-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem here is that some names are first/last and others are last/first with no commas. I don't know of any excel function that can sort those out. Also, if you get records with a middle name, too, that's even tougher.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I don't know how to put up a screen shot.
I've got a list, in excel, from the county assessor. The name field is all one field, sometimes last name first, sometimes first name last, sometimes comma separated sometimes not. It's an effing mess when I'm trying to turn it into a mailing list that will look half decent. Also the city, state and zipcode fields are all in one column. My mailing software will usually fix that automatically though.

You need an application that reformats and fixes your mailing list. TCL or C.

The output should be a .csv file with one line per address.

Then use Word and the mailing list to generate the letters and envelopes.

Last edited by ConradCA; 07/17/17.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
sample Sent.

P.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The problem here is that some names are first/last and others are last/first with no commas. I don't know of any excel function that can sort those out. Also, if you get records with a middle name, too, that's even tougher.

I'm not saying this is the best way nor do I proclaim to be an excel guru. Matter of fact, people at work have claimed I do things the long way in excel more than once.

but my example would be taking it out of excel and into notepad

so now you have

Tom Smith
Jones Tom

then you copy that back into Excel using the special past or you replace blanks with blanks and a comma - either way

now you have each name isolated in a cell
Tom | Smith
Jones | Tom

and you can manipulate each column/cell. You're right though, there isn't going to be a macro that knows that Jones is a last name

But at least you can sort, filter (data->filter) and manipulate it. Just make a backup copy before you do any major action. Alot of times when I'm working with files I save a V1, V2, etc so if I totally screw it up I can go back to a version without losing my progress.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You can do it in Excel you don't need to move it to wordpad. Left, Right, Mid are all available to manipulate strings in excel fields.You may need to take a couple of passes at the most complex columns of data. You are just doing a simple data normalization it is not rocket science.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SRM did you get this figured out? If not I can help.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mack5511
You can do it in Excel you don't need to move it to wordpad. Left, Right, Mid are all available to manipulate strings in excel fields.You may need to take a couple of passes at the most complex columns of data. You are just doing a simple data normalization it is not rocket science.
Can Excel look at Bill Jones and know which name is the 1st or last?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for all the repies and help. Persian Dog has been working with me on this and he seems to be making great progress on it. I'll let everyone know if I need more help.

Thanks,
Larry

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rock Chuck,

That is why I said the complex columns may need a couple of passes. Fix the obvious and get it down to the ambiguous first and lasts and you can do it. Excel has the same type of string manipulations as most scripting languages and even more power if you understand a little VBA. There is a website called Mr.Excel that has a forum where you can find some amazing things people have done in Excel.

http://www.mrexcel.com/

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
First, learn the difference between a spreadsheet and a database. Decide what you need to do, and then start asking questions. Good Luck--

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A spreadsheet can be a database, but far more often it's simply a data reporting/processing tool. I use Excel a lot, pivot tables and charts are a very useful thing (pivot tables for me, charts for management because they do best with pretty colors and lines).

Access, MySQL, Oracle, SQLServer, Hadoop, etc. - those are databases in the more proper use of phrase. Specializing in storage of data and ability to query and return data fast.

Unfortunately I'm far from an expert on Excel, I know the tricks that I need to do my work but that's about 1% of Excel's capabilities.

Good luck.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,709
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.