Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Pretty mind boggling how big this bitch is (courtesy NASA)

[Linked Image]

Part of one of those arms, just a few minutes ago, flew over my area. Suddenly, from a calm placid day, it became tropical storm-like, with gale force winds and showers. It only lasted a few minutes. It's back to being a placid, dry, day. Just a tiny taste of what's to come.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anybody know if the Gulf Gate area of Sarasota is under mandatory evacuation? I have a rental house there and haven't been able to reach the tenants. I hope they made it somewhere safe. As of yesterday they weren't being evacuated.

------------------------
John
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Getting the beginnings here as well.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Don't know if this is a common occurrence in all hurricanes having never been anywhere close to one myself, but if not, this Facebook video is very telling as to the power of Irma, to say the least.

"Long Island, Bahamas ! There is no more ocean ! As far as the eye can see . And they don't know where it went ! Wow .... Irma is more powerful than people think ! Be safe guys . πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ
Update: Long Island has the all clear .. The sea is gradually coming back! Praise God...."

https://www.facebook.com/kelly.johnson.184881/posts/10211816020014053

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's the opposite of storm surge. It's called storm suck..

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well I got a bunch of family in Ft. Meyers that finally evacuated this AM to Jacksonville. Good thing, as one aunt and uncle live in what's called a Class A area from what I understand- an area most at risk for storm surge. Their condo was built in '06 and is rated for this, but not the surge. My cousin and her wife (yeah, you read it right) are going to lose their house for sure. Built in the 60's.

I have a real bad feeling there's going to be a lot of deaths in SW Florida due to people not fully understanding how big the storm surge is going to be. Wind is one thing, but 15' of water surging miles inland in some places is just unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Link to some pretty cool web cams!

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/hurri...eb-cams-florida-miami-tampa-keys-videos/

Wondering how long the beer bottle makes it in this one from Hogs Breath. Cup too!

https://www.hogsbreath.com/keywest/index.php/hog-cam-bar-cam/

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by joken2

Don't know if this is a common occurrence in all hurricanes having never been anywhere close to one myself, but if not, this Facebook video is very telling as to the power of Irma, to say the least.

"Long Island, Bahamas ! There is no more ocean ! As far as the eye can see . And they don't know where it went ! Wow .... Irma is more powerful than people think ! Be safe guys . πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ
Update: Long Island has the all clear .. The sea is gradually coming back! Praise God...."

https://www.facebook.com/kelly.johnson.184881/posts/10211816020014053

Weird. Suddenly, the little island has become a huge island, if only temporarily.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've never met a natural disaster that could read a code book. I've also never seen a building department that requires all structures to be built above the highest possible storm surges or flood water lines.

That's never going to happen. People want to live by and enjoy the water. Take a look at the HWM (high water mark) pics for Mississippi after Katrina. There's one of a researcher holding a grade stick next to a tree to determine Katrina's HWM. It's 30' high! There is no preparation on earth that can prepare you for that. Disallowing building below "possible" HWM would never happen. Darn near the entire state would have to be moved into Georgia or elsewhere. grin

Most of Florida is flatlands, with marshland, hardwood hammock, and mangrove estuaries making up the rest.

I now live the farthest from the beach I have in the last 50 years, 9 miles. About 5 mins from the Glades.

Lotta bangin and haulin the last 3-4 days. Some people still working together. Got plenty of good exercise. Hands are toughened back up with the usual knicks and gouges from this kind of stuff.

Now it's just a waiting game. Say a prayer for T LEE and the rest of the folks on the west coast of FL. They could use it right about now. Most of my family and lots of old friends there. So, I'm of course concerned about them.

I completely understand, if I was going to get land in the tropics I'd want it to be beachfront if I could afford it. I'm keep all in my prayers and am thankful my son got a flight out of Miami on Wednesday. I sadly have a feeling he won't be going back to school for the rest of this semester, and who knows beyond that.

458, where does you son go to school? UM?

Yup, he's a cane.

Oh ye of deep pockets. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a fishing buddy evacuating to my place right now. He lives five miles from the coast , maybe further but he is in a storm surge area. Im on the east side of I 75 so we are considered high ground. Shelter where his wife and kids are is full so he has no where to go. His wife works at the hospital so they are there. He said he has ice cream so I said come on out.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 09/09/17.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He went to local college for his first three semesters (which was nearly free with his scholarship) then transferred last spring. He's got a scholarship at UM, and mama's working full time to pay the rest.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
Link to some pretty cool web cams!

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/hurri...eb-cams-florida-miami-tampa-keys-videos/

Wondering how long the beer bottle makes it in this one from Hogs Breath. Cup too!

https://www.hogsbreath.com/keywest/index.php/hog-cam-bar-cam/

The Hogs Breath Cam is barely hanging on but I remain impressed. And the lights came on!! Wondering of someone super glued the bottle to the bar. wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd eat that ice cream tonight. How far south are you?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Good advice .I'm in Fort Myers about 20 miles south of T Lee.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm in Naples. We've been getting small rain bands throughout the afternoon and have a steady light rain as I type.

We are expecting it to get a lot worse as the night goes on.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Good advice .I'm in Fort Myers about 20 miles south of T Lee.

Run!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I'm in Naples. We've been getting small rain bands throughout the afternoon and have a steady light rain as I type.

Good luck down there Dixie.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Our place is in Lely, but we're up in PA through the end of hunting season. Good luck! The storm surge predictions are looking pretty nasty. Hang in there and please keep us updated as long as you have power.

------------------------
John
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The worst of the hurricane will be tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as long as I have power.

I have relatives on Sabal Palm Road and Golden Gate Boulevard. My grand babies are in San Carlos.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He went to local college for his first three semesters (which was nearly free with his scholarship) then transferred last spring. He's got a scholarship at UM, and mama's working full time to pay the rest.

UM is an outstanding school. That's fantastic that he got a scholarship because out of state tuition is a ball buster. Lots do it, though. Those are the kids driving around in BMW's and Porsches. Saw a bunch of em down at Mannlicher's condo's valet station a couple weeks ago.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,284
Posts18,525,668
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.