said and done...there will have been a fhuqk of a LOT more said than done. Congratulations?!?

If only Nighfarce would poke CDS on their SHV.

LAFFIN'!

Time for a Group Google,as you CLUELESS Fhuqks nod your heads in unison,like you "understand".

Bless your hearts.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have had two Leupolds calve so far this year, that makes 5 or 6 over the years. As we speak one is back for servicing as a lens started floating around - zero and tracking both F'ed up. In the midst of a competition of course.

I don't think it's a coincidence that about ten years ago two things happened at Leupold and scope failures became much more frequent. Jack Slack left, and the low-cost Rifleman series came out (Pacific Rim parts anyone?)

I have been a hardcore Leupold user for 30 years, but the ones they make today are not the same scopes durability-wise that we grew up with.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have returned several zeiss scopes, Kahles, Meopta, and a few Leupolds, so I have seen problems with some scopes, some my fault, some not my fault. The last one and I thought the most odd was a VX6 1-6 which just started dialing funny, giving more adjustment I thought than I dialed into it. They repaired it, I shot the box and it seems to be working now on a 223. The only scopes so far that I have seen that have never had an adjustment or wandering zero problem are the two cheap swfa 1-4's I have and the NF 2-10 x42.

Like someone said wish they would put a decent hunting reticle in the NF 2-10 x 42, I would have to go into my savings to buy a few.

Does anyone know how much reticle travel is required to move a bullet 6 inches at 300 yards? I think it would be a pretty small movement of the actual cross hair.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The only scopes so far that I have seen that have never had an adjustment or wandering zero problem are the two cheap swfa 1-4's I have and the NF 2-10 x42.

Prepare to be burned in effigy....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Does anyone know how much reticle travel is required to move a bullet 6 inches at 300 yards? I think it would be a pretty small movement of the actual cross hair.

2MOA

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
NO the actual physical movement, is it .1 micron, or 0.005 inches, or etc. The point is it does not take much for a precision device to go bad.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

1 mil at 300 yards is app 10.8inches, and 1/10mil at 300 is app 1.08", so the answer to your question is app .55 mils.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/15/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NO the actual physical movement, is it .1 micron, or 0.005 inches, or etc. The point is it does not take much for a precision device to go bad.

The amount in your scope is still going to be 2 MOA. Consider the spacing of your rings. If it is 4.5" then the 2 MOA is .0013", so the reticle is going to move barely over 1/1000".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have returned several zeiss scopes, Kahles, Meopta, and a few Leupolds, so I have seen problems with some scopes, some my fault, some not my fault. The last one and I thought the most odd was a VX6 1-6 which just started dialing funny, giving more adjustment I thought than I dialed into it. They repaired it, I shot the box and it seems to be working now on a 223. The only scopes so far that I have seen that have never had an adjustment or wandering zero problem are the two cheap swfa 1-4's I have and the NF 2-10 x42.

Like someone said wish they would put a decent hunting reticle in the NF 2-10 x 42, I would have to go into my savings to buy a few.

Jimmy, I was just about to mount a 1-6 VX6 on a 338-06. I have the scope in hand. Should I be looking elsewhere? I bought this thinking I was buying durable. I actually finally buckled and bought three VX6 Leupolds and then this thread popped up. I bought a 1-6, a 2-12x42, and a 3-18x50. The 1-6 is slated for a 338-06, the 2-12x42 also might go on the 338-06 or an ultralight 308 or ultralight 7mmRM, and the 3-18x50 is slated for a Sako 85 Varmint in 223.

Am I nuts?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No. Read what I wrote. Just put one on a 338 no issues so far. GREAT scope.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston

I actually finally buckled and bought three VX6 Leupolds and then this thread popped up. I bought a 1-6, a 2-12x42, and a 3-18x50. The 1-6 is slated for a 338-06, the 2-12x42 also might go on the 338-06 or an ultralight 308 or ultralight 7mmRM, and the 3-18x50 is slated for a Sako 85 Varmint in 223.

Am I nuts?

I just did the same, a 1-6 & 2-12 both Firedots...1-6 goes on a new Colt AR & 2-12 on a Custom 260 Rem. Everything I read prior to purchase gave rave reviews from users, unless you're a turret spinner...then buy a quality NF.

I'm sure we're good to go, if not their warranty is top notch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They sure aren't cheap! Wow. Just googled the 2-12. I was thinking they were a $600-750 scope.....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so 0.0055 inches, not that much. Its a lot to ask of a device that see's a lot of g's over its lifetime.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I cannot say, each product has its strong and weak points the reticle in the NF sucks in the woods, so I hunt with the inferior VX-6 on an AR that I kill deer with over the vastly superior NF, cause the reticle is just too F'ing busy for me and my eyes. I would keep them and hunt with them. Of course I am putting 100 or so bullets down range which puts me into the couch category before I hunt with any scope, I mean every year you should shoot a lot with each hunting rifle or you don't have any familiarity with it....

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Geeze guys....If i known it would have caused all this uproar I wouldn't have even mentioned the problems with this scope. Bear in mind my experience with the VX6 is limited to THIS ONE SCOPE!
Have been using Leupold scopes for years with pretty good results, and will continue to do so. But heard a lot of complaints from several experienced people and not just limited to the internet.

Enough noise to make me think about what I wanted and expected out of a scope that was going on my .260 So I bought a NF. There will be other scopes coming and going but for this rifle NF fills the bill.

Lefty C

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Custom Shop Pre-64 in 338. Shoots sub MOA all day long. Plan to take it on my eventual cat hunt in Zimbabwe. VX6 with ill reticle. Taking into account what a hunt like that costs there is no question regarding my confidence in Leupold.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet rifle Jorge, that'll put a cat down fast....good luck on your trip.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,593
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.