Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Local, keep an eye out for that sonuvabitch!

Sam, getting butt kicked down here. But, nowhere near what it could have been. Cleaned out my giant mahogany in the front yard pretty good. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by jmh3
The Weather Channel is worse than CNN. They actually seem excited that it could stay slightly offshore and keep its intensity for longer. Wouldn't want to lose a few hours of prime time ratings by having it peter out earlier. How about some useful information. Who has power, who doesn't. When can each city expect peak storm surge. How does that match up to high tide. If any of you guys down there are still online, give us something actually worth watching and walk down to the beach and knock one of these idiots out.

i have been following this on the weather channel, with the people in their little blue raincoats.
I have never been around a storm like this.
but i watch them, it looks like a lot of staged shots.
i saw a guy this morning, little blue rain coat, announcing in a parking lot, full of cars, couple of hotels right there. light rain falling, little wind. what? I am not sure where the truth lies. you don't evac half the state, something bad happens, and then you deal with the finger pointing.
then the storm hits, the 185mph winds are now 50mph winds, and you have to justify.
At one point it looks like the whole state lost power, then you see it didn't. still a lot of people without power.
Having said that, i have also seen the aftermath of some of those islands the storm hit. which is pretty bad. but that in turn is not central florida.

Ron, there are over 1 million people without power in south FL. I just happen to be one of the lucky ones.. so far.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lets make people panic and drive up TV advertising revenue at the same time. Weather Channel what a POS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Port Charlotte is up on streaming right now, and it looks like Terry's lights are still on.

Josh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NEWS: The surge number forecast has gone way down, Naples was to get 10-15 feet,,,,now down to 5 feet. North the numbers will be lower than originally forecast, they just talked to the guy in the Hemingway museum...he said they had about 1 foot of water down in streets.

Great news for Florida residents, hang in there guys !

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

During the wide spread power outage due to a ice storm several years ago some folks somehow manged to still have electricity early on but wound up getting theirs shut off by the power companies when they started to work on restoring it for everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We made it thru. Power stayed on until the last few minutes of the north eye wall passing.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think Florida dodged a major bullet. My Brother lost power from Matthew last year for about 3 days, had his house wired for a generator and so far has not had to use it .

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For the most part, this is going to end up just being a big PIA.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Got your swim fins and snorkel ready, Scott? Looks like Tuesday and Wednesday it'll be in your neck of the woods.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We 'll find out tomorrow if there was any big surge and real damage. Of course, there will be the normal traffic problems and pissed off people cause their lights will be out. Be ready for the flat tires...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yeah, some of that.

But more importantly, it's September's sweep's week - ratings and media advertisers make out quite well.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This storm is a media wet dream (pun intended)...lots of people effected by it. Often a major storm will wipe out sparsely populated areas and go practically unnoticed. The shear number of people trying to move around after this one is going to be a problem.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

During the wide spread power outage due to a ice storm several years ago some folks somehow manged to still have electricity early on but wound up getting theirs shut off by the power companies when they started to work on restoring it for everyone.

You're actually right about that. No big deal, though. I've been lucky so far. Got my generator sitting in the house ready to go outside and be fired up if needed. Moved it inside in case I lost the garage. Everything's dialed in.

You live here long enough, you learn.. and know the drill. 49 years. Yeah. I know the drill.

Best Wishes and thoughts and prayers to my brothers up north of me now.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Irma blows

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I just came across this article about the Hemingway house in Key West. If it's correct then those that stayed in the house made it and the house survived. It says the storm surge wasn't nearly as much as expected. Good news if it's true!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/10/hemingway-houses-cats-hurricane-irma-key-west/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone need firewood?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol...I've got about four chords hanging in my front yard right now. Gotta wait for my truck to get un-flooded to work on it any further.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Apparently the Keys are just devastated. Governor Scott flew in with Rubio and was very visually upset when he described the Keys in his presser.

Said there was not a mobile home left standing and boats everywhere. All utilities destroyed and the islands facing a possible humanitarian crisis. The words war zone seemed appropriate.

Godspeed to those who stayed behind because many are reported missing.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/11/irma-s-trail-destruction-in-florida-keys-revealed.html

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Lol...I've got about four chords hanging in my front yard right now. Gotta wait for my truck to get un-flooded to work on it any further.

I was wondering how you made out down there. Sorry to hear about your truck, that's a shame. Especially when you need it to pull your boat. Is it totaled or can you dry it out?

Last edited by StoneCutter; 09/11/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 51 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.