Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually Pete Brown was the shooting/firearms columnist, not hunting editor.

Yes, you're correct

I also liked his camping articles. I bought a Whelen tent thanks to him.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Back then, before hunters wanted to shoot then get out ASAP, hunts often lasted 30 days for multiple animals. And that would be into the 1930's or 40's. Had to be wasted meat unless the packers took it and returned to the outfitters main camp. Different times-and lacking the good cooler chests of today-but I'm thinking those who cared took care of the meat the best they could. Those who didn't didn't. The same occurs today.

Last edited by battue; 08/06/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RinB
BWalker
I was in Mr O'Connor's study and home only once. I was around 21 and was quite overwhelmed just to be there. When I called him he said that if I was willing to drive the 5 hours to get to Lewiston that he would give me an hour. He was very gracious and friendly. I was there for about 4 hours.

I could pretty much repeat verbatim everything he had written. I was surprised that he said the same things in our visit that he had written many times before. I later concluded that he really meant what he offered to his readers.

When we first entered his study, there were at least two empty scotch bottles on the floor. He said,"better bury these dead soldiers". He picked them up and tossed them both into an old green metal garbage can which already held another bottle. That trash can was at least 12 plus feet away. I swear, both bottles were in the air at the same time. Both landed in that old can without tipping it even a little. His throw was smooth and accurate. My impression was that he could have done that with his eyes closed.

I wasn't an experienced booze drinker so I may be wrong about the brand but am clear that all three were green bottles with yellow or brown labels. Actually I was pretty much in a state of shock to see all those big sheep heads in his garage/study.

What a superb example of athleticism. And both in the air at the same time. And probably three in a row. WOW!!!! Wonder if they were on the floor because he missed previously? The unanswered questions of the life of the famous. Think perhaps they may have been planted for a reason? Perhaps a subtle hint to the visitor? He didn't seem the type to just have empty booze bottles scattered around on the floor.

In reading "The Last Book" if I remember correctly, he looked at those calling to visit mostly as a PITA. He didn't seem to appreciate it all that much.

Last edited by battue; 08/06/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
JamesJR

There is truth in your post. Our hunting culture ethics and mores (not to mention supportive technology) have changed for the better in the last 100-125 years. Traveling cross country by horse or wagon without refrigeration, it would be hard to eat even a whole deer before it spoiled- at least without jerking it, which takes time they often could not afford - so it was 2 or 3 days worth of take along, and kill another. Those two week pack trips with only camp meat salvaged were part of the transition, thankfully gone now.

"and find that an predator had gotten the meat that night.....and they didn't worry about it in the least. Instead, they just went out and shoot another one."

Still happens in my part of the country, as does a bunch of other stuff "Cultural", and often non-cultural related. Enforcement is spread so thin over so much area... and there is so danged much country that many incidents never get discovered.

Troopers claim they nail miscreants in 80% of their cases. I would add that that's just the ones they become aware of. Of course, it helps when someone drops a form of ID at the site, or backs their license plate into an impressionable snowbank, all of which has happened.

I once had a caribou kill hit overnight by a brown bear, but it didn't do much damage, preferring the gut pile which had rolled 50 yards or so down the steep slope. It ate the liver, bit the heart, cleaned off the brisket is all. And dropped about 5 gallons of blueberry poop all around, but not fouling the carcass. One of the kids hit one little "tangy" piece of meat and accused me of not "cleaning off all the bear slobber". smile. Bear was still on the gut pile the next morning, and was a bit disgruntled at my language, all the way out of sight. Most likely came back later.

You can read one such example of "cultural" norm (often referred as "white man's rules") posted today on the Alaska forum. Best part on that one is these guys were probably Narked out by someone they bragged to. Slobs in every culture, of course.

I watch "Wardens". smile

Last edited by las; 08/06/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RinB
BWalker
I was in Mr O'Connor's study and home only once. I was around 21 and was quite overwhelmed just to be there. When I called him he said that if I was willing to drive the 5 hours to get to Lewiston that he would give me an hour. He was very gracious and friendly. I was there for about 4 hours.

I could pretty much repeat verbatim everything he had written. I was surprised that he said the same things in our visit that he had written many times before. I later concluded that he really meant what he offered to his readers.

When we first entered his study, there were at least two empty scotch bottles on the floor. He said,"better bury these dead soldiers". He picked them up and tossed them both into an old green metal garbage can which already held another bottle. That trash can was at least 12 plus feet away. I swear, both bottles were in the air at the same time. Both landed in that old can without tipping it even a little. His throw was smooth and accurate. My impression was that he could have done that with his eyes closed.

I wasn't an experienced booze drinker so I may be wrong about the brand but am clear that all three were green bottles with yellow or brown labels. Actually I was pretty much in a state of shock to see all those big sheep heads in his garage/study.

I forgot where I read about the Passport thing. At any rate being a O'Connor fan I had to try some. It was a bit harsh to say the least! And it is in a green bottle.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,135
Posts18,502,708
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.