-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I may be back in CO next Fall with some guys, public land, OTC Bull tags. My question is, can a non-res rifle hunter put in for a cow tag and also buy an OTC Bull tag for the same unit? This is a unit that offers OTC Bull tags with an antler restriction.

I know this would cost a bit, that aside, just asking if this is allowed and routinely done?

With the trip costs & such it may be an option. Not sure if I would go for both, didn't see an easy answer on Google. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on which unit. If the cow tag is a class B, then yes. If it's a type A, then no.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O.K., I'll look into that.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just did that this year. I drew a cow tag for first season, there were leftover bull tags so I was able to purchase one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most years there are plenty of cow tags available in the over the counter bull units that we hunt. Most of our group get in the draw and get a cow tag or buy leftover tags if they snooze. Then we buy bull tags the day we arrive in Colorado. I like elk meat so as soon as I see a legal bull or cow I'm filling the freezer.

A couple of times I've had buck,bull and cow tags...... filled them all one year by day 3 the buck hit the ground about 75 yards from the bull as we returned to haul out meat. If you can afford to go that route it is the best way not to watch an animal 85 yards away laughing while you curse.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What I did this year is to pick up a leftover cow tag, and now I'm watching the weather forecasts and the hunt reports from 1st and 2nd seasons. I hunt 3rd season, and if the prospects look good for seeing bulls, I'll pick up a bull tag on the drive to the hunting area.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For many years, I got deer tags when drawn and both bull and cow tags. Now, I buy an otc bull tag and only buy a cow tag if not drawn for deer in our unit. This year, I’m hunting 4th season and picked up leftover Bull and Cow tags since a non-resident needs a gazillion points to draw 4th season deer in our unit. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We routinely put in for a Preference Point as first choice, a cow tag as second and then pick up an OTC bull tag. Non-resident hunters can do the same thing depending on the units involved. This year I have a cow, bull and buck tag in my pocket. The only thing that is somewhat unusual is the buck tag as I don't draw a deer tag every year.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
We routinely put in for a Preference Point as first choice, a cow tag as second and then pick up an OTC bull tag. Non-resident hunters can do the same thing depending on the units involved. .

Just make sure the tag you put in for 2nd choice is a "B" tag, not all are.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A, B, and C licenses are explained on page 33 of this document. Good luck.

2017 Colorado Big Game Brochure

I'm not sure how the non-resident elk hunters do it. $1000 for two elk tags makes me cringe.

Larry grin

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 10/28/17.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
A, B, and C licenses are explained on page 33 of this document. Good luck.

2017 Colorado Big Game Brochure

I'm not sure how the non-resident elk hunters do it. $1000 for two elk tags makes me cringe.

Larry grin

grin

We just think Colorado's regs are complicated.......have you looked at some other states? whistle

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
We routinely put in for a Preference Point as first choice, a cow tag as second and then pick up an OTC bull tag. Non-resident hunters can do the same thing depending on the units involved. .

Just make sure the tag you put in for 2nd choice is a "B" tag, not all are.

Good advice. Where we hunt the cows have always (to my knowledge) been a 'B', but I check every year anyway..

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes it does seems a bit expensive, just getting ideas. After driving from the Midwest it's nice for one or 3 in the group to get some action. I look at it as insurance from a 'potential' game law violation.

Of course I would never break the law, just saying stuff happens at times.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.