Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The first thing that needs to happen is for Congress to pass a law that THEY have to use 0/care; then all the problems discussed above would be solved pronto!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by steve4102
Total repeal isn't going to happen without at least 8 Democrats supporting it.

Senate rules require 60 votes to invoke Cloture (end a filibuster), before it can be brought to the Senate floor for a majority vote.

That's one of the reason for this half assed peace mean proposals over the past several months. The Senate had to keep the proposed bills under the guide of Budget Reconciliation where it only takes 51 votes as BR bills do not require 60 votes to invoke Cloture.

...and NO the nuclear option used to confirm Gorsuch does not come into play. The NO has been invoked for Judicial appointments and I believe cabinet position, Not legislation outside of Budget R.

They don't need 60 votes to get rid of the 60 vote rule......if so Harry Reid wouldn't of been able to change the Senate rules on Judges confirmations as there were only 53 democrats in the Senate at that time. There is nothing stopping the Republicans from going Nuclear with a simple majority rule if they so chose to.

[i]Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
·
1h

The Senate must go to a 51 vote majority instead of current 60 votes. Even parts of full Repeal need 60. 8 Dems control Senate. Crazy![/i]

McConnell has said he will not change Senates rules to a simple majority. It's a done deal.

As President Trump tweeted, 8 Democrats control the Senate.

Last edited by steve4102; 07/18/17.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Total repeal isn't going to happen without at least 8 Democrats supporting it.

Senate rules require 60 votes to invoke Cloture (end a filibuster), before it can be brought to the Senate floor for a majority vote.

That's one of the reason for this half assed peace mean proposals over the past several months. The Senate had to keep the proposed bills under the guide of Budget Reconciliation where it only takes 51 votes as BR bills do not require 60 votes to invoke Cloture.

...and NO the nuclear option used to confirm Gorsuch does not come into play. The NO has been invoked for Judicial appointments and I believe cabinet position, Not legislation outside of Budget R.

They don't need 60 votes to get rid of the 60 vote rule......if so Harry Reid wouldn't of been able to change the Senate rules on Judges confirmations as there were only 53 democrats in the Senate at that time. There is nothing stopping the Republicans from going Nuclear with a simple majority rule if they so chose to.

[i]Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
·
1h

The Senate must go to a 51 vote majority instead of current 60 votes. Even parts of full Repeal need 60. 8 Dems control Senate. Crazy![/i]

McConnell has said he will not change Senates rules to a simple majority. It's a done deal.

Doesn't change what I posted. They need 60 votes for a full repeal under the current rules. They don't need 60 votes to change that rule, but McConnell wont do it.........YET. I'm betting if they've exhausted all options it might come to that.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by gunner500
And why does .gov oversee two ponzi schemes, SS and healthcare, the same stuff they locked ole madoff up for? crazy

And lets not mention the insider trading perks, ho lee crap we've a lot of work to do.

Yep
And SS was not a Pozi scheme until the corrupt thieves we elect stole all the money for them selves.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't hold out much hope OCare will be repealed or replaced. We have 40% of the American public on the gov't tit and sucking hard. Even though it is the right thing to do for America, it is political suicide, and the gutless, cowardly lawyer/politicians don't have the cahones' to do the right thing. All they want to do is get re-elected.

Can anyone say Term Limits? 2 terms max, then go be productive.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Current Senate rules mandate that 60 senators -- three-fifths of the 100-member Senate -- must agree in order to end debate and move forward to a vote on a measure or piece of legislation -- a process known as invoking cloture.

The Senate, however, has invoked the so-called "nuclear option" in the past to get certain nominations -- most recently of note Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch -- through the Senate by a simple majority vote, but there is currently no method for doing so with legislation.

Republicans have instead opted to try to pass tax reform and health care through a process known as reconciliation, which applies to budgetary measures and only requires 51 votes. The process allows lawmakers to vote on critical pieces of the health law without giving Democrats a chance to filibuster, but in turn it places large constraints on members -- including limiting debate to only 20 hours and only using it to change laws that are scored by the Congressional Budget Office, which means those that cost money or are implemented as taxes.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, has emphatically stated he is against changing senate rules to initiate a nuclear option for the legislative filibuster.

"The core of the Senate is the legislative filibuster," McConnell told USA Today in April. "This notion that this (changing the filibuster rule to confirm Gorsuch) somehow bleeds over into the legislative filibuster is untrue. I'm opposed to it ... I think that's what fundamentally changes the Senate."

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't hold out much hope OCare will be repealed or replaced. We have 40% of the American public on the gov't tit and sucking hard. Even though it is the right thing to do for America, it is political suicide, and the gutless, cowardly lawyer/politicians don't have the cahones' to do the right thing. All they want to do is get re-elected.

The only way, but I'll not hold my breath.......

FJB & FJT
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
As I have said before; Why repeal? They keep claiming that obamacare is in a death spiral so let it die. Give us a free market system with insurance available across state lines and tort reform and let the free market system work.

Leave obamacare hanging around the democrats necks and give the people a choice of obamacare or a free market system. Isn't America all about having the freedom to choose?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Who in their right mind would call something the "core of the senate" when it's sole purpose is to PREVENT the senate from moving to a vote, which is their job. Vote on the damn things, yes or no, period. Holding a majority hostage simple because you can't win is ridiculous.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Just REPEAL it.

Yep.

Then leave it the hell alone.

Deregulate all the BS insurance company lobbyist rules they have and let the competition take care of what you pay.

Even if they did all that tomorrow, it would take the healthcare industry years to recover from the damage socialized gov't healthcare has done.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want more gun control, change the senate rules to require 51 votes. If you want even more government spending, change the senate rules to require 51 votes. I'm no fan of that idiot McConnell. A plan should've ("should of" for the morons) been developed over the past 8 years and could've ("could of" for the morons) been by a group of junior high kids. Jeez, what a bunch of jerks we have in the House and the Senate. Make no mistake, their prior votes, both in the House and Senate, were only for show previously. They knew President Obama would veto and they knew by their arguing for repeal they would be held in good stead with their voters. Also, they all assumed Hillary Clinton would be the next President. For these reasons they drug their feet rather than developing an alternative, market based approach bill that could and would pass.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
If you want more gun control, change the senate rules to require 51 votes. If you want even more government spending, change the senate rules to require 51 votes. I'm no fan of that idiot McConnell. A plan should've ("should of" for the morons) been developed over the past 8 years and could've ("could of" for the morons) been by a group of junior high kids. Jeez, what a bunch of jerks we have in the House and the Senate. Make no mistake, their prior votes, both in the House and Senate, were only for show previously. They knew President Obama would veto and they knew by their arguing for repeal they would be held in good stead with their voters. Also, they all assumed Hillary Clinton would be the next President. For these reasons they drug their feet rather than developing an alternative, market based approach bill that could and would pass.

Also make no mistake,

The will be no legislation passed in the US Senate 1) if the rules are not change, 2) If the republicans are not able to gather the 8 votes in 2018 needed to invoke Cloture.

Without a rule change nothing Trump will be passed before 2018.

After the 2018 elections, the same will hold true unless the Republican gain 8 seats.

The Trump Train has been stopped dead in it's tracks thanks to 8 Democrats and McConnell.

Trump might as well spend the next 3 1/2 years playing golf in FL.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Virginian2
As I have said before; Why repeal? They keep claiming that obamacare is in a death spiral so let it die. Give us a free market system with insurance available across state lines and tort reform and let the free market system work.

Leave obamacare hanging around the democrats necks and give the people a choice of obamacare or a free market system. Isn't America all about having the freedom to choose?

Not any more
We will do as they tell us to do or suffer the consequences

Until we can kick everyone of the corrupt bastids out that is the way it is going to be.
And with a Population begging to be taken care of instead of taking care of them selves we will never be able to get rid of the problems in gooberment.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Trump's finally got it right. Just REPEAL it.

if the GOP can't get the balls to even take away the illegal taxes, you think they will ever have the votes to just dump the ACA? I think not.

Of course not, but at least Trump finally changed his appeal to Congress.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's sure not looking good for us. The left has castrated the republican party. OUR supposed party has no balls.
I glad I'm old but I'm sure not happy for my kid and grandkids. They'll certainly not have the once great country that I grew up in.

Last edited by boatammo; 07/18/17.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Mainly, only liberal dimocraps would be pissed if it were repealed. Talk of its repeal has been a big vote getter for Rs. Hard to believe they would fear losing liberal votes for repeal more than losing R votes to keep it. I guess they think the voters who put them in office will stick with them, regardless.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/18/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Rush is now saying Mcconnell has decided to go for repeal as of today.

Now he says hot news is that 3 Rs have said they would vote against repeal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Who in their right mind would call something the "core of the senate" when it's sole purpose is to PREVENT the senate from moving to a vote, which is their job. Vote on the damn things, yes or no, period. Holding a majority hostage simple because you can't win is ridiculous.

Here, here..........................yes, yes & yes.

Get on with business; piss on the minority; majority rules.

Oooops, not in the senate.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Hah.. Those 8 Dems control the entire GOP!! I've never in my life seen such a bunch of weak-tit, worthless, pitiful group of politicians so lacking in balls.. All they wanna do is keep their comfy seats and get re-elected... Work for US??? ROTFLMAO..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Rush is now saying Mcconnell has decided to go for repeal as of today.

Now he says hot news is that 3 Rs have said they would vote against repeal.
What a SURPRISE!!! I'm SHOCKED, I tell ya - SHOCKED!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 257 mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 71 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,567
Posts18,531,811
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.