Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
SMC77 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi guys - Greetings from Ohio -
I have a barrel that is missing the original parts. To be honest I don't know a whole lot about the early 1899 takedowns so I don't know what the part was for.
The rifle barrel has the hook that the forend latches onto but the 410 barrel has nothing. Can you fine gentlemen enlighten me as to how this barrel was used with the 1899 takedown.

Thanks so much from a Campfire newbie -

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the fire. The barrel has a thumb screw that tightened down on the tip of the forearm. Here is a link that Calhoun posted a pic of a cased set where you can see the attachment screw on the barrel. It's the 4th post in the thread.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/7144736/Re_School_me_on_how_the_410_ba

Lee

Last edited by Polecat; 10/19/17.
S
SMC77 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Lee and thanks for the link - that answered my question.
I looked up pictures of cased sets and saw the screw but couldn't figure out how it was used. Thankfully it doesn't look like the 410 barrel was ever used on this gun because there are no marks on the forearm where the screw would have made contact.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A small piece of leather or rubber will protect the end of the forearm. I always wondered if the rubber from a door stop might fit the tip of the screw, but never had a 410 barrel to play with.

Lee

S
SMC77 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm guessing finding a replacement housing and screw will not be easy so I may never get to try that either!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can't find one, I think one could be fabricated using one of the old barrel clamp sling attachments. Of course you could go full blown red neck and duct tape the forearm to the barrel laugh
Have you put the 410 barrel on the receiver to see if it indexes correctly?

Lee

Last edited by Polecat; 10/19/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
or you could fabricate a hook like the rifle barrel has, and sweat it onto the 410 barrel

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
SMC77 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes - duct tape it is! I'll be sure to dress it up with one the new fancy colored duct tapes 😁
It indexes correctly with receiver - might get a bit uncomfortable holding the barrel to get off some shots though!

I would love to see a hook on her JeffG. What was it about that barrel that they didn't include the hook originally?
Seems strange to make the cased set with 2 barrels that attach to the forearm differently.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As Jeff mentioned the hook would have to be sweat soldered on to a 410 barrel - the wall of the 410 barrel would probably be to thin for a dovetail. which is why it used the odd mount. Numrich has the parts for the bracket but do not have the screws, for this mount your barrel needs a small round cut for the cross screw, I assume it must have one, mine has two, possible for slightly different length forearms.

.gunpartscorp/1041940
gunpartscorp/1041930

The large screw is a standard 5/16" thread with a shank just over 1 3/8" with a rounded end where it contacts the front of the forearm and looks like it has almost the same head size a standard Allen head bolt. The original screws have diamond knurling and most hex head cap screw are straight knurled so it would look almost original if you plugged the hex socket.

The small screw is a #5-40 and are available from Brownell's in 1" lengths, full threaded.

I have/had an extra complete bracket but I cannot find it at this time.... evidently my bracket must also have had a set of legs...

Pictures are form an older cell phone, very poor quality.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 10/20/17. Reason: added pictures

Gene
S
SMC77 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for sharing that Gene - I will definitely look into that setup. My barrel has only one cross cut to accommodate screw but one more could
be added. I'm concerned about preserving originality so I'll have to give it some thought.
I think you're right on the 410 barrel being too thin for dovetail. That has to be why it wasn't produced with the hook like the rifle barrel was.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SMC77
My barrel has only one cross cut to accommodate screw but one more could
be added.
It only needs one, if it's in the right place, I do not know why my barrel has two - thinking there might be some differences in forearm length, my barrel was purchased separate from the gun and I do not know if it originally had two from the factory or if one was added, the machining marks look slightly different in the two slots. I see I forgot to state the thread pitch for the 5/16" bolt - it's 5/16"-18.

Gene

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.