What should I look for?

Upright or chest?

Ready go!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
upright is the only way to go.

chest will have you digging stuff out the bottom 5 yrs from now you have forgotten about.....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like chest freezers.

I read a bit ago that most are made by the same couple factories, just rebranded. I have one from Costco that was pretty cheap. Small 7 or 9 CF model. Manual defrost. Not a big deal every couple years. The second is a larger freezer I bought at a yard sale. 15+ CF. It’s probably 30-40years old and works great. I’d bet it outlasts the new one.

Uprights are great, but you’ll still bury things, harder to use all the space, and schit falls out when you open the door. A couple milk crates in a chest freezer help keep it organized and easy to access things.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest upright they make and frost free as well you won't regret it.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fan of chest freezers. No idea what brand ours is but have had it for 20 years and it works great. One recomendation is to freeze a 5 gallon bucket or two of ice to have a thermal mass when your freezing large quantities of meat. I also make 50# blocks of ice in a 50# sausage tote for my large coolers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Last freezer I bought was an upright Sears/Kenmore.

22 cu.ft I believe.

And NOT frost free. Those things are garbage.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
About a year ago, replaced my chest freezer with an upright, defrosting frigidaire. Can't remember how big it is but holds a whole processed elk, 2 processed deer and a bunch of other game (ducks, grouse, fish). Dang nice. So glad I don't have to bend over and dig anymore.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I like chest freezers.

I read a bit ago that most are made by the same couple factories, just rebranded. I have one from Costco that was pretty cheap. Small 7 or 9 CF model. Manual defrost. Not a big deal every couple years. The second is a larger freezer I bought at a yard sale. 15+ CF. It’s probably 30-40years old and works great. I’d bet it outlasts the new one.

Uprights are great, but you’ll still bury things, harder to use all the space, and schit falls out when you open the door. A couple milk crates in a chest freezer help keep it organized and easy to access things.

This is the one we have and has worked well.
Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes (I think) were all just rebadged units of the same mfg.

Our chest freezer works fine if you don't have everybody in the house digging thru it - messing chit up.

The milk crate idea sounds like a winner though.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Chest freezers are more efficient.The cold air doens't fall out the door when you open the lid like an up right does. I like them.It is easy to separate food using those big Ziplock bags after the food is packaged.

Manual Defrost type will keep your food longer with out freezer burn.

Buy bigger than what you think you will need. It's always nice to be able to freeze gallon jugs of ice to take a long on warm hunting trips to keep meat cool

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three freezers.Two are 4ft chest and one upright.One chest freezer is a General Electric.It's 50yrs old,yes 50yrs old.Still works as good as it did when it was new. The other chest is a Frigidaire,I've had it for about 15yrs and it works great too.My wife made a bunch of cloth bags about the size of a big paper grocery bag.She also put different colored handles on them so you can store like foods by colored handles.The recycled grocery bags they sell in the stores would work well too.By storing the stuff in bags,it makes it much easier when you go to look for something.You can simply lift the bags out,it's much better than digging through a freezer full of loose stuff.My upright is an old Magic Chef.I use it as my ice maker.Works great for that because it has shelves.I don't really like it for food storage because food just keeps a lot better in the chest freezer.So if I could only choose one type,it would be a chest freezer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Manuel defrost...foam insulation... Not fglass... Chest. The 4 commandments of FZ'ers

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Manual Defrost type will keep your food longer with out freezer burn.

Buy bigger than what you think you will need. It's always nice to be able to freeze gallon jugs of ice to take a long on warm hunting trips to keep meat cool

Also, we never buy ice for coolers. For traveling, we freeze a case of bottled water. They don't leak, and after they start to thaw just drink them

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You can’t put a potential to be mounted deer head/antlers in an upright.......

Mjduct Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom264
You can’t put a potential to be mounted deer head/antlers in an upright.......

Damn thats a good thought, I had to take one to the taxidermist because it was starting to stank and I didnt have time to get it all cleaned up and boiled off this week for a euro mount...

could have saves 150 bucks or so right there... bought a bigger freezer!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

upright/manual defrost here in my basement.........defrost is no big job.......

http://www.aphome.com/appliance-blo...st-and-chest-freezer-vs-upright-freezer/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you don't use a freezer all that much, and eat everything in it within a year, an upright frost-free will work. But if you're a "serious freezer," meaning you depend on them for much of your food supply, whether meat from game or home-raised fruit and vegetables, then non-frost free chest freezers work best.

We have three 15-cubic feet freezers, two chest and one upright, all non-frost-free. But the upright is only used for stuff my wife saves for recipes in her cookbooks, so isn't opened every week, so the packages don't get freezer-burned.

If you keep frozen stuff more than a year, non-frost free chest freezers work best.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm may be a bit late but I'll echo what some have said.

- chest
- non frost-free
- use milk crates for organization
- freeze milk jugs to take up empty space, this helps to maintain temps in power outages and save electric

I bought this model a couple years ago as it was the largest freezer I could get down into my non-walkout basement. It currently holds a cow elk, 2 ground deer, and some additional Costco items with room to spare.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM11PHWW/205443672

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djb
I'm may be a bit late but I'll echo what some have said.

- chest
- non frost-free
- use milk crates for organization
- freeze milk jugs to take up empty space, this helps to maintain temps in power outages and save electric

I bought this model a couple years ago as it was the largest freezer I could get down into my non-walkout basement. It currently holds a cow elk, 2 ground deer, and some additional Costco items with room to spare.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM11PHWW/205443672

Same here,, we replaced a Sears with a Maytag last summer,,far superior piece of equiptment!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
About a year ago, replaced my chest freezer with an upright, defrosting frigidaire. Can't remember how big it is but holds a whole processed elk, 2 processed deer and a bunch of other game (ducks, grouse, fish). Dang nice. So glad I don't have to bend over and dig anymore.

I think I may have seen one of your earlier posts, since I remember the part about the elk and two deer.

As a result of that, and recommendations from a couple of hunting buddies, who say items get lost in the chest freezers, I bought a 16.6 cu ft Frigidaire frost-free upright. I got it during the Labor Day sale, though I expect there may be other sales.

I bought the one with only one storage crate. I found that I can get perfect sized ones very cheaply, either polymer or wire, at Walmart and thereby save at least 50 bucks, compared to the model that comes with more crates!.

Now I'm ready to bring home an elk! grin

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 22 cubic foot chest freezer, manual defrost. I've had both and disliked all of the stuff falling out of an upright, even when I made some retainers to hold stuff on the shelf. I found it harder to dig for stuff in the back of an upright than I did from the bottom of a chest freezer. Our mileage does vary. Wear steel toed shoes when you open an upright and especially if you dig for something at the back of a shelf.

With my kids grown we don't need that much space but it sure is nice if you have a large deer rack in velvet to put it in whole and let it freeze dry, a whole lynx till you have time to skin it, or store a bear hide etc. till you can get it to a tannery. We have lots of wild berries in it, large buys on sale food items, frozen whole ears of corn, and when it gets low, we fill the empty space with frozen water bottles especially half gallon and quart size. I made spacer dividers from 1/8 inch veneer panels that fit in slots on the walls, and also have boxes filled with same category items. Our freezer is old. I've had it for 12 years and bought it used from a fridge repair man who had put a new and larger compressor in it. The top makes a useful temporary table in my garage, and we use the freezer so much that we never let items accumulate on the lid.

Gotta go cut up a deer. smile

Will add that in our town where they make us fanatically sort garbage into seven categories, we put our stinky garbage into our freezer till pick-up morning. The garbage man picks up a frozen block of kitchen compostables. Big space is nice. Living in town, I also I freeze the bones and throw away parts of deer etc. till I can haul them back to the woods. Keeps them from stinking. If you got the space, use it.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/15/17. Reason: after thot
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 18,057 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,842
Posts18,537,240
Members74,047
Most Online19,844
48 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.