Print Thread
Hop To
J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I realize a lot of states have the actual tag as part of the license, but in Oklahoma a lifetime license holder doesn't have anything with the license to attach to the carcass. What do some of you all use to actually attach to your deer for that purpose?

I am thinking a zip tie identification tag of some sort would be easy.

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Zip tie through a slit in the ear.

J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
with paper through it containing all your info?

Originally Posted by victoro

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They used to give us field tags, but not anymore. Md DNR recommends tagging it with a piece of paper that includes your name, license number and the date, but few do it around here. If I'm donating it, I print out the confirmation number and write my name a license number on it and zip tie it on the ankle of a front leg right above the hoof.

I would go on line for the OK DNR and find out what they require.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Electrical tape around the tag at base of antlers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jberry
I realize a lot of states have the actual tag as part of the license, but in Oklahoma a lifetime license holder doesn't have anything with the license to attach to the carcass. What do some of you all use to actually attach to your deer for that purpose?

I am thinking a zip tie identification tag of some sort would be easy.

Make a copy of your license and a zip tie or electrical tape (don’t use blue tape!!!!!).

Double check what Oklahoma requires as to the information contained on the tag but I’d think that a copy of your lifetime license attached to your deer would be enough to satisfy the requirements but I’d definitely see what the state of Oklahoma requires in the case of tagging a deer under a lifetime license.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's tags are made of some kind of really tough paper, like extra thick tyvek. They come with a foot long thin wire to tie them on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Georgia has the option of paperless now using a phone app which reports to the state when you are within cell range. Or you can still fill out your kill record (they call it harvest record) on your printed license. Deer tags haven't been used here for a long time. Only tags I've seen here are deer crop damage tags issued by the DNR for nuisance animals. They look like large green zip ties that you put through a slit cut in the ear.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You oughta see how I do it here in Indiana.
Piece of paper
Name/address
License number
Type of license used
Date
Sex

Don’t even have to attach it to the deer till I get it out of the woods but if I leave it I have to attach it.
I have a lifetime license.

J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
We have to include name, license number, date and time. I just like to have something that is easy to attach and will stay on. Have heard duct tape around the leg, but that is a little to primitive.
I attach to antler and like to leave it in the mount when its done to catalogue the deer forever.

Thinking about "cable ties." those little zip ties that are used to secure and label electronic cables. Just don't have very big writing surfaces.

Like these...
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...O_EYz4O8vcaAoW4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by jberry
with paper through it containing all your info?

Originally Posted by victoro

In Texas the tag is small (about 1 1/4" X 2") with a hole in one end. All you have to fill out (always carry a Sharpie pen) is the county/place where you killed the deer and then cut out the date on the edge of the tag. You have to tag it right after you kill it. The game warden will ask for your hunting and driver's license when he looks at your deer. Some guys forget to cut out the date, it's a BIG fine.

Last edited by victoro; 10/24/17.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
When Virginia required tags to be attached to the animal we carried "Safety Pins" attached to our hats. When tagging the deer we pinned the tag as deep as possible down in the ear. This allowed us to drag/handle the deer without loosing the tag. If required now to have name and license number on deer I would use the same procedure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,522,983
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.