Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Today I went and gave my last 270 to my son in law. As of now my dedicated hunting rifle is a 6.5X55 swede and I guess I have to admit now I've been bit by the 6.5 bug. ☺

As of now I don't own any weapons of the magnum variety but I am considering buying one rifle that would fill any nitch that the 6.5 Swede doesn't. Particularly a rifle to accommodate hunting elk in grizzly territory and also one that will dual purpose serve as a 700 ish yd long range rifle.

Disclaimer,

Just because I'm new around here and ask for others opinions doesn't mean I haven't hunted for 40 years nor does it mean I haven't shot at 500 ish yds 10,000 times. It simply means I appreciate others point of view. So paaleese try not to "ASSUME" what you have zero idea about and just offer me your friendly advice because I always appreciate an unassuming point of view.

PS....the above Disclaimer is intended for trolls and scum and the like...... not the 98% of the other helpful campfire members. ☺☺☺

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/30/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
45-70 might be a fun 700 yard gun.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have you looked at the 223ai?

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DollarShort

One of them ones with the octagon barrel would work. ☺

It would flat play hell with a grizzly!

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Have you looked at the 223ai?

I haven't, is this ingwe in disguise? I'm not gay anymore!

Trystan

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

This'n here?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diO62p2sMWw

It's dang near artillery!

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

This'n here?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diO62p2sMWw

It's dang near artillery!

Dang, me like the way you think sir!! ☺

Trystan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
28 Nosler or 284 STW

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
28 Nosler or 284 STW

I've got a 500 count box of 168 gr Berger VLDs and I need something to shoot em in so something 284 caliber is a heavy consideration.

Trystan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
28 Nosler or 284 STW

I've got a 500 count box of 168 gr Berger VLDs and I need something to shoot em in so something 284 caliber is a heavy consideration.

Trystan

Definitely 700yd bullets Trystan.

IC B3

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
28 Nosler or 284 STW

Trystan

Definitely 700yd bullets Trystan.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any recommendation as far as a rifle in 7 STW or 28 Nosler?

Trystan

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
One that I always liked was the good ol 208 rem...I built one for a friend in Alaska...he kill at least 2 grizz with it...several sheep and goats.....he claimed the goats were harder to kill than bears

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
28 Nosler don't have any hands on experience with one. Just know the ballistics are similar to the STW. I have 15 years with the STW. Mine is built off a Sako L 61 R action with a fluted RKS Gain Twist tube finished at 26 inches. It's a flat shooting laser beam that hauls azz. My only advice is you need a really good barrel to have a good STW. You could build a STW and get a better rifle component wise than buying a Nosler rifle. I know Browning chambers the 28 Nosler but I'm not a fan of Browning firearms. If your a fan of the Remington 700 you could buy a 26 inch barrel 7mm Rem Mag and have your local gunsmith run the 7mm STW reamer through it and you'd have a solid longrange hunting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A standard 7RM or 7WSM would be my choice, leaning to the 7WSM. Sell those 168's and buy some 180gr ELD's, and you'll be golden!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
7mm ultra mag Sendero

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Today I went and gave my last 270 to my son in law. As of now my dedicated hunting rifle is a 6.5X55 swede and I guess I have to admit now I've been bit by the 6.5 bug. ☺

As of now I don't own any weapons of the magnum variety but I am considering buying one rifle that would fill any nitch that the 6.5 Swede doesn't. Particularly a rifle to accommodate hunting elk in grizzly territory and also one that will dual purpose serve as a 700 ish yd long range rifle.

Disclaimer,

Just because I'm new around here and ask for others opinions doesn't mean I haven't hunted for 40 years nor does it mean I haven't shot at 500 ish yds 10,000 times. It simply means I appreciate others point of view. So paaleese try not to "ASSUME" what you have zero idea about and just offer me your friendly advice because I always appreciate an unassuming point of view.

PS....the above Disclaimer is intended for trolls and scum and the like...... not the 98% of the other helpful campfire members. ☺☺☺

Trystan

Why would hunting elk in “grizzly territory” influence the decision of your caliber choice for elk? Additionally, when you say “...serve as a 700 ish yd long range rifle.” Do you just want to punch paper targets?

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smallfry

Disclaimer,

Trystan

Why would hunting elk in “grizzly territory” influence the decision of your caliber choice for elk? Additionally, when you say “...serve as a 700 ish yd long range rifle.” Do you just want to punch paper targets?

Because where I live a good many hunters have had a serious encounter with griz apon taking down an elk. Generally you just back away and let the grizzly claim the carcass if that's an option. I've had this happen to two different brothers a cousin and several friends. In other words its a fairly serious consideration. If you find yourself stairing down a hungry griz do you want a 6.5X55 swede or would you prefer something of the magnum variety. For my cousin and 1 friend backing away is not an option that was presented.

Yes I want to punch paper at 700

Trystan

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am 270 light with only three rifles. 1 270 ADL of 1970s vintage that I shot my first moose with and won my wife. 1 Stevens 200 that my son painted silver and gave back in exchange for a 308 Kimber hunter. 1 JOC Model 70 Tribute. 28 Nosler all the way. The cartridge is straight up ninja. Kicks about like a 30/06 and lays out the lumber way the hell out there. It may be my favorite cartridge and don't bother asking me how many different rifles of different calibers I own. Get it in a Fierce Edge and you will know a light weight rifle that straight up is amazing.

Last edited by kaboku68; 10/30/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Each to his/her own but, if I am staring down a hungry grizzly in obviously close quarters, I am wanting at least my 338 Win Mag.

No experience with the 700 yard paper punching.

If the 338 Win would not be satisfactory, I would move to two rifles / cartridges instead of one. Or a larger capacity 338.

Trystan[/quote]
[/quote]

Because where I live a good many hunters have had a serious encounter with griz apon taking down an elk. Generally you just back away and let the grizzly claim the carcass if that's an option. I've had this happen to two different brothers a cousin and several friends. In other words its a fairly serious consideration. If you find yourself stairing down a hungry griz do you want a 6.5X55 swede or would you prefer something of the magnum variety. For my cousin and 1 friend backing away is not an option that was presented.

Yes I want to punch paper at 700

Trystan[/quote]

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
300 Weatherby Magnum. I've shot steel plates @ 700 yards and no elk or grizz would stand a chance against it..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.