Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The past couple of trees I dropped on my property were taken down with a 3 1/2 pound, 36" Collins axe. I have a few more to drop when it gets cooler and I'll use the axe again.

I have a Stihl 250, but I also have time and I enjoy the quiet of swinging an axe and the workout.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have three saws.

A Stihl 250 that I use for fencing, a Stihl 460 with a 28 inch bar and skip chain and a McCulloch 850 with the original 24 inch bar with a skip chain.

........and not a tree in sight. If'n I was ever attacked by trees I would be ready.

Love a skip-tooth chain. surprised more guys don't use them.

Dave
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Love it!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A good saw is worth the bux for sure. When first married I was given a cheap one. Luckily, I didn't need one much for a year or two. Once the need arose to have a real saw I went and bought a 028 Super Wood Boss, that one hurt the wallet at the time. We have heated with wood as primary source for 30 years now. I retired the 028 last year when too many times using ethanol finally caught up[100% my fault]. I bought the Echo CS 590 which I believe is made by Shindawa[looks and sounds like one and is Japanese made]. It's a great saw too IMO.
So I have an old 028[Pro] with a new carb that seems ready for 30+ more years
021[newer] I picked up used for little or nothing back when son became old enough to help
Echo 590Cs just getting broken in.
It's truly a good feeling knowing all 3 are ready to go, especially when your driveway is 3/8's mile through the woods and then another 1/2 mile of private gravel road through the woods again.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I still use a Jonsered 535 that I bought in 1986. We used to heat (primarily) with wood, and averaged 7 cords a year - most of which was dead and downed cedar.
That little saw is indestructible !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
All my things are Stihl, had good luck with them!!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have an Echo with a 24' bar that I have had real good luck with. The dealer I bought it from also carries Stihl products but the guys that work at the dealership all said their customers had fewer problems with the Echo equipment. All the newer 2 cycle engines are set to run lean and hot for "better" emissions and some even have catalytic converters on them. The carb adjustment screws are usually locked with plastic so you can't adjust it plus you need a special spline tool to adjust the screws. The dealer probably won't sell the tool but you can order them online once you figure out which tool you need. Running 2 cycle engines lean is a very bad idea since the lube is in the gas. I recently had some trouble with my Husqvarna leaf blower and when I looked at customer reviews to see what problems other users were having one of big problems was seized pistons. My problem was hard starting and once started I had to keep the choke on about 1/2 way to keep it running and it wouldn't run long even with the choke on so I took it to the local Husqvarna rep. he said he couldn't fix it and wanted to sell me a new one. I fixed by buying a new carb ($20), new fuel line kit ($9), 21 spline adjusting tool ($9) and removing the catalytic convertor. It stared right up and after I adjusted it runs better than it ever did. I'm going to adjust the carbs on my chain saws next and remove the catalytic convertosr if they have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Raeford;

I can relate to long driveways.

I've got almost 1/2 mile of gravel driveway that gains 300 feet elevation.

I had to saw my way out after last year's ice storm. Had 1/2 doz. trees down, up to 30" diameter.

I always keep TWO saws on hand, I've been known to get one stuck and have to saw it out with the other.

I'm getting smarter in my old age. I use wedges to keep from pinching saws now days.

Currently have two Sthil's An 021 and a 250 both with 18" bars.

Had a McCulloch 850 with 36" bar back in the 70's Sure like my little Stihl's better now days.

I'm too darn old/lazy to handle a heavy saw anymore! (GRIN!)

Virgil B.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a Stihl but it never seemed to get enough oil to the bar in spite of a couple trips to the dealer who claimed it was in spec. I have two Dolmar's now (42 cc and 61 cc) and they run great. I think you get more for your money with Dolmar. Some of the Dolmars are sold under the Makita name but they are the same saws.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been thinking of one of the Stihl battery powered saws. Have a couple of gas ones now but many times just need a little touch up around a stand or along a trail. Seems like the battery version would be great for that

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My brother has a Echo electric, it would be good for what you mention, not really much else though.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image]

This.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I see several references to a "skip tooth chain". What is this?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of Husqvarna's, a Rancher with 20 inch bar, and one with a 16 inch bar. I also have a Jonsered with a 16 inch bar, that I use most of the time. If they ever quit, and I'm sure they will, I plan on replacing them with a Stihl.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Henryseale

[Linked Image]

It's helpful for clearing the chips out of the cut with a long bar, and also lightens the load on the engine when pulling a long bar with a smaller engine.

Then there is opposite tact, big ported engine with high comp head, 8t driver and a short bar.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Henryseale

Generally used for looong bars where the saw--any saw regardless of size--can't keep rpm's up with a regular spaced teeth.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I once had a great saw. It was a Husqvarna. Some jerk stole it and my wife gave me a replacement for Christmas. It's a Poulan. I've been fighting that saw off and on for 20 years. After Irma I was thinking if the Poulan gave me the least bit of trouble I was going to treat myself to a new Husqvarna. Dang if that old Poulan didn't crank on the second pull and settled right down into a smooth idle. It cut through some downed oak like it was a brand new saw. Still got it...

As our chainsaw dealer likes to say--a guy just keeps poullin' and poullin' and poullin' on it.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
That McCulloch 850 brings back memories. We had an 800. Awesome saw for the times,
unfortunately they never got them quite right, and the company slow!y died. There are 3 10-10' s
out in the shed, all run and one is taken along as a pinch saw. Pretty upset when the Husky 372 is
shut down, and I have to start one of those noisy, viberating bastards.

The company began to die the day Robert McCulloch died. The family was more interested in selling the "planned community"real estate in Arizona McCulloch bought and began to develop in the 70's.

The 850 is the cheap version of the Super Pro 81 introduced in the mid 70's.

Although I own 50-70cc Huskys and Stihl's, my go-to saw is a 1976 McCulloch Super Pro 60--the torque of a 80cc saw in a smaller package. The saw has been in the family since new, and will probably still be running when the new plastic saws have been turned into recycled lawn furniture..............

I also have a 1975 Pro 10-10. The 10-10 series was first developed in the late 60's, and variations continued in production until 2000. The 10-10's were still popular in South America where they were abused to no end and would run on about any crappy gas they could find.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I build log cabins. I have chisels, and draw knives, and an adze etc etc.
But my main tool is the chain saw. I have two Stihls and a Husqvarna. All three, great saws.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 16,937 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,874
Posts18,538,024
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
4 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.