Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Anyone worked up loads with these? They, reportedly, are very good hunting bullets.

DF

No but used the originals in factory loads and they are everything they are cracked up to be. The tipped should be even better. It was the first bullet that gave me full confidence the 270 Win. is an adequate Elk Rifle and even better in a 7RM. I talked with Jack Carter at one of the Dallas Safari Club events several years ago and I was looking at one of his 7mm 175 gr. bullets and ask him what is the largest game he would recomend this for and he said Eland which he had or did take a a couple with that bullet and a 7RM. So that is good enough for me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

O
O
OK, here's a field update for what it's worth. I was not hunting elk, but did shoot a majestic blackbuck, so it might be in the same family as majestic elk I'm guessing ...
I was hunting in thick cover in the Cumberland Mountains, so the shots were short. My concern as it related to Ronnieschneider's post was that the bullet
might disintegrate at high velocity -- mine did not. Load was 7mmRM, 162gr ELD-X, 69.0 RL25, F215. Labradar chrono on this load was 3030fps.
On 3 rams and one blackbuck at ranges of 20, 40, 50 and 150yds., all shots were through-and-through with good exit holes. Three shots (40,50 and 150yds) were
through both shoulders and one shot through one shoulder (was shooting from above the animal).

I was impressed enough that I'm going to buy another box and load it up for antelope and sheep. In spite of the positive experience, I still would pick accubond
or TTSX for elk. Just me.

O
O
Here's an interesting update. I was shopping at Midway USA today and saw this web site product review. This is a direct cut/paste:

Never again

I had one elk tag and two deer tags for my fall 2016 idaho hunt. First animal wounded and finally recovered was a rag horn bull. Not sure what happened but I put two 162 eldx bullets in him standing still at roughly 150 yards. 2900 fps muzzle speed. And he ran over the hill. Not overly fast by no means was this bullet going 280 Ackley. Upon finding him I put another one in him to down him for good. Upon field dressing and skinning idk what happened. Not exit holes. No bullets but a lot of shrapnel. Next animal was a very nice whitetail buck. A close shot 45 yds or so. I saw bullet impact animal what I thought was in the boiler room. He ran off. No big deal I thought. Good hit I thought. Wrong. Never saw that big buck again. Searched for 2 days then it snowed 4 inches so I stopped. After this is was not happy. So I over nighted two boxes of nosler ammo from midway to local sporting goods store. Problem solved next two deer were both bang flops. I've read other reviews that were good. That's awesome for them. But I will never shoot these again at big game. To soft in my opinion.

I would re-iterate that my shots performed well on smaller game, rams and black buck (which is basically an antelope).

Last edited by ohio_jeff; 08/03/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the bottom line is whether or not you need the advantages an ELDX offers. If you need the extreme accuracy and high BC, then use it.

But if you don't need it - and most hunters won't - then don't use it. You might get your tit in a wringer over nothing.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
An old elk hunting buddy of mine, who is also a guide in Alaska, has hunted with lots of folks over the past 40+ years swears by a 175 gr Nosler Partition in a 7mm Remington Mag for elk. Everyone I know who used Hornady bullets or factory ammo has switched to something else. I do know that the 160 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw has piled up a bunch of deer and elk from my son's 7mm. Too bad that was discontinued. :-(
I personally use 150 gr Barnes TTSX in my 7mm Weatherby as do two elk hunting buds in their 7mm RM with much DRT results on elk and mule deer. If'n you put one in the vitals, better have your skinnin' knife handy.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I always recall a story I read by John Wooters who took his 7mm Remington loaded with 175gn Nosler's to Africa.
He praised it.
I like it in the 7mm Remington and it is one of the most accurate bullets I ever tried in the .7x57.
JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To those of you who answered regarding the ELD-X I appreciate it. I no longer own a 7mmRemMag but, when I did I tried a lot of different bullets. Mine did very well with 160gr Nosler PT.

Now I'm playing with a .300 Win Mag and although I have several choices I am thinking I may use it this year. I bought some 200gr. ELD-X and thought they'd be fine. No practical experience. If I needed it, I have a 180gr E-tip load that's shooting pretty well, and even some Federal bonded core factory stuff if I get desperate. I was hoping to get some real world experiences of the ELD-X on game. My old reliable has been a .338WM with 250's. Boring, but effective.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have killed quite a few elk with a 7mag loaded with 150 swift sirocco bonded bullets. I would also recommend 160 nosler bonded or Barnes x if they will shoot good for you. I try to use a bullet that will have a good bc but still hold together on a close in the timber shot. Especially with a 7 mag or other fast bullet. I don't have an opinion on the eld x because I haven't used one. I would be concerned enough about a close shot that I would just stick with what I know works for me...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
160 Accubonds or partition

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by BigNate
For those of you who are against using the 162gr. ELD-X I'd like to know why. Maybe some real experience stories, test results, etc. They look to be every bit as stout as the IL, and / or Rem CL. Placement is way more important than nearly everything else.

We agree on placement - with good placement almost any bullet will work.

I'll reserve judgement on the ELD-X until I see multiple test or on-game results and have put some into water jugs. In the meantime I won't use them on elk or deer as they are too close in design to SST and InterLock and I expect similar performance. Haven't used a bolt rifle with an InterLock or other standard cup-and-core on elk or deer since my first back in the early 1980's. If the ELD-X have a pure or soft lead core I would expect them to come apart fairly easily.

At ranges where most elk are taken (under 400 yards for sure, probably under 300 and my guess is even less), the B.C. advantage of the ELD-X is minimal at best. My particular concern, as it is with many cup-and-core bullets, is weight retention with high velocity (close range) impacts, especially on bad angles.

Weight retention isn't the sole determining factor in bullet penetration, but it is an important one. Hornady claims 50-60% retention for the ELD-X, which is probably right -- the InterLock I used on my first elk retained less than 48% (47.7% IIRC). Hornady also admits in their documentation that "High impact velocities may occasionally cause the ELD-X bullet jacket to roll back past the InterLock ring during penetration".

Thanks, but I'll stick with bonded, monos, and other designs like the North Fork SS, Federal Trophy Bonded, Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, etc. These bullets are all proven performers, even under difficult circumstances such as close range or bad angles.

But to each their own.

Amen...preach it. Very good advice here.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
buddy uses 160 accubonds out of 7RM and it works well. Kills em dead when placed into the boiler room at any angle.

Salmonhead
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Would I use the Eld-X on elk, no because there are so many better bullets out there. Another vote for the 160 grain Partition.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Partition.... 140, 160 grains or one of the 160 accubond factory loads.

Been more than a few elk made dead round here with reg. 7mm rem mag 175 gr. core-lokt, power points, fed blue box 175 loads too.....

Shot placement is mostly the cause of dead elk though. Premium bullets are never a bad idea, they DO help with heavy bones, a mud caked hide, think muscles, hard angles... all of which can/will be encountered hunting elk

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,244
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.