Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Knothead Stepdaughter #1 is heading to Hopkinsville, KY for the event. It's a fairly small town for the expected huge crowd. Frankly, for them, it's a five-hour round trip, for a two minute event. Not in a thousand years would I bother with that. I hate crowds, anyway. I fully expect to be at a range, shooting some rifles. I have to get my deer rifles ready, and want to plink with some rimfires and maybe a rat rifle or two, too. I plan to make a day of it.

That's in the county live in, and they are really making a big deal out of it. The greatest point of eclipse totality.....by a half a second or so......is here, and they are really exploiting it. Even the local Mennonites are getting in on it, and when you see them selling crap on the side of the road, you know it's a big deal. It's actually a little embarrassing to see what's going on, with people advertising parking for the eclipse, at $20-$25 a car. I've already made a couple of the locals mad by telling them that I hoped it rained and they didn't have a damn soul show up. I'm all for free enterprise, but I'm not for watching people get ripped off.

I'll work around here on the farm, watch it get dark, then watch it get light again, and life will go on as usual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People will need the weather to cooperate and it may not in some areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll see how today and tomorrow morning goes but at this point all th news outlets are wondering where all the people are on the roads and towns in the path.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Stupid bastids all!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hows the crowd in Ola, we've considered going thru there in the morning?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With the influx of women to the rural areas, when it goes dark it'll be a good time to GTBTP!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There's less traffic here than a normal summer weekend, almost eerie.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Went up to Potland area yesterday and took my wife on the Paddle Steamer Dinner Cruise thru the
Columbia River Gorge...

No real back ups on the way up there.... guess many out of staters are already up there...

There was a lot of 5th wheels and Winnebagos heading north with CA plates to...

Hotel/Motel Parking lots were awfully full...as were rest areas etc...

Did make the mistake of taking the wife on the Old River Gorge Highway, old US 30...

Jammed with plenty of Californians sight seeing...

Plenty of foreign idiots also, Chinese, Muslims, Mexicans etc...

along with the Antifa looking types...unemployed, no hygiene etc...

The seem to have NO problem stopping in the middle of the road, even if they are blocking 50 cars behind them.

Wish I had an M 60 Tank when I went thru Multnomah Falls....there would have been plenty of scrap
metal with CA plates on them...

The gas shortage scare was all BS

Did find spots where Joe California thought parking his 5th wheel and his Jeep Rubicon he was towing behind it,
to park it on the I 5 break down lane, was legal.. I mean heck, they are in Oregon and what does Oregon matter?
Californians are special and can do whatever they want....after all, Oregon is a third world country isn't it?

Not all were like that... but they do have an overabundance of A Holes...

but on the other hand, we have Potland Crowds....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH

We went through town about an hour ago. Traffic is light but watch for bicycles. There are places renting out camping places and a few campers are around but so far nothing more than during hunting season.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Went up to Potland area yesterday and took my wife on the Paddle Steamer Dinner Cruise thru the
Columbia River Gorge...

No real back ups on the way up there.... guess many out of staters are already up there...

There was a lot of 5th wheels and Winnebagos heading north with CA plates to...

Hotel/Motel Parking lots were awfully full...as were rest areas etc...

Did make the mistake of taking the wife on the Old River Gorge Highway, old US 30...

Jammed with plenty of Californians sight seeing...

Plenty of foreign idiots also, Chinese, Muslims, Mexicans etc...

along with the Antifa looking types...unemployed, no hygiene etc...

The seem to have NO problem stopping in the middle of the road, even if they are blocking 50 cars behind them.

Wish I had an M 60 Tank when I went thru Multnomah Falls....there would have been plenty of scrap
metal with CA plates on them...

The gas shortage scare was all BS

Did find spots where Joe California thought parking his 5th wheel and his Jeep Rubicon he was towing behind it,
to park it on the I 5 break down lane, was legal.. I mean heck, they are in Oregon and what does Oregon matter?
Californians are special and can do whatever they want....after all, Oregon is a third world country isn't it?

Not all were like that... but they do have an overabundance of A Holes...

but on the other hand, we have Potland Crowds....

So basically a 'normal' Summer weekend in Portlandia.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And yet in just a few more hours, the entire country will be involuntarily plunged into an even more comprehensive inky darkness, an event we call night time.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

We went through town about an hour ago. Traffic is light but watch for bicycles. There are places renting out camping places and a few campers are around but so far nothing more than during hunting season.

Just got back from a trip up to Sagehen reservoir. There are lots of people camped north of here. There aren't too many on the road but it's not a pleasant trip due to dust and the washboardy road. Once you hit the nat forest there are lots of places to pull over to watch the eclipse. There are some high clouds right now.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Be funny as hell when it's raining or heavily clouded and there really ain't nothing to see all these stupid bastards driving and traveling that far.

Last edited by ldholton; 08/20/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I experience an eclipse every night after the sun sets. Its a predictable and natural phenomenom - not even affected by climate change - well maybe. What's all the fuss over?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
Be funny as hell when it's raining or heavily clouded and there really ain't nothing to see all these stupid bastards driving and traveling that far.
How sweet. You despise and insult everyone who doesn't think just like you do. That shows a very narrow mind.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just got back from a trip up to Sagehen reservoir. There are lots of people camped north of here. There aren't too many on the road but it's not a pleasant trip due to dust and the washboardy road. Once you hit the nat forest there are lots of places to pull over to watch the eclipse. There are some high clouds right now.

Traffic and dust is a concern where we were going to go near Crane Creek Res. for the full two minutes.
It lasts 25 seconds here at the house, but a ten miles north keeps us on the pavement, gives us 1 1/2 minutes, and no tourists dust to deal with, so that is what I think we will do.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm hoping for mass suicide from all the dirt bag hippies, worshipping this event.

We'll see.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We have brunch planned here on the mountain. Few people, no vehicles other than a neighbor dropping by on his/her ATV. Supposed to be a 91% shot. Bagels, cream cheese and smoked lake caught Kokanee and Bloody Mary's.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We live on a cut-off road into Yamhill Valley. About 15 minutes (normally) from us is the northern edge of totality. While traffic isn't bad, it's certainly higher than normal and all going the opposite direction than usual.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Traffic and dust is a concern where we were going to go near Crane Creek Res. for the full two minutes.
It lasts 25 seconds here at the house, but a ten miles north keeps us on the pavement, gives us 1 1/2 minutes, and no tourists dust to deal with, so that is what I think we will do.
We're at friends place in Ola. They live on a hill overlooking the highway. There has been a steady stream of traffic since daybreak. There is public land starting 8 or 10 miles north and I think a lot of them are heading there. There's no place to pull off around here. It turns to gravel about 2 miles north of here and I suspect it will get pretty dusty.
The worst part will be after lunch when all these people head back to Boise at the same time. We're not leaving until tomorrow.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.