Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
1. read gmoats responses, several times.

2.Having a gun is always better than no gun.

3. neither you nor anyone else can predict the timing or nature of a fight.

4.A quick presentation and 1st shot ability is essential. The Bill Drill is my standard [6 shots into 6" at 7 yards in <3 seconds] I have never seen anyone achieve this from a pocket holster.

5. Believing that the bad guys will run away is not a good basis for a survival plan.

6. Carrying a NAA 22 for self defense defines delusional.

7. Practice, Practice, Practice. Dryfire is your friend.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Windfall
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

In the early 80's when I worked for Bianchi, we sold a set of J-frame grips that extended up the back of the frame and acted as a hammer shroud. It basically turned a model 36 into a model 49. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale at gun shows for years, but they were a good attempt at making hammer guns less likely to snag.

JMO-YMMV.

I remember those, they were called "Lightening" grips and versions were available to fit J & K-Frame RB revolvers and Colt D-Frames. I had a pair on a Mod 36 for a while but the grip was larger than it needed to be and the rubber composite material was a bit too "sticky" for pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

There is a set of those for J frame on ebay now. Not really cheap.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An LCP in a pocket holster is much more comforting than nothing at all, but I have found a drawback.

My fat ass got leaner over the last six months and Wranglers have much smaller front pockets than the Dickey's jeans I have worn for years. The LCP and holster is tougher going in than the LCP coming out but it's still tight. But it works very well for many situations like quick trips around town and nighttime bicycle rides out in the country where a confrontation with a meth head is more likely than a home invasion.

But I am ready for options, I am leaning out enough to try the G19 or a G26 and IWB holster but I will continue the LCP pocket carry.

A 9mm LCP if it was possible, would be a hit but a handful.

Since the conversation drifted from strictly pocket carry, at home the LCP is in my pocket or five steps away, in my pocket while working in the garage or outside doing yard work. Inside there is also the G19 and G20 ready to go until I can reach least one rifle or carbine located outside of the safe. A home invasion is unlikely where I live but I do know one family has a meth head son who comes and goes, it's a small 50 home country community with one way in and one way out. To be further prepared, l fenced the property with a 3-rail fence and gate that remains closed and locked at all times. It's a mental barrier for normal people so I am prepared to draw if there is a knock on the door or any person approaches me outside because I know they have jumped the fence.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For the LCP I have found one of these IWB to be more better than pocket carry.

http://blackhawk.com/products/holst...t/nylon/tecgrip-iwb-holster-ambidextrous

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RDW
To be further prepared, l fenced the property with a 3-rail fence and gate that remains closed and locked at all times. It's a mental barrier for normal people so I am prepared to draw if there is a knock on the door or any person approaches me outside because I know they have jumped the fence.

Exactly. My whole property is fenced, and the gate is always locked, so anyone who knocks on the door isn't supposed to be there unless I was expecting them. So the mere knock on the door is an alert to something not being quite right.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My snubby is in my non dominant front pocket each day, and a hand casually placed in a front pocket does not draw attention from most people. With just a modicum of situational awareness, combined with a proper pocket holster and pants with pockets that are conducive to pocket carry, it really is not hard to produce a J Frame from a pocket and get hits on target in under 2 seconds, with just a little practice. Of course that means you actually have to practice, and not just talk about it.

These are slow fire groups BTW, and I was shooting to note the difference between irons and laser sighted fire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As an aside, In the 90s, while doing uniformed patrol work I figured out (was shown the technique and the reasons why by an LE mentor) that a J Frame carried on the ankle was the way to go for me. I could get to it quickly while seated in the car, for dealing with unknown contacts, who would unexpectedly approach the window of your car.

It was blatantly obvious if you drew your service auto, by your body movements, and that would draw complaints. Just a slight bend forwards would allow me to slip the J Frame into my hand, and then either have it pointed at the person, or slid under my thigh, until I determined their intent/threat level, etc. Obviously the vast majority of the times they were just normal people, with normal issues, or wanting to visit, complain, etc. Twice in the career, I pointed the J Frame at Ne'er Do Wells, while simultaneously exiting my vehicle. Neither time it was fired. Both times, scumbags who thought they had the upper hand, with me being "trapped" in my car, were both shocked at the turn of events.

I owe thanks to an older LE mentor/ USPSA buddy for showing me that technique early on, and have passed it on to many in the business.

My J Frame is very rarely a primary gun. Its role is as a second/BUG, but every now and then it has to serve the role as primary. Not ideal, but there are times and places where options are limited. Around the house when I may not be carrying a regular carry piece, the J Frame works quite well in the pocket for answering the door/managing unknown contacts. If there is not time to tuck my regular CCW type pistol under my shirt, I simply slide a hand into my non dominant pocket and answer the door.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Speaking of J Frames, as I was dropping off my littlest Minion earlier this week I ran into a young guy I don't know very well, but know is a decent guy. He shoots USPSA, and I have been on the same squad with him a few times in the past, a number of years back

Apparently he remembered that I refer to my J Frame as my " Ear-Nose-Throat" gun, since that is likely one of the places it is going to get jammed into somebody if I am down to my J Frame and not using my primary gun. In other words, I am rolling on the ground, lost control of my primary weapon, and things are going very badly.

He inquired as to if I was carrying my "Ear-Nose Throat" gun. I acknowledged that I was. He then asked why "you pros carry small revolvers instead of autos" and stated that he had talked to a number of "older pros" (I assume he meant LE/former LE) and that they all carried J Frames. Apparently I am in the old category now...anyways..

I told him that while there are some very reliable small autos on the market like the single stack Glocks, the J Frame still works and lots of guys are alive today because they chose to carry one every day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 637 that lives in the door of my truck. I bought one the Mika pocket holsters to keep it clean. It's very well made and has a rubber-like fabric to keep it in your pocket if you need to deploy it in a hurry. I hardly ever carry it but it's handy in a coat or pants pocket for the rare occasion when I do.

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/product/pocket-holster/#prettyPhoto

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you don’t want to mess up your hammer - another option.

I went on EBay and found a hammer for my Model 36 - busted spur from being dropped i guess.

$25 out the door, a little grinding polishing and bluing gave me a bobbed hammer - had more trouble getting the sideplate off than anything else (couple of raps with a screwdriver handle on the grip frame and it finally popped off, but I digress!). The original went into my ever-expanding parts box so I can “restore” it if I want to.

Originally Posted by RWE
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

If the gun isn't a collector and you like it, bob the hammer.

Or get a 442 or an old M38 if you like J frames.

Just carry the gun.

Nothing wrong with pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"Revolvers don't jam". That is a quote from a Chicago cop that got into the elevator with me wearing two revolvers after I asked him why he didn't carry a semi-auto? For me carrying all the time just isn't comfortable with any kind of holster that I've tried. If I'm going somewhere where the threat level is higher, then sure I can deal with the lump in my lap. Some interesting stuff in that CCW laundry list of dos and don'ts. You can't shoot in defense of property. I guess that means that if a guy is leaving with your TV that you just say have a nice day. We had a defense lawyer talking to the group and there had been a situation there recently where a guy was car jacked and shot at his own vehicle in an effort to disable it from being stolen. Can't do that was the answer because shooting at any vehicle, even your own, is a class 2 felony.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nice and lightweight Colt Cobra, is in my pocket alot.
https://i.imgur.com/w5xUIMh.jpg

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
"Revolvers don't jam". That is a quote from a Chicago cop that got into the elevator with me wearing two revolvers after I asked him why he didn't carry a semi-auto? For me carrying all the time just isn't comfortable with any kind of holster that I've tried. If I'm going somewhere where the threat level is higher, then sure I can deal with the lump in my lap. Some interesting stuff in that CCW laundry list of dos and don'ts. You can't shoot in defense of property. I guess that means that if a guy is leaving with your TV that you just say have a nice day. We had a defense lawyer talking to the group and there had been a situation there recently where a guy was car jacked and shot at his own vehicle in an effort to disable it from being stolen. Can't do that was the answer because shooting at any vehicle, even your own, is a class 2 felony.

That tells me immediately the experience level of the person who makes such a statement.

The bad part is that when they do, they usually are not even remotely as easy to bring back into action as compared to typical malfunctions in a modern semi auto service weapon.

Revolvers have their attributes, and I am a big fan of the J Frames, but they can and do jam, and generally speaking are not nearly as reliable when it comes to high volume shooting, between cleanings.

In fact the weekend before last I was at a friend's who is a well known trainer in the industry. A social/shoot was being held and we were all shooting revolvers. I initially was running my rather tight 4" Model 19-3. However the trigger became extremely hard to pull and the cylinder was having a hard time rotating. Long story short, there was enough carbon built up in various places that is was affecting the advancement/action. Fortunately my friend has no shortage of cool guns, so he produced a rather cool 4" Round Butt K Frame that had been worked over by Wayne Novak.

[Linked Image]

Fortunately his was a lot cleaner than mine!

When I got home a good solvent soak and scrubbing revealed that the Model 19 had accumulated more lead & carbon from shooting wadcutters than I had realized. smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
Nice and lightweight Colt Cobra, is in my pocket alot.
https://i.imgur.com/w5xUIMh.jpg

Those are Old School cool.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think so too. Have it loaded with hollow based wadcutters, reversed. What you guys think of that, have heard both pro and con,but they flatten out about the size of a nickel in wet newspaper.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think so too. Have it loaded with hollow based wadcutters, reversed. What you guys think of that, have heard both pro and con,but they flatten out about the size of a nickel in wet newspaper.

I think if you are ever attacked by wet newsprint, you are in business. Otherwise, there are about eleventy four dozen better choices in defensive ammo.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Standard Wadcutters have a very good reputation for penetrating adequately out of 2" .38s and are carried by more than a few very knowledgeable people as their primary J Frame load, with some sort of JHP as a reload (due to ease of reloading with speedloaders or speedstrips as compared to full wadcutters).

I would suggest you turn your HB wadcutters back around.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really like the Buffalo Bore Ammo loading of their 150 grain hard cast wadcutters for carry in my snub nose 38 specials

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Revolvers don't jam, the hell they don't. Just last year, my Ruger SS "jammed" from un burnt 2400 powder flecks getting under the star. I was shooting double action at 7 yards, and it locked up.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I also use the Buffalo Arms 150 cast wadcutters in my S&W 38

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I think if you are ever attacked by wet newsprint, you are in business. Otherwise, there are about eleventy four dozen better choices in defensive ammo.

This.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,635
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.