Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hello Folks, I am with the Southwest Ohio Chapter of SCI. We have a "Sensory Safari" trailer that is loaded with taxidermy including mammals, reptiles, fish and birds. The primary purpose of this trailer is for the blind and visually impaired to learn about other animals. We allow the kids and everyone to touch the mounts, hides, skulls and bones. We also set up at county fairs and Cabela's stores to help promote conservation and hunting. We do not charge anything.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/o36BLj8.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/b7RtUKI.jpg[/img]

We are looking for some more donated mounts. We can generate a donation letter from the SCI foundation for your taxes. I can pay for shipping or pick up items if possible. I am in Cincinnati The following animals we have not been able to find:

1. Full Mounts

a. Mammals

i. Bobcat
ii. Cottontail Rabbit

iv. Fox
v. Groundhog
vi. Mink
vii. Mountain Lion
viii. Opossum
ix. Otter
x. Skunk
xi. Weasel
xii. Wolverine

b. Birds of Prey (Any) (working on a permit from state of Ohio)
i. Eagle
ii. Kestrel
iii. Falcon
iv. Vulture
v. Owl

c. Upland Game Birds
i. Chukar
ii. Dove
iii. Partridge
iv. Quail
v. Woodcock

d. Others
i. Armadillo
ii. Snake

2. Shoulder Mounts
a. Bull Elk
b. Mountain Goat
c. Big Horn or Dall Sheep
d. Muskox
e. Zebra

Thank you,

Jim
www.southwestohiosci.org

Last edited by Singleshot03; 10/24/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t have any of those but I’m spending a lot of field time over the next few months. If I get a skunk/ possum/ Fox/ other small critter would you prefer I get it mounted and then transfer it to you, or send you a skin and let you mount it how you want to locally?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't have anything, but I wish to extend my kudos to you for taking your time to bring a smile to the faces and a unique experience to those folks who might otherwise never have the opportunity.

Doing things for such people is top notch in my view.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is lots of good folks doing good things in this world
things I never thought of

This is one
hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This is SO cool. Thank you

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I don't have anything, but I wish to extend my kudos to you for taking your time to bring a smile to the faces and a unique experience to those folks who might otherwise never have the opportunity.
Doing things for such people is top notch in my view.

Big +1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
MJDuct, I am hoping people have the mounted animals sitting around gathering dust. Thank you for the offer but I am trying to avoid taxidermy costs. Thank you for the compliments. We have a good group of folks that go out and walk the blind through the exhibit. They enjoy it and their parents are appreciative. We had a woman tell us that she drives down the road and says there is a deer, her son had no idea of what she was talking about until after he went through the trailer. All kids and adults whether blind or not enjoy the trailer. Where else can you go and touch everything.

Jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For your birds of prey, call the University of Minnesota Raptor Center. They cannot save all of the birds that come in.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Awesome things you all are doing right there. Warms my heart.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Singleshot03,

This is a wonderful thing you are doing! Thank you and your members for putting this together and for sharing your time, money, and experience!

I do have a question for the other members here;

Does anyone know how much it would cost to do a full mount on a small mammal such as a rabbit, coon, muskrat, or 'possum, or any of the Upland birds?? Perhaps those of us who don't have a mount lying around could donate towards getting these animals mounted.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
let me think on this & talk to the better half. I've got a mtn lion----life size. Shoulder mounts-----6x6 elk, mtn goat, bighorn sheep. Do you need a moose?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Colorado Bob, that would be great. I am good on the moose thank you. Jim

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very cool,
Do you just do the Ohio area or travel?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best thing posted on 24 hour in awhile!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
This is really cool, thought it would be one of the "constipated bobcat" threads from the title. I don't have anything to contribute unfortunately, but it would be a great opportunity for an amateur taxi to get some practice.

I'd be happy to purchase any form under $100 and have it shipped to someone that would be willing to mount the animal and donate it within a reasonable time frame. PM me if you're an interested taxidermist, especially if you're learning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Does anyone know how much it would cost to do a full mount on a small mammal such as a rabbit, coon, muskrat, or 'possum, or any of the Upland birds?? Perhaps those of us who don't have a mount lying around could donate towards getting these animals mounted.

Ed

Locally about $600 for a bobcat if you have it tanned already. If the taxidermist has a heart for stuff like this maybe 3-400? I don't know about smaller critters.

I would also call taxidermists, I used to know one in the rural areas that took cash only upon pickup, and he had alot of of stuff lying aroud, work that was never paid for or picked up.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Rong, our Chapter of Safari Club does Ohio and Northern Kentucky. I am trying to get a list of other chapters that have Sensory Safari Trailers.

Gatogrizz27 I appreciate the generosity.

Mjduct, I never thought about the stuff that people never pick up from a taxidermist.

Thank you for all of your help and appreciation

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I can offer is encouragement. Sounds like a really good thing you have going there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent cause!

I wish I could help, but am a tad short of anything needed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent idea...I too wish I was closer! But I don't really have much you don't already have.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 37 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,572
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.