Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Gary Sitton is the only writer who caused me to buy a particular magazine just because they wrote in it. I would read whatever he wrote first regardless if it was the first page or the last page in the magazine.

I have enjoyed other writers such as Elmer Keith, Bob Hagel, Finn Aagaard, John B, Wayne Van and Tom Turpin to name a few, but none had quite the hold on me that Sitton did. It just seemed like I identified with him the most.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Blowing the dust off this thread . . .

My personal favorites go back a ways: Townsend Whelen, Julian Hatcher, Phil Sharpe, C.S. Landis, E. H. Harrison, Jack Lott, Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bob Milek, Skeeter Skelton, Finn Aagard, Ross Seyfried, Ken Waters, John Wooters, M D Waite, Pete Dickey, Garry James, Al Miller, John Barsness, John Taffin, and Paul Scarlatta.

I put together a collection of "old" firearms-related hardcover books starting in the mid 1960s through the mid-'90s. All of the titles ever published by Thomas Samworth and his Small Arms Technical Publishing Co., which included authors such as Whelen, Hatcher, Keith, Landis, Harrison, and others. Standard Publishing Co of Huntington, WV was a contemporary competitor of Samworth's SATPCO, and listed a number of popular sporting authors from the 1930s through the 1960s, including Phil Sharpe. I practically have Whelen's "Wilderness Hunting and Wildcraft" and just about anything else written by him memorized.

Reading Shooting Times and G&A from the middle 60s to the early 90s when I quit buying magazines except for Handloader and Rifle, I enjoyed reading Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bob Milek, Skeeter Skelton, Finn Aagard, Ross Seyfried, Ken Waters, John Wooters, Garry James, and Al Miller. Mike Venturino and Paul Matthews got me interested in straightwall case cartridges and the levers and single-shots from which they are fired. I find it ironic that Venturino has "discovered" vintage military firearms and machine guns because back in the day he eschewed them vigorously. I loved M D Waite and Pete Dickey technical pieces in the American Rifleman. John Barsness (MuleDeer), Paul Scarlatta, and John Taffin are later favorites, and I'm leaning toward adding Dave Scovill and Terry Wieland to my personal "hit parade" of authors.

I got a lot out of reading P O Ackley from a technical standpoint, but since I'm not and never have been a wildcatter both Ackley and Rick Jamison were not more than a passing interest to me.

One author who holds about zero interest for me is Peter Kokalis. I purchase the Shotgun News annual "Treasury" issue mainly for the historical pieces therein, and read Kokalis' stuff just to red-pen it; his articles are fraught with decades-old errors made by previous authors and just parroted again and again.

Noah

Last edited by Noah_Zark; 10/09/17.

Resistance is NOT futile. Resistance is Voltage divided by Current.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
1980, picked up "The Varmint Hunter's Digest" at a local gunshop for around $5. Hooked me on varmint hunting/calling. Jim Dougherty.

Calling Coyotes (and other predators) by Jamison worsened the varmint hobby.

Should have just moved West then, would have saved alot of gas money.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frank de Haas, single shots and bolt actions

Parker Ackley, Handbook for shooters and reloaders

MacFarland, Introduction to gunsmithing

Steve Acker, Home shop machinist

Jerry Kuhnhausen, Colt Double Actions

Vernon Speer, how to write a handloading manual

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by arroyo
Louis Lamour and Zane Grey.

What rags did they write for ?
Guns ? Rifles ? Handguns ?
just wondering.
Assuming that is a legitimate question and you aren't trying to by a typical 24HC passive/aggressive jerk, they wrote western novels, and very well I might add.

I don't know about Louis Lamour.

However, Zane Grey wrote articles for several outdoor recreation magazines, including the "Big 3": Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, and Sports Afield. Much of his material involved fishing, both freshwater and saltwater, but there were hunting stories also.

I have a 1935 issue of Sports Afield with an article by Zane Grey titled "Lever Action Rifles".

A hundred years ago, the outdoor sporting magazines had editorial policies and readership preferences that differed greatly from current magazines. For example, Grey's best-known novel, Riders of the Purple Sage, appeared first as a serial beginning in January 1912 in Field & Stream.

--Bob

Zane Grey probably wrote almost as much on fishing/hunting as he did westerns. I believe William Faulkner also had some pieces published in Field & Stream when he was younger.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I was very young, I read any book written by Jim Kjelgard. For those of you who don't know him, he wrote the book "Big Red" which Disney made into a movie and royally screwed up. His stories fueled my love for the outdoors.

Jack O'Connor, Robert Ruark, Archibald Rutledge, Havilah Babcock, Gene Hill and scores of others. I met Bob Milek and Col. Askins at a SHOT show in Atlanta years ago. The shooting sports are full of great folks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Larry Flint

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
When I was very young, I read any book written by Jim Kjelgard. For those of you who don't know him, he wrote the book "Big Red" which Disney made into a movie and royally screwed up. His stories fueled my love for the outdoors.

Jack O'Connor, Robert Ruark, Archibald Rutledge, Havilah Babcock, Gene Hill and scores of others. I met Bob Milek and Col. Askins at a SHOT show in Atlanta years ago. The shooting sports are full of great folks.

I'm not surprised Disney screwed it up, and it was likely on purpose. Disney was an Anti-hunter, and ytou will see it clearly in his films. He had hangup as well. No Disney employee can wear a mustache (even the men) though Disney himself had one. And the mothers in his films often die while the kid is young. (Just like Disney himself).

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hamilton Bowen is a most excellent writer. Besides that, Matthew Bracken. Then, William Faulkner, specifically the descriptions of hunting the Big Woods of the Mississippi Delta.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack O'Connor, because my Grand Dad had "Book of the Rifle"
Carmichel, for the 280
Gary Sitton- about having a 250 savage custom rifle built
Aagard and Barsness - guns/reloading can/should make sense
Ken Waters for Pet Loads
Bob Hagel (but i don't use his loads!)

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hob Hagle

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Our very own JB has influenced me the most. Mainly because he is a close friend and lives near enough that sometimes he has manually forced whiskey down my throat in order to sway me to his way of thinking.....it worked every time! However I do like his writing the best of all because none of it has ever set off my BS meter....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Writers that have influenced or motivated me? Hemingway, Captsick, Ruark all gave me the yearning for Africa. John "Pondoro" Taylor introduced me to the 9.3 x 62 and have been super satisfied with that discovery. Ken Waters for hand loading. P. O. Ackley for giving me the bug to wildcat and an interest in "oddball" cartridges.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Early on in my formative years it was Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Robert Ruark, Peter Capstick, Jim Corbett, and Rick Jaimison. Did lots of reading in the old Varmint Hunter magazines too, as well as Precision Shooting, but can't really remember the names of those writers.

Mostly I went to the internet after that though, picking up information here and there.

But I will say that JB has been pretty influential to me in the last 3-4 years. Probably the only one in that time period that I could single out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I read the thread title, the first writer that came to mind was Hal Swiggett. Gun Digest used to be one of my favorite pubs to read when I was younger and impressionable. Hal was a fixture with GD for so long. For whatever reason, his style resonated with me. Ed Matunas wrote some great rimfire publications. Top quality stuff. I guess Capstick belongs in the conversation. As a creative hunting writer, he is without peer. I read just about everything he wrote. The entertainment value is off the charts. I have to give props to John Barsness. I read his stuff anytime I saw it in print. I hadn't bought a gun or hunting related book in years until I recently bought The Big Book of Big Game Hunting. It was a fantastic read. I most grateful though for the day in and day out contributions JB makes to the forum. I feel like I have a personal mentor on staff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bigstick ...... He's a legend in his own mind. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would say that the writer who influenced me the most was Jack O'Connor. Not necessarily on his choice of firearms, although his recipe for calibers and scopes work just as well today as they did then, but more because he could write a story and make you feel as though you were there with him.
He lit a fire in me to go to the Yukon and be in the places he had been. It took quite a few years before I could do it but eventually I did and I carry the memories to this day.

For pure entertainment #1 was Russell Annabel, #2 was Capstick. I knew when reading them that there stories were to be taken with a large grain of salt but they are the sort of stories that everyone who has a bit of adventure in their soul should read. If they don't light a fire in you then I feel sorry for you because you are either a cynic or a non-romantic.

I am inherently distrustful of most gun-writers and the muck they shovel issue after issue, most of them would be used car salesmen if they weren't pimping guns and related products so I rarely wasted my time on periodicals.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Skelton - is responsible for my addiction to Ruger Single Actions and S&W Revolvers, his storytelling

Sundra - is responsible my other addiction to Ruger #1 & M77's

Wooters - mannlicher stocked rifles , his writing about the .308 Sako he hunted with

Seyfried - wildcats and big bore handguns

Jamison - his technical handloading articles

Barsness - no nonsense writing style, best of the current writers

Aagard,Shoemaker, Capstick, for the hunting story's and the firearms used

Wieland & Sitton for the entertainment any and all of the articles have provided, just a pleasure to read.

F

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Captdavid: I am certain I was most entertained, motivated and informed by Jack O'Connor.
I enjoyed his magazine articles, his Hunting and gun books along with his novels.
I have a very complete collection of his books and novels.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
I would say that the writer who influenced me the most was Jack O'Connor. Not necessarily on his choice of firearms, although his recipe for calibers and scopes work just as well today as they did then, but more because he could write a story and make you feel as though you were there with him.
He lit a fire in me to go to the Yukon and be in the places he had been. It took quite a few years before I could do it but eventually I did and I carry the memories to this day.

You're right. I did read his works and the stories I liked the best were the ones from the Yukon and Northern BC. I've been to the Yukon twice and loved it. Even tried to move to Whitehorse. Going on a horseback moose hunt in the Cassiar Mountains would be another dream come true.

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.