Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I made one out of maple same length as I am tall or my arms are outstretched. I use it when my knees are acting up and I'm hunting. If I'm hiking in the mountains with a back pack I use two ski poles that I cut down a couple of inches. If my knees aren't bothering me I don't use either.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
KC:

Are you certain your stalks are from a yucca? Arizona's sotol stalks usually provide the best, lightest and strongest sticks, and they only get better as the years go by. We call them "Moses Sticks" down here in southern Arizona.

I have one I've used for at least 40 years. I padded the top with a piece of foam and covered it and 18 inches or so of the heavy end of the stalk with elkskin. A rubber crutch-tip on the slim end completes the stick.

It makes a dandy monopod in addition helping steady me when I'm on steep slopes. I like to cut the stalk so that it is the height of my eyes from the ground, so that I can steady my binoculars on it when standing up and glassing for deer and javelinas.

Bill Quimby

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by billrquimby
KC:

Are you certain your stalks are from a yucca? Arizona's sotol stalks usually provide the best, lightest and strongest sticks, and they only get better as the years go by. We call them "Moses Sticks" down here in southern Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Bill:

No I'm not sure it was a yucca. That was a long time ago (maybe 3 or 4 decades). But she still has it and still uses it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 81 years old and not as steady as I use to be so I've been using a walking stick and cane for a couple years now.

[Linked Image]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've made many walking/shooting mono-sticks out of birch. I look for a piece that is relatively straight with a fork in it, cut it to my height, peel it, pad the shooting fork, and have at it. Often I need to slender the lower end to wind up with a stick of relatively same diameter, top to bottom - usually 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches. I don't make 'em pretty, just leave them rough carved- usually with a machete. I do use 60 grit sandpaper to smooth off rough or sharp edges. Cheap and quick! A good feature, as I have a bunch of them scattered around the country.... smile

The same-body height allows it to be used well both up-hill and down, walking or shooting, as well as on the level.

I've also recently been using my BOG-POD tripod as a walking stick when needed. Again, double duty.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by HUNTS
Timely thread. My dog was attacked again today by a dog running wild on our walk. Good and tired of this happening. Must have been 10 or more times in as many years. Went down to Sportsmans WH and got one of the 60" hickory ones about 1 1/2" thick. Next time...

Can't afford ammo?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great gift. Nice wood working.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.