Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hello fellow shooters! I am here today to do some simple research on the pulse of you shooters.

I hope this is allowed for me to inquire in this way to canvas your opinions of what you would like to see or try. I apologize if this isn't allowed.

I have been given a unique opportunity to equip an indoor shooting facility with various fire arms! Talk about a fun project!

The top rated handguns that I see here and at a few other sites will help me choose the firearms we will include in the facility to rent to customers to shoot on our range. I won't advertise the name of the business, but just want to see what you guys think would be the best to have a chance to shoot.

I am curious of what the top 10 hand gun picks would be.
What make/models, calibers etc.

Thank you in advance guys, and I look forward to your input!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glock 18

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Desert Eagles,
M/P
FN 5.7
BFR
R8
22 TCM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, besides the usual rental guns like Glocks, I'd like to see the option of at least one .22 LR revolver like an SP 101, LCRX, or S&W 617, probably both a Buckmark & Ruger Mark 3/4 (to give a good comparison), a .38 snubby (preferably S&W for the trigger), an LCP, a Shield, a single action .45, a Kahr, a 1911, and a Hipower (or clone thereof).

In most of those categories, I've owned enough different guns to have made a choice; but for instance, I've always heard good things about, but never even shot a Buckmark or Hipower and it would be nice to see what I'm missing. Or maybe not. 😲

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
L or K frame smith and Wesson revolvers.
Commander 1911's
Large bore Ruger revolvers

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What would get ME in the door to use your range?

.30 Mauser Bolo
.30 or 9mm Luger
Colt 1878 D/A in any caliber
.22 TCM 1911
.455 Webley-Fosbery
7mm Baby Nambu
.44 Smith & Wesson New Model Number 3
.38 ACP Colt 1902 Military (or Sporting)
Ithaca Auto and Burglar 20 gauge
Harrington & Richardson Handy Gun 28 gauge

Last edited by Ploughman; 08/25/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would get guns that have high reliability and are supported with free repairs like SW. I imagine moderate calibers with cheaper ammo like the 9mm would get shot more that expensive big bangers like the 460SW. People like to try before they buy, so popular guns like the SW Shield, Glock 19, Ruger Single actions, Ruger MK3/4 22, would be used a lot in my opinion. You said handguns, but maybe a Ruger 10/22 would get a lot of use. I would be looking for low maintenance, safety, and ease of repair.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DTHUNTER
Hello fellow shooters! I am here today to do some simple research on the pulse of you shooters.

I hope this is allowed for me to inquire in this way to canvas your opinions of what you would like to see or try. I apologize if this isn't allowed.

I have been given a unique opportunity to equip an indoor shooting facility with various fire arms! Talk about a fun project!

The top rated handguns that I see here and at a few other sites will help me choose the firearms we will include in the facility to rent to customers to shoot on our range. I won't advertise the name of the business, but just want to see what you guys think would be the best to have a chance to shoot.

Is this for potential purchasing or an "always wanted to" type experience?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
10 is way too few. However, if I had to live with that restriction, I'd do 3 rimfires, 3 centerfire semi-autos, and 3 centerfire revolvers.

Rimfires: Ruger Mk III target 5-1/2" barrel, Ruger Single Six 6-1/2" barrel, S&W K frame 6" barrel. That represents one-each semi-auto, single action, and double action.

Centerfire semi-autos - a full sized 1911 in .45 to represent single actions, a Glock .40 to represent striker-fire, and a Sig 9mm to represent the DA/SA guns.

Centerfire revolvers - Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 4" .357 to represent full size "duty" revolvers, a Charter Arms .32 mag for the small guns, and a Super Blackhawk .44 to represent the single actions.

That 10th one ... Desert Eagle .50AI, S&W X frame .500, Ruger Bisley .454, or an Encore in '06 .. something that not everyone would want to shoot yet for noobs equates to bragging rights.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Having recently retired from 9 years in that business here are my thoughts:

Most ranges are now converting to lead free ammo, if you anticipate a high volume of users this will be mandatory to protect the health of your employees. Availability of lead free frangible ammo will dictate some of your handgun choices. Be sure to check on health dept. regs. regarding employee and customer.

Big boomers are popular and folks will pay a premium to shoot them, i.e. $10.00/round. Shooters of the big stuff will require close supervision. Desert Eagles are popular but require constant maintenance. Ruger revolvers far outperformed all others.

If there is a retail operation co-located w/ the range be sure to represent your retail guns as this can be the closer and build customer loyalty providing the staff is well trained.

Glocks are very popular and outperform all others in maintenance. Sigs also are popular and are dependable espescialy the 226 and 220. HK guns are popular and perform well but are very difficult to acquire parts for.

Good luck

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Put a Dan Wesson super mag on the line--357 ,max and a 4" barrel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DTHUNTER

I assume the range will also be selling guns. So it would be a good idea to have AT LEAST the top 5 selling handguns, and stay on top of that list.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/4/13/top-selling-handguns-for-march-2017/

Back in the 90's the place where I was gunsmithing was also an indoor range. So if you want to PM me, I can give you some pointers on the joys (NOT!) of running and maintaining an indoor shooting range. (lead cleaning, ventilation, brass sales, etc.).

The major manufacturers have range gun programs, so reach out to the big names to get yourself setup. At first it may seem they're wanting you to swap out guns a little too often, but you'll quickly learn that they have it just about right. You'll also learn that .40's wear out pretty fast in comparison to 9mm's and .45's.

Some guns to always have beyond what's on the top 10 list.

1 - Lady friendly guns. Ruger SP-101, S&W 442, Kahr 9mm, S&W 3913, S&W Shield

2 - Desert Eagle .50 AE - Honestly, this pistol is the biggest piece of [bleep] ever inflicted on a shooting range. But you'll make a fortune in .50 AE ammo sales. Just be forewarned, they're high maintenance, and they break parts somewhat often. Get a bright nickle one. It's flashier, and attracts attention quickly, and they're also a little easier to clean (always nice).

3 - 8 3/8" S&W 629 - We learned this one on a fluke. It turned out to be a VERY popular rental, and again, most didn't come with ammo so they had to buy from us.

4 - Ruger Mk IV - Get a couple of them in different configurations. I would recommend one with a suppressor and red dot sight; that will be VERY popular.

5 - Make sure you have cans for 9mm & .45, and a few guns with threaded barrels to put them on...again, VERY popular.

6 - 9mm suppressed SBR AR.

Just some brain droppings from what I remember. Hope it's helpful.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Glock 18
Bren Ten
Freedom Arms 454 Casull

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Oddly enough, another crowd pleaser is the hoary old Special, a Model 10 Smith. We had a couple of them in our rental case, along with a Beretta 92, Ruger Mk whatevers, and a Colt 1991 Commander. Along with a Glock, of course (this was from '89-'91, guns have changed in popularity since then, but those got the WORKOUT), and a Buckmark Varmint model with a cheap 2X scope. You'd be amazed at the popularity of that old Smith .38, though. All those guns got worked hard, though they did get cleaned regularly. Another "can't break it with a sledgehammer" was the Ruger 85 9mm. Butt-ugly, but they worked always. Now and then we'd have to send one back to the maker (Beretta 92), but the others soldiered on. We even had a 3" Smith 657 for awhile, but due to a lack of cheaper .41 Mag. ammo, it didn't get much action. Fun times.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I would pay to shoot a Witness elite match in 10mm, before I purchase one.

And a Ruger 1911 in 10mm.

Maybe an old broom handle Mauser.

But I have somewhat eclectic tastes in firearms.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.