Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
1. It IS NOT bad advice. You just don't understand what I'm saying. I KNOW realtors look at the MLS. That's what you want. Realtors bring you qualified buyers. Let them do all the digging and screening and showing the property.

Your big picture mission is to get it sold as quickly, easily, and least expensively as possible.

2. If you don't think the general populace knows about what's on the MLS or have access to look at listings, You are misinformed or living in the past.

3. If you don't think a realtor will come after a 3% commission, you are again misinformed.

4. Are you a realtor? You're kind of sounding like one.

Realtors think the only people that should have access to the MLS or have knowledge about what's on the MLS are.. realtors.
Kinda reminds of democrats and guns.

;;;;;

As fish head said, many times you don't even need a realtor. I've done a lot of real estate transactions and rarely used a realtor. They are my least favorite of the "professionals" involved in the process and will screw a deal up faster than all of the others combined.

Agree 100% with local dirt. I've sold 3 properties doing exactly what he says here. The realtors came with their potential buyers, and the most I paid them was 3% at closing. A good title company is invaluable as well, as they have all kind of "For Sale by Owner" information, forms, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was approached by many realtors who came to me me under the guise that they had buyers even though some didn't. Half of them tried to talk me into listing my house with them even after I explained that I KNEW what was I doing and didn't need their services. That pissed me off. One agent totally kinked a deal with a young couple that fell in love with my house. They initially offered 10% less than appraised value and he wanted 4% to do the paperwork. They got the boot.

I explained to every real estate agent that approached me I was open to any offer they brought but it would all come down to the bottom line. Would I make more with a buyer represented by an agent and paying a commission or would I net more with an unrepresented buyer?

In the end I accepted a negotiated offer from a buyer's agent that was over the list price and did very well. He provided all the paperwork, which was a bonus, and the deal went down super smooth and everybody was happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add this too. At least two-thirds of the agents I dealt with were flat out hacks. The other third were professionals ... as best I could tell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
I was approached by many realtors who came to me me under the guise that they had buyers even though some didn't. Half of them tried to talk me into listing my house with them even after I explained that I KNEW what was I doing and didn't need their services. That pissed me off. One agent totally kinked a deal with a young couple that fell in love with my house. They initially offered 10% less than appraised value and he wanted 4% to do the paperwork. They got the boot.

I explained to every real estate agent that approached me I was open to any offer they brought but it would all come down to the bottom line. Would I make more with a buyer represented by an agent and paying a commission or would I net more with an unrepresented buyer?

In the end I accepted a negotiated offer from a buyer's agent that was over the list price and did very well. He provided all the paperwork, which was a bonus, and the deal went down super smooth and everybody was happy.

This almost exactly mirrors my last home sale.
We advertised the house as a FSBO, at a price that was a historic high for the neighborhood. Buyer's Realtor said she could get us almost 10% more than our asking price if we sold through her. Isn't it unethical for a Buyer's agent to jack the price up for their client/buyer?
She got 3% from us, and her buyers got screwed.

Last edited by NVhntr; 07/06/17.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Just bite the bullet. Odds are you're gonna get more showings if you are offering the buyer's agent a commission. Why would they show real estate that won't get them paid a commission? You get the idea.

This is not correct. A buyers agent WILL MOST CERTAINLY get paid. A commission is SPLIT between a seller(listing agent) and the buyers agent if there is one. A buyers agent just LOCKS IN that particular buyer.

You are incorrect. In a "for sale by owner" situation, a commission must be agreed to upfront by the seller. That's why buyer's agents take the time to find this out before showing their clients a "for sale by owner " property. Why would they waste their time showing properties that won't get them paid? Again, I'm talking about FOR SALE BY OWNER. I assumed the OP was debating whether or not to hire a realtor to help him sell the property.

In theory , you can sell your property yourself without a listing agent and offer any buyers agents a commission.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you're going to sell it yourself, the key to being successful is to be educated and well prepared ahead of time. Have a real estate attorney lined up and a blank sales contract, disclosures, etc ready. Having an inspection done ahead of time is also a good selling point. I sold two houses on my own and used RE attorneys/title companies to close the deal and they sold quickly with a minimum of drama. I sold one thorough a RE agent and that was a disaster. I feel as the homeowner, I can answer a prospective buyers questions and concerns better than an RE agent can and I'm not going to blow smoke up the buyers skirt like many RE agents do. One thing I don't like are the standard contracts the RE agents use. They definitely are not in your favor, especially as a buyer. They seem mostly designed to protect the RE broker and make sure they get their commission. I'd rather have a RE attorney draw up a contract the fits the needs of the buyer and seller.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr

We advertised the house as a FSBO, at a price that was a historic high for the neighborhood. Buyer's Realtor said she could get us almost 10% more than our asking price if we sold through her. Isn't it unethical for a Buyer's agent to jack the price up for their client/buyer?

Same thing happened to my former neighbors next door, who by the way gave the house up on foreclosure because they couldn't get the bank to cooperate on a short sale. They had gone with that realtor because she was a "friend". smile

I'm not going to sit here and spill my guts or beat my chest about my real estate dealings, but I do know what I'm talking about. I've done it. Not talked it.

Pistolero or rifle marksman.. I've got a lot to learn and a lot of work to do. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atomchaser
If you're going to sell it yourself, the key to being successful is to be educated and well prepared ahead of time. Have a real estate attorney lined up and a blank sales contract, disclosures, etc ready. Having an inspection done ahead of time is also a good selling point. I sold two houses on my own and used RE attorneys/title companies to close the deal and they sold quickly with a minimum of drama. I sold one thorough a RE agent and that was a disaster. I feel as the homeowner, I can answer a prospective buyers questions and concerns better than an RE agent can and I'm not going to blow smoke up the buyers skirt like many RE agents do. One thing I don't like are the standard contracts the RE agents use. They definitely are not in your favor, especially as a buyer. They seem mostly designed to protect the RE broker and make sure they get their commission. I'd rather have a RE attorney draw up a contract the fits the needs of the buyer and seller.

ac, that is why I use my own contracts. Strangely enough, they have a document# marked "S" or "B". smile

I also use my own rental contracts with addendums, hold harmless agreements, automatic extensions and all kinds of other good stuff.

One of the most important components of a real estate transaction is having your paperwork straight and tight when you go into the deal. Trying to get an unruly buyer or seller straightened out down the road is a very tough proposition. Having a savvy RE atty and title company sure come in handy, too.

One more tip that nobody has mentioned. If you've got a mortgage broker friend who will do this for you, have any "qualified" buyers get verified through YOUR mortgage broker.
Now ask me how many non-qualified "qualified" buyers realtors have brought me. grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same thing happened to my former neighbors next door, who by the way gave the house up on foreclosure because they couldn't get the bank to cooperate on a short sale. They had gone with that realtor because she was a "friend". smile

I'm not going to sit here and spill my guts or beat my chest about my real estate dealings, but I do know what I'm talking about. I've done it. Not talked it.

Pistolero or rifle marksman.. I've got a lot to learn and a lot of work to do. grin

Sounds like you're a neophyte.

I earned my marksman badge at summer camp in 1969. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atomchaser

No offense but I would never offer an inspection that I ordered as a selling point. Implying that the home has been inspected and passed could have consequences. It could potentially put you, as a seller, in legal jeopardy. It's up to buyer and/or lender to have their own independent and impartial inspection performed. An inspection can reveal defects in a home that will have to be corrected before a loan is approved. If your inspector missed something you're on the hook and could potentially face legal action. If the buyer's inspector misses something you won't be held responsible.

Last edited by fish head; 07/06/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is an advantage to having an informal inspection done before it's listed. It gives the seller an opportunity to correct any defects, on his/her dime, by yourself (DIY), or with a contractor of your choosing. Once you have a deal on the table the buyer has the final say on who he/she wants to do the work and it could cost more.

Have the work done ahead of time, avoid objections, and potential reductions in the net sales price.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
fish head,

Having a pest and termite inspection and all section 1 items resolved when a house is marketed is a BIG plus on older homes. It had become the norm where I was working, that the seller's agent urge the seller to have this done ASAP when taking a listing. Especially on upper end homes. "Why are all the otherb homes coming with clean pest, and yours isn't" is not the sort of question you want potential buyers to be asking themselves at offer time...

Pest and termite companies providing inspections do not work for the seller per se. Their asses are on the line were they to not work to prevailing standards. That kind of s--t would come back and bite them right quick.

A general home inspection, OTOH, is as you said, generally done by the buyer. Though more by convention than for liability reasons. The seller is merely presenting the result of the inspection, not claiming there couldn't possibly be other items that were undiscovered.

KL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought my last house out of the local classified ads from the newspaper for sale by owner. It was a 200,000 house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KuiLei
fish head,

Having a pest and termite inspection and all section 1 items resolved when a house is marketed is a BIG plus on older homes. It had become the norm where I was working, that the seller's agent urge the seller to have this done ASAP when taking a listing. Especially on upper end homes. "Why are all the otherb homes coming with clean pest, and yours isn't" is not the sort of question you want potential buyers to be asking themselves at offer time...

Pest and termite companies providing inspections do not work for the seller per se. Their asses are on the line were they to not work to prevailing standards. That kind of s--t would come back and bite them right quick.

A general home inspection, OTOH, is as you said, generally done by the buyer. Though more by convention than for liability reasons. The seller is merely presenting the result of the inspection, not claiming there couldn't possibly be other items that were undiscovered.

KL

No problem. I agree with what you said and hadn't contemplated that aspect.

I lived in Alaska and Colorado where termites don't exist. The pests there were, generally speaking, in the category of a nuisance rather than destructive like termites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a land deal as I understood it. No word on improvements but guess roadway cut and electricity

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sounds like you're a neophyte.

I earned my marksman badge at summer camp in 1969. grin

Not really. In life, I've found a self-defaming nature is ingratiating.

Last edited by local_dirt; 07/07/17.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KuiLei
fish head,

KL

The problem in Florida is that most houses either have termites or are going to get them sooner or later. It's a fact.

What is also a fact down here is that many mortgage brokers and brokerages are also partners or silent partners of termite and pest control companies. And, guess which ones get picked during the loan approval process. When I sold the first house I bought in this area after completely rehabbed it myself, the buyer's mortgage broker ordered a termite inspection. Guess what. They "found" termites. Probably out of their hip pocket. I knew that house from top to bottom and it did not have termites. It had been tented before I bought it. Through a lot of digging, found out mortgage broker was a silent partner in the termite inspection company. When I threatened legal action, the buyer suddenly and mysteriously no longer qualified for the loan. End result? Mortgage broker steals buyer's downstroke money.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.