Print Thread
Hop To
HYBLA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone have a ridgeline ?

300 RUM ?

Teach your kid to hunt so your not hunting for your kids.
HR IC

HYBLA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Look for info please.

HYBLA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Still looking for any info on a Ridgeline 300 RUM

Thanks

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
just bought a Ridgeline in 7mm. very, very happy with the accuracy!!!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't own one, but I am about to order a ridgeline in 6.5 Creed. There is a local gun shop that just became a Christensen Arms authorized dealer. The owner told me that he had used Christensen Arms rifles for many years. After selling his personal rifles to customers a few times, he got tired of setting up new rifles for himself so he became a dealer. According to him, he has been selling them for about 6 months. In that time, he has sold about 50 rifles. There were 4 in the store, and 2 of the 4 were already spoken for. He said he was expecting 6 more rifles to be delivered this evening, and those are spoken for as well. He has about 30 more rifles on order, mostly Ridgelines, so I'm gonna put a deposit on one of those. I asked which calibers were the top sellers, and I was expecting him to say .300 Winchester or .30-06. He said that the 6.5 Creed has been number one, followed by the 26, 28 and 30 Nosler in that order. That kind of surprised me, but then I took a look at his ammo section and it was full of 6.5 Creed, 26, 28 and 30 Nosler. So I guess the Nosler calibers are taking off more than I thought they were. Apparently the 280 Ackley Improved and 300 RUM are also good sellers.

Every time someone buys a Christensen rifle from him, he lets them zero it on the range behind the store. If the customer doesn't mind, he keeps the target and hangs it up in the store. There are numerous targets there, and not a single one was over an inch. Most of them were .5 moa, and there were two that were genuine one hole 3 shot groups. One from a 6.5 Creed and one from a .300 WSM. I don't know the exact group size, but it was tiny.

The Ridgelines are light as a feather, the action is slicker than deer guts on a door knob, and he said the triggers usually come in around 3 pounds on all of the Christensen rifles. The fit and finish was excellent, but then again it damn well should be for $1900. As for the muzzle brake, he said that most people think the .300 magnums feel about like a .243 or a 7mm-08. He said The 6.5 Creed feels about like a .223 out of an AR.

The last time I was in the store several months ago, he had lots of Remington Senderos on the shelf, along with quite a few Winchester model 70's. Guess what, the same rifles are still sitting there on the shelf. He told me that he just cancelled his order from Remington for this fall due to the fact that he just can't move the rifles.

I wish I had more first hand experience to pass along, but I trust the guy who owns the shop. He's been in business for a long time and he has gained a reputation for being a no BS, tell it like it is kind of guy. He has an extensive personal gun collection, and he has hunted far and wide. According to him, the rifles he reaches for when he goes afield nowadays are all Christensen.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by JasonH; 09/12/17.
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JasonH, where is this store?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It's called Windy Hill Trading Post located in Elkin NC. It's really out in the middle of nowhere, but it is a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned. Besides the rifles, there are more Colt 1911's and revolvers in his store than there are in Hartford Ct! He carries lots of other brands, and his prices are fair. As for optics, he used to be a died in the wool Leupold guy, but these days the store is full of Vortex. The range facilities are very nice, with covered shooting benches and spotting scopes provided for people to use. He also has a decent little skeet range. I don't know if he has a website, but they keep their Facebook page updated. If you are ever down this way I would recommend checking them out.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got a ridgeline in 300 RUM. I've not run any factory ammo through it, but with handloads it regularly shoots 200gr accubonds or 168gr tsx easily under an inch at 100, and usually right at an inch at 200. Felt recoil with the titanium muzzle break (I think they're stainless now) is on par with my 30-06. I haven't shot it yet without the break, nor have I made it to the range where I can test it out at longer distances. I'm beyond pleased with mine though.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm lukewarm on a 26Nosler. My sole experience with Ridgelines. No handloads only factory fodder to get some brass. Plain vanilla 140 accubond has been most accurate in this gun at about 1.5".

IC B3

K
K
I have a Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmor that I purchased about 4 weeks ago. First trip out was just for barrel break in. Second trip out I tried a rest and the best group I shot was 5/8 inch with Hornady 140 grain match. I think one of my problems (if 5/8 inch is a problem) was my rear bag was not tall enough for the new rest, and the rifle was not stable. I took it out yesterday and tried again. I have no experience with precision shooting, but was able to shoot this group. I have a BA Tactical in .300 Win. Mag. ordered.

Hope this photo posts . . .

Maybe this time . . .

https://flic.kr/p/XBnP1p

Last edited by KYRich; 09/18/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
that looks pretty good!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KYRich
I have a Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmor that I purchased about 4 weeks ago. First trip out was just for barrel break in. Second trip out I tried a rest and the best group I shot was 5/8 inch with Hornady 140 grain match. I think one of my problems (if 5/8 inch is a problem) was my rear bag was not tall enough for the new rest, and the rifle was not stable. I took it out yesterday and tried again. I have no experience with precision shooting, but was able to shoot this group. I have a BA Tactical in .300 Win. Mag. ordered.

Maybe this time . . .

That is a nice group, for sure!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KYRich

Maybe this time . . .

Ah, Yeah. I was there when Rich shot that group. That rifle is the real deal.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
K
Thanks! I am sold on Christensen. I am a novice shooter, and if I can do that with factory ammo I am sold.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've been lukewarm on my 26 nosler and may be a little warmer after tonight. Tore it down to check things out as I've been battling action screws that loosen up. The factory "bedding" was garbage with bedding compound stuck to the bottom of the action. There was only goop in the lug so no idea how it got on the action. Cleaned up and re-bedded. Mag box was also binding pretty hard on the latch. Those two issues taken care of we shall see if it's any better. I would imagine it would have to be. was also surprised at the lack of any pillars. This is a 2014 Cabelas gun so things now may be different.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,631
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.