Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to see that Sam.

Our water heater started leaking this spring - we moved in last August. One lady with two now grown boys lived here previously. She had a 120 gallon electric commercial grade water heater in the basement. Fuggin thing took three guys to haul up our narrow stairs.

Put in a gas tankless heater and life is great.....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Carpet in a basement is always a huge mistake. It only takes one time the sump pump fails, the float doesn't work or the power goes out when you are gone for more than 12 hours and there you are with a basement full of water. Carpet in a basement is a direct violation of Murphy's law and Murphy will slap you down at his first opportunity and at the worst possible time.

kwg

One of life's greatest truths here.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, I am not a carpenter and never will be, no remodeling for me!

Jim, how much do you guys have to pay the hired man? We could use another guy for 20-30 hours a week but trustworthy help is hard to find. It could get very expensive in a hurry.

Rooster, it's not that hard but more of a time thing for me. I hate feeling trapped by work. And now the days are getting shorter and the whining is getting longer....grin

Marty, I hear you, they are a pain in the ass! We've lived here for 7 years now and have replaced the hot water heater twice. I guess the city water is hard on them, that and I'm sure they cheapened up the tanks.

I packed a bunch of soggy chit of the basement yesterday. Got the rest of it out today. Dad and I looked at the furnace and it is a no go. Gonna have to call in repair man for that.

At least we got last of the calves weaned and hauled home this morning. Still 8 pair missing somewhere out in the Breaks but they'll show up sometime.

Just got home in time to see the Bobcats beat the Griz!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sorry for your bad luck

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sam I feel your pain. Earlier this fall I dropped a 530’ solar pump,wire and pipe down a 3557’ deep well. Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then everything I tried to do went to hell. Had a water leak at the barn and broke the valve that controls the entire corrals while trying to shut it off. Got the hoe and proceeded to fubar the whole system. 2 days to fix all that. Broke main hydraulic line on Kubota 10 days before weaning and only tractor to run a used feed mixer wagon I just bought. Week to get part and 3 mechanics before I found who could fix it without pulling the entire rops,floorboards, and steering column etc. I was finishing the welding on the new feedlot pen and the armature bearing went out of my Miller big 40. All ended well but it was a photo finish. Drug the welder out of the corrals and had the seller teach me to run the mix wagon the night before we weaned.
I got scared to walk out of the house for fear of what the hell I would screw up next. That stuff damn sure runs in cycles.
WHINING RANT OVER !!!!!!!!!!!!
The calves weaned really well, only doctored 3 after 3 weeks. No cold nights yet( only one under 40) so that sure minimizes the sickness.
Hope yours are doing well.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cats won? Good news.

We started him at 15 Sam, but gave him a two dollar raise this fall.

Some times a good hired man is like a good accountant. Expensive at times, but makes/saves you money in the long run.

Thats only for a good hired man though.

We lucked out and hired a great guy who was helping us part time for a couple years. Part time because he was full time for the National Guard.

Now that he is retired he is more or less full time.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sounds about right, Fred.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by azrancher
Sam I feel your pain. Earlier this fall I dropped a 530’ solar pump,wire and pipe down a 3557’ deep well. Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then everything I tried to do went to hell. Had a water leak at the barn and broke the valve that controls the entire corrals while trying to shut it off. Got the hoe and proceeded to fubar the whole system. 2 days to fix all that. Broke main hydraulic line on Kubota 10 days before weaning and only tractor to run a used feed mixer wagon I just bought. Week to get part and 3 mechanics before I found who could fix it without pulling the entire rops,floorboards, and steering column etc. I was finishing the welding on the new feedlot pen and the armature bearing went out of my Miller big 40. All ended well but it was a photo finish. Drug the welder out of the corrals and had the seller teach me to run the mix wagon the night before we weaned.
I got scared to walk out of the house for fear of what the hell I would screw up next. That stuff damn sure runs in cycles.
The calves weaned really well, only doctored 3 after 3 weeks. No cold nights yet( only one under 40) so that sure minimizes the sickness.

Fred

3500' deep well, holy moly that's deep. I thought my 450' house well was deep.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Dont give in to the "real" job temptation Sam.

Those working stiffs might make it sound good, but I think they are full of chit.

Here I am, a Thursday night, and I am several drinks into a half gallon of Jack Daniels.

No way I could do that with a "real" job.

Worked fine for me and allowed a happy retirement at 53.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Fred
'

I SAID what Sam and Jim do

lol

Sorry about your problems though. That would suck

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sure, thats fine if you want to retire Ed.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 11/18/17.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SamOlsosn

Rooster, it's not that hard but more of a time thing for me. I hate feeling trapped by work. And now the days are getting shorter and the whining is getting longer....grin

I get that. I would seriously consider that hired man just so you can spend more time with wifey.

That's important too. Trust me...

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Our water heaters get destroyed regularly by our city water.
I make a point of shutting the supply valve to the house off if I'm away for any length of time as a precaution to what Sam is experiencing in this instance.
Sometimes I'll shut it off if I'm gone out of town even or a long day.
I'm paranoid about flooded basements. Learned to be from my brother's experience and that of others.

Dave
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One day, when I'm no longer able to take care of my acreage, I will only live on a one level stab.

Basements suck!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Fred

Just another boring day at the office, eh? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fugk that sucks.

Sorry SammO.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highwayman
I make a point of shutting the supply valve to the house off if I'm away for any length of time as a precaution to what Sam is experiencing in this instance.
I'm paranoid about flooded basements. Learned to be from my brother's experience and that of others.

Do you have a pressure problem?
I know folks on town water system here that have had big problems with high pressure.
Pressure can get bad if you are at the bottom of a system that has big elevation changes.
You may just need a pressure regulator.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Come over to hunt some deer Sam.

I have gazillions of the damn things....and easy to hunt.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by highwayman

Do you have a pressure problem?
I know folks on town water system here that have had big problems with high pressure.
Pressure can get bad if you are at the bottom of a system that has big elevation changes.
You may just need a pressure regulator.

No pressure issue, they just rot out at the bottom and spring leaks.
Pressure is about 50 pounds.

Dave
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Fred

Fred, glad to hear the calves are healthy!
(sorry about the well/pump and tractor trouble)

It was fairly cold(0-20F) when we weaned and I think that actually helps us. We've doctored a grand total of 2 so far.
They are all lined out at the feedbunk every morning ready to chow down!
(knock on wood)

Been a perfect November so far weather-wise.

JC, Cats won!

I figured it would be close to that with wages. $15-20 seems about right DOE.

There are deer around here but I have trouble finding a big enough one to shoot......

Ed, you have retired 'early' but you also earned it. That would be a hard gig. The stress and being away from family would be hard.

I'm home about 360 nights a year and that is nice.

Highway, our water pressure is also around 50psi. Cheapy tanks made with cheapy material!

Hell my parents water heater is 30-40 years old(seriously). The water heater in the flooded basement is a 1987 model.

Rooster, basements around here are usually a good deal, random help not so much......grin

Flavo, Coors Light, Hot Damn and Knob Creek therapy....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,900
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.