Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The locals don't carry anything,the game scouts i.e. game dept. personal do.

As far as full house .50-100 on elephant,I would use the .500 NE every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cause the .50-110 cannot hold a candle to the .500 NE.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The locals don't carry anything,the game scouts i.e. game dept. personal do.

As far as full house .50-100 on elephant,I would use the .500 NE every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cause the .50-110 cannot hold a candle to the .500 NE.

The experience actually was that it's a wash. The .50-110 tends to be about 100 ft/s slower which isn't a huge deal on solids. But the northfork solids they use tend to outperform the Woodleigh and Hornady solids in terms of depth and straight tracking because of the large flat meplat and sharp corners. I'd have no concern with the .50-110 (or for that matter .45-90) whatsoever.

Of course with factory Winchester loads they'd be utterly unsuitable.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 07/10/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm a Mauser 98 action believer...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by las

My bolt lift is getting less tho.

hummm, E D.......? eek

Just curious grin

I'm starting to wonder about your curiosity... wink

But back to the OP point:

I don't give a crap. If it works it works. I have both LA, and SA rifles and never give either action length a thought or notice when in use. My attention is on killing that thing out there. Much like the various safeties on the different rifles. Whatever rifle is in hand, I don't need to consider where the safety is. I know. But then, I haven't acquired a "new" rifle in over 20 years - and some of them go back 40 or more. I know how to unzip my fly without over-thinking it too...

In fact, this thread is the first time this "debate" has even crossed my mind. Guess I am just oblivious to the finer points...

Last edited by las; 07/11/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm pretty sure the serious accuracy nuts use short actions almost exclusively FWIW.

I'm pretty sure Carlos Hathcock used a long action. For what it's worth.

He used a long action because he didn't have an option at the time. He was a good soldier and sniper, which rarely translates to the best shot. Chris Kyle was one of the worst shots in his class, he just barley qualified on marksmanship. But his other skills made the difference in the field.

Absolutely, after all, you ony get the 1965 Wimbledon Cup if you are a lousy shot. Ho-lee-chitt

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It depends on how long vs short action is defined. The cz 452 is a rifle I quite prefer to the 550 Magnum living next to it in the gun cabinet. A .22 is much more useful to me than a 375 H&H. If you're going to say long=3.4"(or so) while short=2.8"(about) for COL, It doesn't make any real difference to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by las

My bolt lift is getting less tho.

hummm, E D.......? eek

Just curious grin

I'm starting to wonder about your curiosity... wink

NEVER fear grin

My bolt lift is just fine wink no LADY ever complained. laugh

all in fun

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Jeff: Does the "O" stand for "overthink"? grin

No. It stands for "Obama".

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like Tikka T-3's and pre-64 Win model 70's, the action is the same length and they use a different bolt stop.
It helps keep me from laying awake having to make difficult decisions about which action length I should buy.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O!

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I mean, I'm very tolerant of alternative lifestyles but I won't lie, that's a little disgusting.

Is that kinda like some people ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clearly, given the same OD and wall thickness, in plain tubing shorter is stiffer. We've got anything but plain tubing. ...

Technically speaking, that is NOT correct. If made of the same material (say, cut from the same longer tube) the two lengths would have identical stiffness (resistance to bending). The difference is the longer tube will deflect more for a given sideways pressure due to it's length. Depending on the tube lengths, the longer tube may deflect more with much less pressure. That does not make the tube itself less stiff, it is just a factor that there is more tube.

Take a yardstick and place one end in a vice. Now apply pressure to the other end. You wil get a deflection of quite a distance. Now cut the yardstick off so that only 3" protrudes from the vice. Same yardstick, same stiffness, same pressure, less deflection.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by jkingrph
My only short action cartridge is a .223 Rem, in an 1970 vintage Remington 700 varmint special. It's a long action with a magazine spacer to take up some of the space. My "long" actions are Winchester Mod 70 Featherweights, unless you call the CZ 550 Safari a long action, I think it's the larger magnum action. My favorites though are really short actions, the CZ527 micro, I have one in .22 Hornet and a new one it 6.5 Grendel.

I do not think that you are correct on this. To the best of my knowledge there was never a factory long action Remington 700 Varmint Special chambered in 223. They chambered them in the short action with a spacer in the magazine to take up the excess space.
If it truly is a factory 700 Varmint Special long action chambered in 223 they you have a very valuable collectors item.

drover

You are most probably correct, I was assuming it was a longer action because of that spacer. I am certainly no Remington historian, only having 3 of their guns, this one and two 1100 shotguns.

Last edited by jkingrph; 07/13/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So Jeffery,

you prefer a short action Bong, as opposed to a long action Bong?

Surprises me... I'd have thought the bigger the Bong, the Better in your case...

Goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
O
Originally Posted by joe6555
Since everybody agrees on action length, what about bolt lift? Does 60* work better than 90* (can't find a degree key)? I grew up on a long action 90* Model 1917 Enfield, so everything else feels super easy.

The 60* bolt lift is actually a very nice feature, to me. It impinges less on the scope, and can make a difference in the height of bases needed for mounting. I like the scope as low (and therefore as close to the barrel line) as I can get it.

As to the original action length question, I will be a contrarian vote for longer actions -- in fact I prefer magnum length actions. They allow for more powder and thus more b-a-n-g. Anything loud is more fun. :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

There is no shortage of posts on this forum where people complain a particular bullet failed to expand, some with photographic proof.
Would another 75fps have changed that outcome? At some narrow band of impact velocities, the answer is undoubtedly "yes".

Such projectiles still work as designed, it was the failure of the hunters not getting within ranges that would give the results they expected
from the projectile they selected...the other option is to select a projectile better suited to ones hunting.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Micro action guys here. I have come to the conclusion that of the critters I hunt, a 6.5 Grendel on down will handle the job 10 times out of ten. I can appreciate them all yet Micro is where it is at for me.

Then I have been a very avid archery hunter and believe in getting close is more of what the hunt is about than taking a iffy long range shot.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have both, but generally SA's are "it" for me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by joe6555
Since everybody agrees on action length, what about bolt lift? Does 60* work better than 90* (can't find a degree key)? I grew up on a long action 90* Model 1917 Enfield, so everything else feels super easy.

It really does not matter with iron sights, with a scope 60 degree is a must. Some of my favorite rifles, with smoothest action are my Swedish M96 mausers with 90 degree throw and cock on closing. I probably as a type, shoot them as much as anything else. Swiss straight pulls are nice also, but look a little strange.

Now if I could get a Swiss K 31 shrunk to micro action size , in 6.5 Grendel all would be good!

Last edited by jkingrph; 07/14/17.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.