-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ferris builds a hell for stout mower. Folks picked one up a couple years back and love it. I love it when I go to visit.

Not sure what they cost but would guess it's likely north of 3k?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Cub homeowner ztr has a lot of pump/drive problems. About 1k to fix, your mower will have 2.
Be careful getting all wam and fuzzy about the engine brand. They all have taken to building cheap junk with their name on it.

ZTR's are just a frame, with off the rack components bolted on. On company makes most of the pump/trannis units. There are two basic models.
They use the same housing and the difference is certain beefed up components.
The best mower use seperate pums and hydraulic motors.
You won't get those for undr $3k

Yeah,...I know $3K won't buy the Rolls Royce. But that's where the budget is.

Besides,...I'm at the age where I don't buy green bananas.

I don't need a 20 year lawnmower.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
My buddy who is a power equipment dealer talked me into buying a SCAG that one of his commercial customers traded in for a newer model. If I remember right, it had about 750 hours on it when traded in. I was kinda skeptical about paying (coincidentally) $3000 for it, but he assured me that it would be the last mower I would ever buy. Ever. He cleaned it up and installed new belts, new tires, a new seat, fuel filter and other miscellaneous maintenance items. That was 3 years ago and I am thinking he is right.. I know one thing, the heavy steel all welded deck will never rust through like my stamped TORO deck did.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ferris builds a hell for stout mower. Folks picked one up a couple years back and love it. I love it when I go to visit.

Ferries is part of Briggs and Stratton so if you aren't a fan of their engine you are out of luck with them.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought an Exmark with 700 hours from a former coworker. For $3000. Any issues with it have been self induced. This is my 9th year on it.

A former college classmate is an engineer at Hustler. He has nothing but good things to say about them. He previously was at another small ZTR manufacturer and while working there he told me to never buy one.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Research. They are component machines. Compare components to price, and make your decision.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look at the kubota ZG series. You can find them in your budget. If you wanted to spend just a little more you could get into the diesel.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I'm sure you'll hear plenty of brands and models, but for that price range I'd consider the Cub Cadet with the Honda motor. Seems like it was 2800.00

That was my first choice, actually,....but there's hundreds of stinker reviews on that model.

Thats because it's built by MTD.

If you consider a used unit take one of those small telescoping magnets and swish it around in the hydraulic reservoir and if you seen a bunch of metal on the end of the magnet pass on it.

Last edited by 12344mag; 09/10/17.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Thats because it's built by MTD.

And thats who builds most of these in this price range, including many components....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should say 'many' rather than 'most'.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SEdge

Ferries is part of Briggs and Stratton so if you aren't a fan of their engine you are out of luck with them.

Not true. You can get them with a Kawasaki engine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Pretty happy with my Hustler. Did a lot of research pretty solid machine for the price.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by noduck
Pretty happy with my Hustler. Did a lot of research pretty solid machine for the price.

Which one did you get?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sears (MTD) with the smaller deck and Honda engine. I traded with a friend that needed my '95 Jeep - for the ZTR and a golf cart. He had used it for 2 years on 3 acres and I've mowed 1 acre with it for 4 years. No problems....knock on wood. I think I changed 2 belts.

Last edited by 257heaven; 09/10/17.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The deck is what usually caused problems after you hit a lot of stuff . Try and get a welded deck .

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I buy and sell used mowers to make extra Money.....Hold of for a couple of months and pick up a used commercial unit with no more than 500 to 1000 Hours....You should be able to pick one up for around 3000 bucks or less....Most commercial mowers are designed for 2000 Hours or more....I picked up my son a used John Deere for 2900 last year with 1000 Hours and it runs like New the mower cost 10.000 New 2012 model....Try to find one with a Kawasaki engine..

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by SEdge

Not true. You can get them with a Kawasaki engine.

My bad they must have worked out a deal with Kawasaki. They are still a part of Briggs and Stratton.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I buy and sell used mowers to make extra Money.....Hold of for a couple of months and pick up a used commercial unit with no more than 500 to 1000 Hours....You should be able to pick one up for around 3000 bucks or less....Most commercial mowers are designed for 2000 Hours or more....I picked up my son a used John Deere for 2900 last year with 1000 Hours and it runs like New the mower cost 10.000 New 2012 model....Try to find one with a Kawasaki engine..

This^^^

Buy a used commercial unit from ex-mark, scag, hustler, gravely, dixie chopper etc. I learned the hard way that sub-$3000 zero turns are cheaply made junk. I bought a Husqvarna from Lowe's a few years ago and made it two laps around my yard before I hit a stick and the whole deck seemed like it was exploding. I took it back to lowes and they kept it two months before I was able to get it back, supposedly fixed. This time I made it a half lap around my yard before all the belts came off and the deck started dragging the ground. I took it back again and told them I wanted my money back, the assistant manager told me I'd had it too long and couldn't return it. I said you're taking it back one way or another. I backed it off my trailer, drove it through the double doors and parked it in front of the return desk then took a bunch of pictures of it sitting there with my phone before leaving. I told him as I left it was his problem now and I didn't care what he did with it. The next morning at 7 am I got a call from some Lowes corporate woman saying they were refunding my money to my credit card. It had 1.4 hours on the meter when I took it back and that's because I left the key on for about 1.0 hrs while I was trying to put it back together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've thought about more deck size,.....but there's some advantage to going a bit smaller when you have obstacles in your part,...and this piece of land has a few obstacles.

I bought a new Husqvarna commercial zero turn a few years ago, and bought the one with the 52 inch deck instead of the 60 inch deck. I have a lot of obstacles to mow around, and the 52 inch deck works the best. We have a JD sub-compact tractor with a 63 inch deck, and it is a pain in the butt to mow with in tight places. There's really not that much difference in a 52 or 54 inch deck, when compared to a 60 inch one, when you're talking about mowing time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After looking at a lot of them, I bought a Troybilt for $2800 before taxes at the farm store. A 54" with a Briggs and Stratton motor. I am pretty sure that it is an MTD but it had a longer frame for my long legs. It also had heavier wheels and spindles on the front along with a roller in the middle of the deck and wheels on each side. All of the other mowers that I looked at did not have all of these things. I looked at some commercial mowers but until I got to around $9000 they did not have the leg room. I am tall with a bad back and this was important to me. It might not be to you. I Bought this in the early spring and even though I expanded my mowing area, it cut my time in half and is easier on the body than a conventional riding mower. No problems so far mowing a couple of acres in a year that was wet enough that I have mowed more than usual. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.