Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This is still what I now recommend; after having gained more experience.

Originally Posted by allenday
BC, that's a tough call.

I own Echols 'Legend' rifles in 270 Win., 300 Win., 338 Win., 375 H&H & 416 Rem. The only one of these that I haven't hunted with a great deal is the 270, but it's essentially a new rifle that I haven't had the chance to hunt with yet, but I will starting next year.

The 375 H&H, 300 Win., and the 338 Win. Mag. have seen extensive use, including much African hunting, and I'll tell you straight out, there isn't a dime's worth of difference in the way any of these cartridges kill African plainsgame ranging in size between impala and eland. When loaded with good premium bullets, they're all plenty for any sort of African plainsgame hunting that you'll ever get into, and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is full of prune juice.

If I were pushed to the wall, I'd take the 300 Win. Mag. over the 338 Win. Mag. or the 375H&H for African plainsgame use, especially if you plan to do much hunting in Namibia, RSA, or Tanzania. In any of those countries, the possibility of a long shot is a definite reality, and in that department, the 300 has a bit of an edge over the 338 and offers no drawbacks whatsoever.

And of course, there isn't anything in N. America that you can't hunt with the 300 Win. Mag., so you're really covered no matter where you hunt with it...........

I also much prefer the 300 Win. Mag. to the 300 Weatherby. The 300 Wby. burns more powder, kicks harder, and makes more noise, but in practical terms it offers nothing extra in the way of trajectory or killing power, plus to me it just isn't as shootable; ammo and brass aren't as available; plus there's the free-bore issue to sort out. I also think that the 300 Win. Mag. is more inherently accurate and is easier to work with on all counts.

I don't think that a dangerous game rifle is any place to cut corners. That's not the rifle to go cheap on, because these critters play for keeps (meaning, they can kill you), and at the end of the day, a no-compromise rifle that's built to function, feed, and shoot with 100% reliability is the cheapest and most meaningful life insurance policy you could ever invest in. And I can't think of any other custom riflemakers who can get a rifle to feed and function as well as these two guys can.

I've grown to truly love the 416 Rem. Mag. It offers a significantly bigger hammer for buffalo, etc., than the 375 H&H, and you can get it built in the rifle that weighs no more than a 375 and that will hold four-down in the magazine.

So.............

I recommend that you invest in a pair of rifles in 300 Win. Mag. and 416 Rem. Mag., and get set to do some hunting.

For a third rifle, get a Model 70 in 270 Win.and have Mark Penrod tune, bed, and otherwise work it over in a cost-effective manner............

AD

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I will add that for matched pairs:

1. 300 Win. Mag & 416 (Ruger or Rem Mag): Only super Big Game
2. .270 WCF, 300 Win. Mag & 416: If including more deer, caribou, antelope, sheep etc.
3. .270 WCF, 300 Win. Mag & 9.3 (x62 or x64), 416: If adding in more Africa/Europe and want a legal light-heavy.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both makers are usually at the SCI show but if it matters, I don't think D'Arcy is planning on attending the show this year.
But no matter which one you choose, you will end up with two of the best rifles in the world.

If it were me I might even decide to set the specs I wanted for each rifle and then order one from each builder.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Would you know if D'Arcy or Gene still attend SCI this upcoming year?

M
M
Resurrecting this in honor of the late Allen Day. The old opening post got my attention and Allen in it was a great source of info. He hunted as much as anyone I knew and probably with more field knowledge, expertise and marksmanship. His .300 Win Mag and Cape Buff stories alone were worth several retellings.

Allen helped me choose D'Arcy Echols from a short list when I decided to streamline my collection. He answered emails, took phone calls and sent snapshots of his Echols guns. I originally thought of a pair and considered two combos suggested by others above. .270 and .338 or .300 and .416. D'Arcy was only making complete rifles on magnum actions at the time so no .270 then. In 2003 D'Arcy delivered a Legend in .300 Win Mag to me and I haven't looked back since.

Since I'm also a bird hunter I made a similar decision with shotguns and had a matched pair of 12 bore SxSs made by Tony White in Staffordshire UK. So I have only a .300 Win Mag and a pair of 12s. And I can hunt anything in the world I want with them.

Life and business changes haven't let me travel to hunt much in the last few years, but we recently acquired some prime deer and upland habitat so my Legend and Whites will get to see use again soon.

RIP Allen.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
always good reading....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I really enjoyed rereading these posts again.having acquired a 338 in 2014 from a friend and having hunted with and shot it maybe 80 rounds.i would like to ask some of the gentleman who still frequent this forum.i would like to know why you would choose mr echols or simmilion over mark penrod who built this on a pre 64 model 70.the metalwork and function feeding and performance on this is unbelievable.shoots 1/2 moa or better withalmost everything I have fed it.im pretty sure mark is somewhere in the price structure of mr simmilion.could be wrong but mr echols is considerably more..hope to hear some qualified responses.thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For two rounds that are way beyond proven throughout the world and just for the "cool" factor I would do a 300 H&H and a 375 H&H.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.