-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got stung by a yellow jacket to day. Fortunately the do not affect me except for the hurt after the sting. How many are affected by stings.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12213032/yellow-jacket

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got hit a week ago and it made me ache all over for a few days.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
honey bee sting = anaphylaxis
yellow jacket = swollen arm, leg, whatever.
bald face hornet = uncontrolled screaming, thrashing around, blindly running in circles!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The honeybees are almost gone around here. Yellowjackets feed on my figs but nest elsewhere thank goodness. Cornwallis called our town "a Hornets' Nest of Rebellion". My daughter found a nest in a tree in woods along the Saluda in Columbia a couple years ago but I haven't run across any in either Carolina since I was a teen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got hit today but for some reason it didn't effect me like it usually does.
Normally I have a pretty bad reaction.....not Epi-Pen worthy but bad enough.
I know one thing tough....that little sumbitch better hope I don't find out where he lives because I have a can of wasp killer with his name on it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am lucky wasp stings do affect me. They hurt for a little while and there is a red spot but that is it. The rest of my family need the EPI-Pen quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stings are a non issue other than the initial burn. Tick off those yellow jackets though and the will pursue one for a couple hundred yards. My approach not if I stir them up is to stand calmly, keep my eye on as many as possible, and smash them flat as soon as the touch down.

1Minute
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A bald faced hornet nailed me on my left index finger upper knuckle here in north Idaho five days ago. Immediately, though short lived, stung like a bastard then gone. Two days later my hand was swollen big time, red and itching everywhere. Took some meds and two days later all was good. First timer with one of those wicked things.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Early goose season, breasting out birds......yellow jackets buzz between fingers.

Icewater in my veins when they let me know they're there. Never stung cleaning game.

Reaction before (bounced off Jeep mirror- nailed me on belly) had me at ER.............supposed to have Epi at all times.
Benadryl in truck.......hunt close to civilization.

Swelled up on arm a couple yrs before the ER visit one. Bright red, flaming hot 2 hrs............then was OK. Weird. Nailed on archery course.

The ER one..............had hives for over a month........all over, high density too. Felt like death.............no sleep, no relief, plus feeling sick all the time. Pretty brutal.

Been stung twice since........felt crappy, minor hive event from one. Usually OK in 3 days.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea, I killed and pissed off a lot of Yellow Jackets wasps yesterday I found a couple big nests of them and sprayed them real good... they weren't happy.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A week ago my wife got stung by a bee just above the wrist. Her arm swelled from wrist to elbow and she itched up to her neck for a couple days. The swelling lasted 3 or 4 days.
2 days ago, I got stung on the elbow by something, I think it was a wasp but I swatted it so fast that it didn't inject any poison. It quit hurting in about 30 min and didn't swell a bit.

My worst was years ago when I got a wasp inside my motorcycle helmet. It stung me 3 times on the temple. If I'd been allergic that one would have been serious. Have you ever steered a bike at 60 with your knees while ripping off your helmet and screaming obscenities?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hate getting stung, but no reaction other than pain.

We have lots of places for bee's nests where I work. Mainly wasps. I buy bee killer by the case and we kill them whenever we find a nest. A couple of weeks ago, my guys found a nest, but to busy to take care of it at that moment. About 5 minutes later, a customer got hit. He was a little pissed when he found out they knew about it, but apologies were accepted.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I worked at Va Tech the summer after graduating high school. Weedeating the outer campus. Golf course, barns, research blds etc. I held the record that summer for bee stings. No allergies to them, but one got me between the eyes that knocked me off my feet. Every kid should have a job like that starting off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife got popped three times by one of the underground nests couple weeks ago. Had to fire-bomb the little bastids once the sun went down, then buried their azz. You never know about those underground nests till you stumble over one, then its too late.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bad news for this kid. Lots of ice on the site and a broncho-dilator inhaler...almost-not-quite- anaphylaxis..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got nailed three times a couple weeks ago by yellow jackets. Was walking back from my game camera and they where on my legs. Hurt a bit more than a bee sting, but the overall effect is the same (well except for the hives a bee sting gave my a month or so ago. Still waiting to hear from the allergist about that). Slight swelling and itching for a day or so.

Haven't figured out where exactly the nest (ground) is so I can bring down holy retribution on it.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Get some papaya extract tablets from the health food store. Crush one, make a paste with water, and slap it on a fresh bee, wasp, or scorpion sting. The papaya enzyme destroys the venom. You do have to get it in the first few minutes. The relief is immediate.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was doing some work on the woodlot a couple of weeks ago and bent over face first right into a nest. Got whacked 8 times in the face, 3-4 on top of my head, and 2 times on my back. While I don't normally react, I swelled up like a ballon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have paper wasps, mud daubbers, and whatever the black ones are called.
Not so much yellow jackets.
Gotten a couple scorpion stings while sleeping this year. Those will leave a mark.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,885
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.