Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Any opinions on this? I tried and like: Lagavulin 16 year, Laphroig 10, and Ardbeg 10 year.

Any outstanding or memorable Islays?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Laphroaig or Ardbeg Uigeadial if you like em with serious peat and smoke.

Last edited by Timbermaster; 07/26/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My opinion, basically in order but things change here and there and some bottles are better than others:

Best:
Lagavulin Distillers Edition

Excellent:
Laphroaig 18
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Laphroaig 10 cask strength

Very good:
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 10
Lagavulin 8
Laphroaig triple wood
Ardbeg 10

The Lagavulin Distillers Edition is a 16-18yr old whisky depending on the vintage that has been matured in sweet sherry casks. It is, in my opinion, a lot better than the 16 yo offering. Compared to the 16yr the DE has more smoke (less clean peat), more depth and complexity, a better finish and an all around more savory taste. It is fantastic. I've had several vintages and they have all been great. The 1996 was the best but that's gonna be harder to track down and cost more money. The current vintage out is very good. Overall I'd say it's the best whisky I've ever had with a few small caveats.

Last edited by huntinaz; 07/26/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bunnahabhain 18 year old The 18 YO stuff, the 25 is positive nectar of the gods but @ $900.00 a bottle it ain't in my pay grade. I did have some once at a rich guys place, yummy, did not want to swallow it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE
Bunnahabhain 18 year old The 18 YO stuff, the 25 is positive nectar of the gods but @ $900.00 a bottle it ain't in my pay grade. I did have some once at a rich guys place, yummy, did not want to swallow it.

So one of the caveats I mentioned in my post I believe was a 25yo Bunnahabhain. Friend bought me a glass years ago before I was experienced and thought a $50 glass of whisky was insane and I tried to talk him out of it. It was divine, whatever it was. It was a 25yo non-peated scotch and to spare a longer story, I believe it was Bunnahabhain.

Bunnahabhain 12yr is quite good as well, a solid non-peated Islay whisky. I have a bottle of Bunnahabhain Marsala finish that I'm curious about but haven't opened it.

Last edited by huntinaz; 07/26/17.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 12 has a bit more bite and back taste compared to the 18 IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T Lee if you wanna gamble on an independent bottling, you can have a Bunnahabhain 26yo for just over $300 shipped.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody touches Laphroiag when it comes to an Islay scotch, IMO.

Had some Lagavualin, Bowmore, Brucchhlauhdi(sp?) and others that were close, but Laphroiag is my fave.

Last edited by MadMooner; 07/26/17. Reason: Fugg Islam and spell check. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Octomore

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nobody touches Laphroiag when it comes to an Islay scotch, IMO.

Had some Lagavualin, Bowmore, Brucchhlauhdi(sp?) and others that were close, but Laphroiag is my fave.

Laphroaig is a great distillery. Laphroaig 10 is such a solid whisky. It's got great peat and enough complexity to make it interesting. It's awesome.

Lagavulin and Laphroaig are about tied overall for first place in my opinion although Ardbeg's Uigeadail is fantastic. Islays are king.

It is my opinion that the Scots make the finest whisky. Malted barley makes one of the best spirits in my opinion, impressionable and develops better complexity than anything made with corn and virgin oak. The addition of smoke, peat and salt really separates scotch from the pack and the Islays from the rest. Smoke and peat add both savoriness and complexity and the Islay malts often have a touch of sea water that really elevates it for me.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only Highland I can afford that runs with the Islays is Aberlour A'Bunadh... no, it is not the intense smoke and peat, but it is richer, denser, more complex, and just plain wonderful compared to most of anything I can afford from Islay.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is phenomenal and in the same World as the Aberlour A...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I will stay in known territory as I rarely get the chance to indulge.

Old cat turd!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talisker is my favorite, especially the 18 year old.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. The Free One
2. All the rest

Confessions of a whisky whore.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The only Highland I can afford that runs with the Islays is Aberlour A'Bunadh... no, it is not the intense smoke and peat, but it is richer, denser, more complex, and just plain wonderful compared to most of anything I can afford from Islay.

I need to check out the A'Bunadh. Hear such good things.

I'm a fan of Talisker and Springbank as well.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Anyone try Ben Brachen 22 year?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ardbeg Uigeadail is tops. Book recommendation: "Peat Smoke and Spirit" Author Andrew Jefford. published 2004. All about Islay and the several distilleries on Islay. About half on the island, history, geology, etc. But the other half goes into great detail about the distilleries, the stills, the routine methods they use, etc. This was published before Kilchoan got started but it's definitely THE book on Islay malts even if it's about 15 years old. Still available on Amazon.
If you ever get to Islay, remember to hit Ardbeg at lunch time because it's the only distillery with a café. Of course Bowmore is in town so you can get something to eat there as well.
Slainte

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I don't often see those mentioned. Outstanding choices.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.