Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Here we go again! This year is turning out to be like last year, here in south Louisiana. Rain Rain Rain. last year I actually got depressed during the summer, due to rain ruining every weekend. Now this year is shaping up to be the same.

I was set to go meet my Dad at our camp in Grand Isle, LA this Thursday after work, to fish Specks and Reds till Sunday. But NOOOooo, now we got a damn storm coming right up our Butts.

I have a camp in the swamp that you can only get to by boat. I can't stand running to the camp in the rain, with all my food, clothes and gear getting wet.

I have had enough of these wet summers!

Ok Rant Over!

Simoneaud

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I moved my houseboat from Lake Fausse Point to the marina in Baldwin early this morning just in case this storm takes a turn for the worse. Way too much rain lately, I am ready for a nice long dry spell.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I don't blame you. My camp is on Bayou Patout, I hope nothing gets flooded or torn up. The camp in Grand Isle is elevated and has steel siding so we good there.

I agree with you, too much rain. I'll take the dry and heat.

J Simoneaud

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you can have the dry and heat... any day you want this crap, come get it.

But I hear ya.

Re gear getting wet, we keep our stuff in waterproof in AK on the way to camps... you never know if it will be hot and dry, wet and cold etc.. or between up there. I"d just make sure I got some kind of water proof containers and go to camp anyway... fish bite in the rain, we hunt in the rain, flyfish in the rain etc..

After the heat and drought of 2011 I said I'd NEVER complain about rain again. I've held true and hope that never changes.

Those living on the water, I can see the issue though.

Here are thoughts and prayers for the coming storm and safety. ANd if there is any way to push it to TX so we get teh rain, I'd be much obliged. 10 inches would be just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
well you might just get some, they keep inching the track to the west, now it's on the LA/TX state line, with us being on the wet side

J Simoneaud

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Put on yer white boots and lets go have a beer!

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
hey george, man I been busy,I'll pm you

J Simoneaud

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

dry as a popcorn fart out here............as the norm........

hot sob..........95* in the shade.......16% H..........@ 6000'..........

get my chores done before noon........then shade up.......... smirk

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm happy to have the rain that is coming from this.

I've spent a lot of time in Grand Isle, albeit doing ship trials. Fished out of Port Fourchon a bunch though.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
yep we had a big weekend planned, dang!

J Simoneaud

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
well you might just get some, they keep inching the track to the west, now it's on the LA/TX state line, with us being on the wet side

Bring it on, I say. We've already had 111*, many days near 105*. I'll take all the rain you can send.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

That tarpon rodeo should be a few weeks out for Fourchon and about a month out for GI. I want no part of those areas at that time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'll be driving through it tomorrow. I'm supposed to crew change Thursday out of Houma.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Simoneaud: I was born on a rainy day in JULY out in the Puget Sound Country of western Washington.
I learned to recreate, play, live and work in the rain.
The secret is good gear and good storage venues for that gear.
I say get some waterproof gear bags for your gear and food and some good lightweight rain gear and go fishing!
I am sorry the weather has been poor for your ventures last year and so far this year but I know this from living where I did and recreating in the rain forests of the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State and Southeast Alaska - you won't melt!
With good/appropriate (lightweight/breathable) rain gear you can actually stay comfortable in the summer rains.
Hope things turn around for you weather wise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We've had the rain for a day now. Dad and I went for a ride along the coast before dark and it wasn't too bad. A little flooding and 7'-8' seas. We've had a real wet and mild spring. The ground has been saturated for a while now. A buddy went to the Escatawpa River on the AL/MS line yesterday and it was already out of it's banks from the previous rains. Another 6"-8" is expected here by Thurs. morning.

The fishing has been off the charts with the mild spring and the tarpon have been here for a week or more.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That tarpon rodeo should be a few weeks out for Fourchon and about a month out for GI. I want no part of those areas at that time.

Ha! We already plan to be in Grand Isle for the Tarpon Rodeo, July 27th. It gets crazy on the Island for the rodeo. We just sit up on the high deck and watch the crazy's do there thing.

Lots of partying!!

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Simoneaud: I was born on a rainy day in JULY out in the Puget Sound Country of western Washington.
I learned to recreate, play, live and work in the rain.
The secret is good gear and good storage venues for that gear.
I say get some waterproof gear bags for your gear and food and some good lightweight rain gear and go fishing!
I am sorry the weather has been poor for your ventures last year and so far this year but I know this from living where I did and recreating in the rain forests of the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State and Southeast Alaska - you won't melt!
With good/appropriate (lightweight/breathable) rain gear you can actually stay comfortable in the summer rains.
Hope things turn around for you weather wise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I hear ya! I just ain't used to having to deal with so much rain, but I am starting to think like you! Cause staying home on the weekends SUCK! Time to change my ways.

J Simoneaud

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yall that are watching this storm -

I've got a two-up motorcycle ride coming up, North-East MS to Uvalde TX... Gonna be leaving sometime after midnight this Thurs. night. Not going is not an option, but might push back leave time till later Friday morning. Can either go 40 West, then turn South once in TX, or go 55 South, then West across 10.
Thoughts or advice on route? I'm fully prepared and expecting rain, but trying to avoid the strongest winds and flooded roads if I can. Yes, I know I'm crazy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depends on how fast she moves inland. My bet is that the most southerly route will be best (Friday), but ain't no guarantees.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I 10, THRU Houston, is shall we say"sporty" at times, on a bike.
I would take I20 across Tx. then south to Uvalde.
20 to Abilene then 83 south. should miss the weather.

Last edited by TERRY8mm; 06/21/17.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks fellas, I appreciate it. I was hoping to get out and cross West before it got here, but not in the cards I reckon.
I need to go look at a map, I sure would like missing Houston!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 32 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.