Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Avoid Zillow. I don't believe a damn thing I see on Zillow. They have great TV commercials, but that is about it. I am a practicing Realtor and you would be amazed at the number of people that come to me with something they found on Zillow that does not exist. To up their number of properties they seldom or never remove them from showing as being an active listing. For instance I recently had a potential client inquire about a property they found on Zillow that looked like a really good deal. I initially could find no information about it other than Zillow. Upon doing some detective work, I discovered that the house had sold 8 (EIGHT) years ago! I had to try to explain to this buyer that not only was it not available, but I also could not find her a comparable home at that price range as prices in that area have gone up substantially. I took pains to explain this and to prove I was telling her the truth. She decided that since I, nor my firm, did not have TV ads, I was either a liar or stupid. Similar instances have happened with Zillow over the years. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF GOING TO ZILLOW TO DETERMINE A MARKET VALUE!

Additionally, I do always encourage clients and potential clients to check the local area MLS and will gladly set up an automated custom search for them for properties that match their criteria. When interesting properties are found, we check other comparable properties to search for desired features, locations, schools, tax rates, flood insurance rates, HOA restrictions/fees, age of roof, etc., etc. Note that all Realtors are not created equal.

I'm not surprised by your response at all and I won't even comment on your misinformation.

You Sir, are a typical Realtor that I would avoid like the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by local_dirt

As fish head said, many times you don't even need a realtor. I've done a lot of real estate transactions and rarely used a realtor. They are my least favorite of the "professionals" involved in the process and will screw a deal up faster than all of the others combined.

Yep.

Generally and almost universally, realtors suck. I rank them well below car salesmen and Democrats.

I beg your pardon. I guess you think you are a pretty brave man to hide behind a keyboard and insult someone without having any knowledge whatsoever of them. I do not know you, your profession, your sense of ethics, nor even where you live, nor your politics, but I would never blindly insult or judge you.

Lawyers rank well above car salesmen and realtors, just below clergymen.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Originally Posted by dale06

I am thinking of selling a 20 acre lot in a development in Montana. The value of it is $125-150,000.

What would be the real estate commission percentage on something like this?

Is it fair to ask what part of Montana the land is in? There may be some on this site that might be interested.

West of Bozeman near Manhattan Montana.

NRA Patron
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

As fish head said, many times you don't even need a realtor. I've done a lot of real estate transactions and rarely used a realtor. They are my least favorite of the "professionals" involved in the process and will screw a deal up faster than all of the others combined.

Yep.

Generally and almost universally, realtors suck. I rank them well below car salesmen and Democrats.

Below democrats, man that's low!

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First off, I don't hide behind a keyboard. I don't need to. Many here know exactly who I am, where I live, my politics, ethics, history, and anything else you think might be associated with "knowing" someone.

Not only did I not accuse, insult, or refer to you personally, I am speaking from my many personal experiences and not something I dreamed up or read on the internet. I have no apology for my conclusion based on those experienes, nor do I find it different from that of my contemporaries and friends who have also done many real esate transactions.

Realtors have the group reputation they have for a reason. That said, I do have a couple that I work with occasionally that are savvy, diligent, have earned their solid reputations, and are not greedy - the biggest fault I have found with realtors and the trait most often referred to in mine and others' recollections of a deal gone south.

I applaud you for trying to change the negativity about the Realtor reputation, if that is your mission. Many have earned it or you wouldn't have read what you've already read here in this thread. Maybe you aren't like that. Like you said, you don't know me and I don't know you.. but I know realtors.

And lastly, if you think you're straightening out, talking down, correcting, or educating a rookie, I've got news for ya.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sold my house on Zillow about 2 years ago.

Sold it for asking price.

Realtors wanted to 'help'... I offered 3% if they brought a full price contract/buyer.

The buyer 'found' me, wanted to bring their Realtor in, I paid him 1 1/2%.......... which was well worth NOT having to deal with the buyHER..............

SOME info on Zillow can be wrong or outdated.

A realtor questioned my write up on my house, argued with me, the owner occupant, as to how many bed rooms and baths, in MY house!?!?!?

Another called me to tell me that I was asking WAY to much for my house!?!?!? Nice way to introduce yourself..... btw ..... you're fired!!!

It's all negotiable.........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. It IS NOT bad advice. You just don't understand what I'm saying. I KNOW realtors look at the MLS. That's what you want. Realtors bring you qualified buyers. Let them do all the digging and screening and showing the property.

Your big picture mission is to get it sold as quickly, easily, and least expensively as possible.

2. If you don't think the general populace knows about what's on the MLS or have access to look at listings, You are misinformed or living in the past.

3. If you don't think a realtor will come after a 3% commission, you are again misinformed.

4. Are you a realtor? You're kind of sounding like one.

Realtors think the only people that should have access to the MLS or have knowledge about what's on the MLS are.. realtors.
Kinda reminds of democrats and guns.

;;;;;

Not sure at all how I sound (especially on the internet), not a realtor, but have developed and sold a bit and my first option would not be to become a member of mls(to my knowledge a requirement to list a property) nor would I encomber my marketing efforts by signing a contract for $99.00. I understand what you're written and it is bad advice.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by muffin
Sold my house on Zillow about 2 years ago.

Sold it for asking price.

Realtors wanted to 'help'... I offered 3% if they brought a full price contract/buyer.

The buyer 'found' me, wanted to bring their Realtor in, I paid him 1 1/2%.......... which was well worth NOT having to deal with the buyHER..............

SOME info on Zillow can be wrong or outdated.

A realtor questioned my write up on my house, argued with me, the owner occupant, as to how many bed rooms and baths, in MY house!?!?!?

Another called me to tell me that I was asking WAY to much for my house!?!?!? Nice way to introduce yourself..... btw ..... you're fired!!!

It's all negotiable.........

Case in point.

Around here, the county Property Appraiser's website can often be flawed with regard to square footage, number of bedrooms and baths, and so on. The realtor was probably looking at that and calling it gospel.

They just corrected my house after 19 years, and only after the 2nd roof that I'd put on. grin

2 or 3 properties I own in the next county over are still wrong.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
1. It IS NOT bad advice. You just don't understand what I'm saying. I KNOW realtors look at the MLS. That's what you want. Realtors bring you qualified buyers. Let them do all the digging and screening and showing the property.

Your big picture mission is to get it sold as quickly, easily, and least expensively as possible.

2. If you don't think the general populace knows about what's on the MLS or have access to look at listings, You are misinformed or living in the past.

3. If you don't think a realtor will come after a 3% commission, you are again misinformed.

Realtors think the only people that should have access to the MLS or have knowledge about what's on the MLS are.. realtors.

;;;;;

Not sure at all how I sound (especially on the internet), not a realtor, but have developed and sold a bit and my first option would not be to become a member of mls(to my knowledge a requirement to list a property) nor would I encomber my marketing efforts by signing a contract for $99.00. I understand what you're written and it is bad advice.

You're still wrong. And you obviously don't have the experience to back up what you're saying. Who said anything about marketing efforts by a realtor?!!? That's what the MLS is for!!!!

You gotta be a realtor, talking like that.

I'm done here.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

laugh laugh laugh

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

;;;;;

You're still wrong. And you obviously don't have the experience to back up what you're saying. Who said anything about marketing efforts by a realtor?!!? That's what the MLS is for!!!!

I'm done here.

I just wanted to preserve this little gem so I quoted it.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Avoid Zillow. I don't believe a damn thing I see on Zillow. They have great TV commercials, but that is about it. I am a practicing Realtor......

Well, that about explains it.

In my experience, realtors love to hate Zillow because it gives the consumer the ability to do some of the work themselves. Between Zillow, the MLS on-line, realtor.com, and even an actual drive-by, I can get virtually ALL of the information I need on a property, quickly cross-check on a few sites to verify, then decide if I want to investigate further, without EVER having to talk to a realtor with a vested financial interest.

The couple of realtors we have dealt with in the last 5 years have set us up on their super fancy MLS auto-e-mail subscription programs, where I get pretty little e-mails regarding all of the properties I've mostly already come across on my daily MLS searches or have already seen on Zillow.

Weeeeeee!

I suspect that DIY residential real estate sales will drastically change the landscape for realtors in the next 10 years... if not sooner.

Last edited by duck911; 07/05/17.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a new house last year. First time I've had to deal with real estate in almost 20 years. I was 15 minutes from firing everyone involved with my deal. If i did my job at a realtors pace I would be destitute and starving. This is a new age....... Everything is available at the click of a mouse. Each piece of paper and this and that and the other thing should not in anyway be days or weeks for each. I was so pissed off by the time the deal was over from office types holding this up and that up. I was almost mad cause the deal went through. I waited nearly a week past the date on my offer to get a counter offer. Realtor kept telling me she couldn't get a hold of the sellers. I finally called her and told her she had 15 minutes to get me a counter or I no longer needed her services. Super weird 10 minutes later I had a counter.

Last edited by k20350; 07/05/17.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by duck911

I suspect that DIY residential real estate sales will drastically change the landscape for realtors in the next 10 years... if not sooner.

Possibly.

But, remember that home sellers are one of the most commonly sued groups out there. As well, by the end of a transaction in CA, there's a pile of paperwork about two inches thick. The California Association of Realtors prints a very large book dealing with JUST the purchase contract. Never mind all the inspections, TDS, time limits etc, etc...

Good luck to the novice home seller that DIY's all that, then winds up with a buyer that wants to engage in a frivolous lawsuit...

(yes, I am a former agent)

P. S. Zillow information is often wrong. Not always, but often. The above case of the 8 year old transaction is not an anomaly. Realtor.com information may also be wrong. When it comes to homes on an MLS, use the local MLS portal first, if there is one. Data flow is such that when a home goes live on an MLS, the MLS will push the data to zillow/realtor. Subsequent CHANGES to an MLS listing MAY not be pushed to either of those sites.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Bare land, 10%

Bingo.. I would count on this to be more accurate.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check with a few Realtors in your area, see what they have to offer.
Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes even less.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
If you use an independent realtor, you can usually lock em in for 3.5% and it still gets advertised through MLS.

A Realtor wouldn't make much money with a split 3-3.5 % .. 3-3.5 per side might work might not.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I have bought 4 houses in the last 7 years. Sold two. Every house we bought we found on our own. Zillow and Craigslist. There's nothing a realtor could bring to the table that could help us. Yeah, Zillow can be wrong. So can the realtor bringing us 'potential' houses to look at. Every potential they brought us we had already looked at online. The info is out there and available instantly. Buying houses in the country I want to know who owns surrounding properties and how many acres. That's about the only requirement given to the realtor we were using. Couldn't even do that. I then found out how to see from my iPhone that info so didn't even need a realtor to go that for me.

We found a realtor we genuinely liked. What's he do? Quit being a realtor and bought a Chinese restaurant.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Most realtors that I knew and had dealt with prior to the R.E. boom of the 90's to early 2000's were for the most part fairly competent good people. Then all of the sudden every Tom/Dick/Harry wanted in on this seemingly cash cow and became realtors. Most of these newbies had absolutely no experience in anything R.E.
The profession went downhill....quick.
JMO

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep.

I beg your pardon. I guess you think you are a pretty brave man to hide behind a keyboard and insult someone without having any knowledge whatsoever of them. I do not know you, your profession, your sense of ethics, nor even where you live, nor your politics, but I would never blindly insult or judge you.

As a native Texan I'm offended by your sensitivity and thin skin. Suck it up and go bake some cookies for your open house...... grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.