C
Dawn dish washing liquid.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
[quote=Pappy348
I need another rifle, especially a .50 ML, like I need another winky, but I could be happy with this one. An accessory barrel for my Renegade would make more sense though.

Anyway good luck with your new toy.

I don't know, another winky would open lots of possibilities....[/quote]

"I'm thinking about shooting my dick off. It's caused me nothing but trouble." -Jeff Bridges in Texasville

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to drift this thread too far afield, but I mixed up a gallon of Ed's Red about 20 years ago and have been using from the smaller Acetone can as needed. A couple times the lid on the using can was left off, once overnight. What's the odds that the acetone has fumed off?
It still works great as a powder fouling solvent in my 45acp.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Never tried Ed's Red, sounds like a winner. I've mostly used Windex with vinegar with good results on BP and most subs, but not BH209. Last year I shot off some White Hot pellets someone gave me and the fouling it left was some of the easiest to clean I've shot.

Shaman, glad you're likin' that Redemption, hope you blood it soon!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Not to drift this thread too far afield, but I mixed up a gallon of Ed's Red about 20 years ago and have been using from the smaller Acetone can as needed. A couple times the lid on the using can was left off, once overnight. What's the odds that the acetone has fumed off?

Not really an issue as the compounds in the solution were pretty well cross-linked. Leaving the cap off for an extended period of time would allow it to oxidize and break down, allowing the volatile components (acetone) to vape off. (At least that's my interpretation of the complicated answer a chemistry nut here on campus explained it to me.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ole_270

It probably has. However, outside of the carcinogenic nature of acetone, I would not worry too much. The acetone is mostly there to dissolve the plastic in shotgun wads that gets caked inside barrels. A 3-part Ed's Red (K2, ATP, and Mineral Spirits) would probably work almost as well. At least that's what I've found over the past 12 years.

BTW: I normally mix about a half-cup of each ingredient or less when I mix it. It stays fresher that way.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, I've stored it in metal air tight cans since mixing it. I use it for powder fouling and as a final coating after cleaning in almost everything. Works for me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I mixed up a gallon of Ed's Red and also added some Kroil to aid in penetration. I have used it for at least 15 years and love the price. I have only used it on smokeless handguns, rifles and shotguns but it works well for me.

Last edited by 280fan; 10/26/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Funny anecdote: Back when I was re-ennacting (42nd Reg't of Foot), we had a guy who insisted on using nothing but natural products to clean and preserve his Brown Bess. His preservative of choice was bacon grease. Yep. No matter how much I warned him about it, invariably the next morning it was rusty. We called it the "Rustket". He couldn't understand that it was due to the salt (and god knows what else) that's present in bacon.

His means of polishing the bright steel of the "Rustket"? Finely ground brick dust, per period recommendations. It was a sight to behold.

Just for you Gnoahh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQd7sSXVw3U

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 10/26/17.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks! Been a long while since I heard that song. Our Major was a retired Major of the Canadian Black Watch.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
What is the advantage over standard black powder????

The main advantage is availability, and safety. Black powder is actually classified as an explosive, with special storage requirements for dealers. Most dealers don't want the hassle, so, since numerous safe substitutes are available, they do not carry/sell it. Also, black powder, if not stored correctly, can become unstable. The various substitutes eliminate those problems. Some of them will also degrade, but they do not become dangerous, but simply less potent.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
How does black powder become unstable? Granted its not stored next to the water heater, furnace, or other heat source.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
How does black powder become unstable? Granted its not stored next to the water heater, furnace, or other heat source.

Not exactly sure how it works, just remember reading about it many years ago. I seem to recall that it's only an issue with improper storage, though, with severe heat/cold fluctuations.Stored properly, it'll keep just about indefinitely.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
HH. Thats been my experience as well. If anything ( other than the loud, booming alternative), black powder can also degrade if improperly stored. Like from exposure to Moisture of the water variety!

Im still using several pounds of DuPont FFFFG from the 60's! Kept dry and properly stored its good forever! Back in the day, i bet 40% of the old original "grandpappy" muzzleloaders folks brought into the shop were loaded! (First thing i always checked!). They were quite surprised when i showed em what the loose powder did when open flame was applied! laugh

Founder

WS

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've even bought muzzleloaders that were shipped to me loaded.............. mad

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Coolest one was an 1862 Colt pocket police! Loaded with conicals and the conbustible paper still attached to the bullet base! Capped and all! When
Manager handed it to me I thought it was one of the new production runs! It was that clean!!!

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.