Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've a Howa in 6.5X55 that is a good shooter, but the OEM stock is a bit heavy and 'tacky' feeling, I believe it is made by Hogue? Has anyone found a good aftermarket stock for the Howa? I notice that B&C make one, but not sure if anyone else does?

Thanks for the help,

Tim

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McMillan Sako Classic in the fill of your choice.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
McMillan Edge.

Howa's are the heaviest actions you can buy and even with McMillan's lightest stock on it it'll be a heavy rifle. But the Hogue's are about the heaviest stock so when you combine the 2 you get a boat anchor.

If you don't want to spend $600 a B&C Medalist is $300ish and a decent stock. They are still heavier than I like (about 32 oz compared to 22-24 oz for an Edge), but much lighter than the Hogue. Some of those I've weighed were over 3 lbs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How much do you want to spend?

I think that the Weatherby Vanguard2 stocks are a huge improvement over the factory Hogues and they can be regularly found on eBay for under $100.

$300+/- will buy you a B&C Medalist, which is a nice stock, but, at least IMO, not enough better than the V2 stock to spend another $200+/- on.

$550+/- will buy you a standard McMillan, not an Edge, which is probably the best buy if you plan to keep this rifle for a long time and shoot it a lot.

I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 and went through a couple of different stocks before I decided that I liked the V2 stock better than the others that I'd tried, including an old style of B&C. I don't like it enough to justify buying a McMillan for it, so it will probably stay as it is until it goes to a new home.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the info. I really do like the way the rifle shoots and the 6.5 Swede is one of my very favorites.
Therefore, I think it might be worth it to invest in a McMillan .

Last edited by 340boy; 10/29/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 340boy
Thanks for all the info. I really do like the way the rifle shoots and the 6.5 Swede is one of my very favorites.
Therefore, I think it might be worth it to invest in a McMillan .

Awhile back I put a McM McM Hunter style on a short action V2 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it made a good rifle great.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't overlook the Bansner/High-Tech/LAW stocks.

They have them on the Howa Alpine's and can be had for (usually 300 unfinished, or $300-400 finished/used) the Howa and can come in around 24-26oz and would do you well.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
On the cheap a used weatherby vanguard stock off eBay will fit. Not the lightest but solid stocks.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
TDN,
I will give those stock brands you mention a look also. Bangeye, I am looking for something considerably lighter than the Hogue that the rifle is fitted with now.
Thanks for the input, guys!

James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ll 2nd what tdn said those stocks are awesome and totally change the feeling of the howa.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Howa Lightweight in .308, Sako Classic 50/50 orange/black McSwirley.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neat looking rifle. Especially in authentic Halloween camo... Homesteader

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TDN

They have them on the Howa Alpine's and can be had for (usually 300 unfinished, or $300-400 finished/used) the Howa and can come in around 24-26oz and would do you well.

Beat me to it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I absolutely hate the stock on my Howa Lightning. It's too bulky, and the LOP is longer than I like. I've thought about changing it out, but honestly hate to spend more for a stock than I did for the rifle. I know.....I'm being a cheapskate. But.......have looked at the stocks on Ebay that are Vanguard takeoffs. Are those stocks really any better than what's on the Howa now? I don't want to buy another piece of firewood.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I absolutely hate the stock on my Howa Lightning. It's too bulky, and the LOP is longer than I like. I've thought about changing it out, but honestly hate to spend more for a stock than I did for the rifle. I know.....I'm being a cheapskate. But.......have looked at the stocks on Ebay that are Vanguard takeoffs. Are those stocks really any better than what's on the Howa now? I don't want to buy another piece of firewood.

The Vanguard stocks changed over the years and the style that I like is from the current production Vanguard2. These stocks are gray with "Griptonite" inserts on the pistol grip and forearm.

GPC has a couple of different short action styles of new, old stock, walnut stocks that were leftover from when Smith & Wesson was selling bolt action rifles built on the Howa 1500 actions that they are selling in the $140 to $170 range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've looked on Ebay, and there are a ton of stocks for the Howa/Vanguard rifles.....but most are either advertised as being made by Hogue, or else they look like a Hogue. Which is exactly what I do not want. I know it's a matter of pricing, but it appears to me that Howa would wake up and realize that those stocks are probably costing them some sales.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Howa Lightweight in .308, Sako Classic 50/50 orange/black McSwirley.

[Linked Image]

Vic,
I like the looks of that! What does it weigh, all up?

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've looked on Ebay, and there are a ton of stocks for the Howa/Vanguard rifles.....but most are either advertised as being made by Hogue, or else they look like a Hogue. Which is exactly what I do not want. I know it's a matter of pricing, but it appears to me that Howa would wake up and realize that those stocks are probably costing them some sales.

You can buy a new current production Weatherby Vanguard2 "Griptonite" stock directly from Weatherby for $139 plus shipping.

www.weatherby.com

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by TDN

Beat me to it!

Yeah, this, definitely. The Hogue is a boat anchor. My Alpine rifle had a Bansner stock that was a complete game-changer in terms of handling. They're also among the best-looking stocks I've ever seen. A Howa will never be a true lightweight, but that's not always a bad thing. A Bansner stock will shift the balance well forward, which will make it hang very nicely for offhand shooting.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by TDN

Beat me to it!

Yeah, this, definitely. The Hogue is a boat anchor. My Alpine rifle had a Bansner stock that was a complete game-changer in terms of handling. They're also among the best-looking stocks I've ever seen. A Howa will never be a true lightweight, but that's not always a bad thing. A Bansner stock will shift the balance well forward, which will make it hang very nicely for offhand shooting.

Okie John

I had to make a quick trip to Owensboro, KY yesterday, and made short stop at Whitakers. They had several of the Howa Alpine rifles in stock, and the stock on them is among the best looking and fitting stocks I've seen. If Howa can put a stock like that on their top end rifle, surely they could find something of an improvement for the stocks on their other rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.