Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Looking to fly out to Texas next year for a combination whitetail/axis hunt. Id like to spend a week or so and was hoping to get advice/recommendations on a good outfitter. Archery and rifle. Does not have to be a resort we are working class types. Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

Scott

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Scott, you'll be completely mesmerized by the amount of outfits that offer this kind of hunt here in Texas. I would google the hunt and pick a few that sound interesting then bounce them off the members. powdr

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by powdr
Scott, you'll be completely mesmerized by the amount of outfits that offer this kind of hunt here in Texas. I would google the hunt and pick a few that sound interesting then bounce them off the members. powdr

Very true. Once googling this a few weeks back I couldn't believe the amount of outfits.

Scott

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've heard good things about Mike McKinney that posts on here as Mulie Mike. He's got free range axis and whitetail in southwest Texas. If your looking for something closer to airports I've hunted twice with Jetton Ranch/Chalk Creek Exotics outside of Junction and would do so again in a heartbeat

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are tons. I have been on quite a few. Does high/fence low fence matter to you? How big of a whitetail are you expecting? As you've already seen, the whitetail will vary greatly in price. You got a couple good recommendations above. Here are some more: Cen-Tex Wildlife Connection, Ryan Longer, and Pope Brothers Guide Service. I think any of the above would work for you and all have great reputations.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Big bucks can get you amazing animals.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scotts308
Originally Posted by powdr

Very true. Once googling this a few weeks back I couldn't believe the amount of outfits.

Scott

PM mulie mike here on this forum. I bet he can fix you up if he has room.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I appreciate all the replies. High fence, low fence are both ok so long as the high fence is a large piece of property. Not at all interested in a canned/cage hunt.

Id also really like something that I dont have to pay a fee by the inch. Id rather not have to worry about field judging what I think is a $3000 trophy and instead it is a $7500 trophy once its scored back at the ranch. Thanks again all for your advice.

This is something 4 friends and I will be doing in 2018.

Scott

Last edited by scotts308; 09/11/17.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Look at SOE hunts on the Canyon Ranch...top notch....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 09/11/17.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The YO Ranch near Kerrville and Mountain Home was one of the first exotic hunting ranches. Accommodations are in old log school houses and they have just about every species available. The whitetail are native hill country ones and are not huge but neither is the trophy fee either comparatively. The high fences are mostly around the perimeter of some 20,000 acres so you don't even see the during the hunt typically. Ask the ranch hands about Ted Nugent running around barefoot and getting yanked off his horse when his hair got caught in a tree.

Be sure to ask lots of questions as far as what type of hunting you want to do. Some operations have all the bucks ear tagged and color coded as far as price. Many of the bigger places will want you to hunt "Safari style" which is a glorified term for road hunting. Some of the rigs are amazing like double decked buses complete with wet bar and pole dancers if you want them.

Last edited by Tejano; 09/12/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 3,487 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,744
Posts18,535,426
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.