Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I don't wish a hurricane on anybody, but the best thing this storm can do is go straight up Florida and die before.it hits the hot Gulf and gets really bad.

It would slow down faster that way, for sure, but it looks like it will skirt the eastern coast of Florida, maintaining power all the way up, as it devastates the coast, then slam into the panhandle at high power.

That would be the western coast.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too large and strong to play with.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And likely to get a lot worse if it does. Right now, it's not that bad of a storm...125mph with a 15' surge AT THE EYE WALL. Don't get me wrong, that's a bad deal for somebody, but it can get a lot stronger quickly if it gets a chance to build in warm, shallow water. You always gotta remember, the weather media is just as bad as any other...it's all about the ratings, and the more people they can scare the better.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It's a Cat 3 now, but they're saying it will go Cat 4 in the Straights...water temps are 91 deg F, it will recharge and come harder.....be safe all, if you can run-do so now !

God Bless all in her path

Last edited by Bwana_1; 09/09/17.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't wish a hurricane on anybody, but the best thing this storm can do is go straight up Florida and die before.it hits the hot Gulf and gets really bad.

It would slow down faster that way, for sure, but it looks like it will skirt the eastern coast of Florida, maintaining power all the way up, as it devastates the coast, then slam into the panhandle at high power.

That would be the western coast.

Yep. That was a slip.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Has the SOB even started to make a turn north?

If you told me landfall was to be in Panama City Monday night at a CAT 5, I'd believe it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If any part of it is on land, it will continue to weaken even further. That's the good news of the current track. Fingers crossed.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, staying on Cuba good. Fcuk them communist bastards.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
They are still saying Naples/Fort Myer landfall...it's traveling 9 mph right now, slowed down but will gain steam and power over Straights.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've never met a natural disaster that could read a code book. I've also never seen a building department that requires all structures to be built above the highest possible storm surges or flood water lines.

That's never going to happen. People want to live by and enjoy the water. Take a look at the HWM (high water mark) pics for Mississippi after Katrina. There's one of a researcher holding a grade stick next to a tree to determine Katrina's HWM. It's 30' high! There is no preparation on earth that can prepare you for that. Disallowing building below "possible" HWM would never happen. Darn near the entire state would have to be moved into Georgia or elsewhere. grin

Most of Florida is flatlands, with marshland, hardwood hammock, and mangrove estuaries making up the rest.

I now live the farthest from the beach I have in the last 50 years, 9 miles. About 5 mins from the Glades.

Lotta bangin and haulin the last 3-4 days. Some people still working together. Got plenty of good exercise. Hands are toughened back up with the usual knicks and gouges from this kind of stuff.

Now it's just a waiting game. Say a prayer for T LEE and the rest of the folks on the west coast of FL. They could use it right about now. Most of my family and lots of old friends there. So, I'm of course concerned about them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Uhh. You just did.

Now go wash your mouth out with an Old Milwaukee. grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Uhh. You just did.

Now go wash your mouth out with an Old Milwaukee. grin

Dude!

Nobody deserves that!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Monday morning, we will be seeing a cat 2 hurricane on top of Cedar Key. The same conditions here in town. Same conditions over in St Augustine. Folks have no idea of how large this bitch is. Same storm, hurricane winds on both coasts, and all across the State.

Sam......

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The eye has been moving toward the west or 280 degrees at about 8kt. The hurricane is about the reach the southwestern portion of the subtropical high, and the expected turn to the northwest and north-northwest should begin soon. The track guidance is tightly packed and takes the hurricane over the Florida Keys and near or over the Florida Peninsula. The NHC forecast is in the middle of the guidance envelope and given the good agreement among models, the confidence in the track forecast is high. Irma is now under the scope of Key West radar, so hourly updates will begin at 1600 UTC.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never met a natural disaster that could read a code book. I've also never seen a building department that requires all structures to be built above the highest possible storm surges or flood water lines.

That's never going to happen. People want to live by and enjoy the water. Take a look at the HWM (high water mark) pics for Mississippi after Katrina. There's one of a researcher holding a grade stick next to a tree to determine Katrina's HWM. It's 30' high! There is no preparation on earth that can prepare you for that. Disallowing building below "possible" HWM would never happen. Darn near the entire state would have to be moved into Georgia or elsewhere. grin

Most of Florida is flatlands, with marshland, hardwood hammock, and mangrove estuaries making up the rest.

I now live the farthest from the beach I have in the last 50 years, 9 miles. About 5 mins from the Glades.

Lotta bangin and haulin the last 3-4 days. Some people still working together. Got plenty of good exercise. Hands are toughened back up with the usual knicks and gouges from this kind of stuff.

Now it's just a waiting game. Say a prayer for T LEE and the rest of the folks on the west coast of FL. They could use it right about now. Most of my family and lots of old friends there. So, I'm of course concerned about them.

I completely understand, if I was going to get land in the tropics I'd want it to be beachfront if I could afford it. I'm keep all in my prayers and am thankful my son got a flight out of Miami on Wednesday. I sadly have a feeling he won't be going back to school for the rest of this semester, and who knows beyond that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I completely understand, if I was going to get land in the tropics I'd want it to be beachfront if I could afford it. I'm keep all in my prayers and am thankful my son got a flight out of Miami on Wednesday. I sadly have a feeling he won't be going back to school for the rest of this semester, and who knows beyond that.

458, where does you son go to school? UM?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty mind boggling how big this bitch is (courtesy NASA)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

458, where does you son go to school? UM?

Yup, he's a cane.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
God bless Robert E and T Lee.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Few bands of rain and wind moving into Lee County right now. Blowing pretty good but nothing like it will be tomorow.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,226
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.