Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Gonna go for a month or two next year. End of season safari. Got a PH and I will load up the land cruiser and head for the bush. There are always leftover tags that can be had at stupid cheap prices. Basic camp real remote. Tigerfish hitting great in October. Now, know this, temps will be in the 120s! Some can't handle hot Scotch with no ice and black mambas. Cool way to see the expensive areas you only read about.. Gonna bring my 6.5x55swede and a 12 ga. For myself. Gonna bring him as a gift a 375 and some kind of plains game rig. All legal, done it many time before. The real bitch is the 11pounds of ammo. A box of #6 is heavy. Guess I can get by with 2 boxes of swede. Rest will be 375.

GB1

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zengela
Gonna go for a month or two next year. End of season safari. Got a PH and I will load up the land cruiser and head for the bush. There are always leftover tags that can be had at stupid cheap prices. Basic camp real remote. Tigerfish hitting great in October. Now, know this, temps will be in the 120s! Some can't handle hot Scotch with no ice and black mambas. .

Where? You are right about hot in October. Went to Zambia once in early October. 105+ degrees midday sux! Nights were tolerable to sleep. Hotter than that and you're paying to be miserable. wink

6.5 Swede is one of my favorites. What bullet you using?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Thanks. Was looking at them last night. They are on sale but colors available aren't right. Hopefully they aren't getting rid of them and better colors will be available later.

I have a couple pair of cargo pants style from Levi's. Very comfortable. One pair is khaki color, the other is a sage green.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Got back 3 weeks ago from a quick trip to the RSA. Looking at Namibia in 2020 for a non-trophy elephant bull.

Hatari, who you hunting with in Zambia next year?

He went over yonder way
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Johnny DuPlooy and Machinga Safaris. Known him
For 25 years. This will be my third Safari with him.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm hoping to do a buff in Zambia eventually and they are on my short list.

He went over yonder way
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by hatari
Johnny DuPlooy and Machinga Safaris. Known him
For 25 years. This will be my third Safari with him.

Hi Hatari.

I hunted with Muchinga, 6 years straight. I've hunted both Chanjuzi and Nyaminga for pretty much all the species there. I also have hunted their Tondwa concession twice. It is in far NE Zambia right up near Tanzania and Congo. If you haven't been to Tondwa, It was like a Garden of Eden. Roan, Livingstone Eland, Blue Duiker, Puku, Sable, and of course, its headliner, the Sitatunga. I killed the largest Sable, Muchinga ever killed there. It was 44.5 inches and black as coal. I did a full mount of that bull. Absolutely an amazing wild piece of Africa.

I want to go to hunt their new concession that borders Nyaminga called Chifunda. When I was hunting the Luangwa, the PH running Chifunda was an American guy named PJ Fouche.

Did you get to go to the Kafue Flats and Bangweulu for the Lechwes?

I personally believe Zambia to be the finest hunting country in all of Africa.

What are you going to hunt and which concession?

Fantastic outfitter, soup to nuts.

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 09/11/17.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Chifunda, so looking forward to it.

Did Kafue 25 years ago when Johnny and I both practically had peach fuzz. I think I was his first American client.showed up in customs with some nasty stomach bug I got in RSA and spent a. couple of days in bed at his parents house. This was before he married Laura. We never got to Bangweulu. Fished lake Karba.

I like Zambia because after they got rid of Kaunda the country took off. They embraced capitalism, and they make an effort (by African standards) to clean up some of the corruption.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't put it off too long. At age 58, I put aside enough in an account to pay for a plains game safari, (and maybe a buffalo), transportation, and incidentals. Then I screwed around being busy. At 72, my heart went south. A hundred yards is a "hike."

If you have the finances, health, and desire, just do it. I wish I had gone when I could have.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/20/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jt402
Don't put it off too long. At age 58, I put aside enough in an account to pay for a plains game safari, (and maybe a buffalo), transportation, and incidentals. Then I screwed around being busy. At 72, my heart went south. A hundred yards is a "hike."

If you have the finances, health, and desire, just do it. I wish I had gone when I could have.

Jack

I agree.
When you're young you don't have any money.
When you are middle aged, you may have some money and no time.
When you are old and have money you may not have your health.

If you get to the point where you have some extra money and some extra time, go to Africa. It's an amazing experience.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed again on all that JG, I've even read, "You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time or health, Go Now!"

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am making plans just now. Will arrive JNB 01 Nov. Going to Kalahari on RSA-Botswana border. Red rolling sand dunes with grass and red rimrock sort of like flat Sedona. Then to Aranos in Namibia and then to Beitbridge area. Going to try a 25-06 on plains game. This is something like #23, lost track. Would need to count using old passports.
Don't much care what I hunt, just like being there banging around in a hunting car. Would like a really monster warthog more than anything.
May go up into Zambia can't say just yet.
I would like to find a 12-14 yo bull buffalo, an ancient old-timer. Unlikely on this trip however. Would use a 416 for that.

Last edited by RinB; 09/21/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jt402

Jack

Another "agree" here.

I did it when I was younger, and could barely squeeze the finances out....and now that Im in my mid-60s words cannot express how glad I am that I did it!

I'd forego it today just because of the hassles of airline travel... but for those of you motivated enough, I promise not would be worth putting up with the hassles, theres nothing like Africa!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I've done the vanilla safaris. Namibia, Zimbabwe, RSA, Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania etc..... My mom is not doing well, and the family sitdown about the will went well. I'm gonna use portion of funds for a true jungle hunt. Bongo and forest elephant. Gonna make a 20 inch 458 or 416 for point blank encounters. I'm 44, and health is starting to suffer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MAGA!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot a Buff in Zim last year in July. A Leopard this spring in Namibia. I leave in a week for Kyrgyzstan for a Mid Asian Ibex. My next hunt after that will be an Ele.

Last edited by Slider1; 09/24/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's cool to read the stories, and plans, and regrets here. I concur, you should go as soon as you can if you have the desire to do so.

I went in '15, pretty much as soon as I wanted to. I was 60, in decent shape, and for the first time in my life able to afford it. I didn't really want to go until then, in large part because I simply don't daydream about doing things that I can't make happen... so since I knew I couldn't afford the time or the money, I just didn't entertain the possibility. As soon as it became a possibility though, I went. And I don't regret a minute or a dollar spent at it.

I'm looking at a couple of options for '18 or '19. Three, actually. Easiest option is a plains game hunt in RSA with one of our 24HCF members who is an outfitter there. I could round out my spiral horn collection, get a bigger kudu, etc. Second option is a buffalo/eland hunt in Zambia with Sharp. Third option is a private hunt with a good friend who has superb connections there, and it would be a foursome, he and I and our wives. Dunno which is going to come together, but it will be one of them.

I really don't want to hunt anything but buffalo, to be honest. I'd really like to get a truly massive old dugga boy, well above 40". Those are hard hunts, I know, but that's really the only thing that excites me while I'm here. I know I'll be excited about other things when I get there. I didn't get my eland last time, and I didn't book for sable... a good mature bull of either species would be nice, but only if bagging one could be done without compromising the buffalo.

We shall see.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll likely go back. Another year or two? Need a Bushbuck, Nyala, some form of Wildebeest, and of course a Springbok. Possibly others. A bigger Kudu would be nice, something in the 55"+ range. Would definitely go back with same safari as before. Critical to going would be getting a group together. Hanging around the fire at night, riding in the truck together at times are all a part of the trip.

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I leave for Mozambique in 9 days to hunt Buffalo and croc or anything else that I think I need. To say I am excited is a understatement the group that just got back said easily over 1000 buffalo where spotted during 7 days.
Have a group going in June 2018. I believe I have one more spot for the group to hunt 2+1 with us. It will be my 4th RSA trip taking the wife for her first safari. Doing all this hunting with JP Kleinhans.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Called Gracey Travel. Told them to book me ATL to Mfume, Zambia. July 2018!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,477,994
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.