Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Accubond isn't that Winchester?

GB1

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester does load them as factory (with red tips -combined Technology). Nosler makes the accubond. See here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=193241

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ok. I also reload and have found that winchester bullets are lacking in uniformity, that being the least of the trouble I have with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the combined tech bullets are the exact same makeup as the nosler ballistic tips and accubonds with a black coating called luballoy.
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah that is what surprises me that Amgel had a hard time with them...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When I got into reloading I decided that my reloads were going to be as close the perfect as I could make them, in doing so I started to buy bullets powder etc etc..... I weigh every load, every bullet and that is when I noticed the winchester 30 cal bullets I bought that were supposed to weigh 147 Gr. were weighing as little as 140GR. and as much as 152GR.. Infact in a box of 100 I could not find 20 that weighed the same, I called winchester about this and some phone genious said " so no one else is doing any better." Not true I said Hornady's bullets are within .10 of a grain throughout the box of 100. NOW COMES THE BEST PART... this dolt says "I guess you are just too picky for us" at which point I hung up!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wyowhisper,

Douglas, WY

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Arch, the 147s??? Man give me a break... those are the worst of the worst to start out with. Sorry you started weighing those ones, you at least started at the bottom.

No one is within 0.10 of a grain all the time, but some are better than others.

I've weighed regular win, like PP and they are as close as any other hunting bullet.

FWIW I've shot differing weights of bullets at 600 in many matches doing testing. I've come to the conclusion its easy to clean a highpower target at 600 if you have come up with the load Via Audette test, and the charges are within 0.5 grains, and the bullets within 0.3/4 grains and case weights (in 223) within 2.0 grains. Anything over and the groups can open up too much. Finding hunting bullets within that .3/.4 grains is pretty easy on average.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
rost as I stated in the previous post the weights were "the least of the trouble I have with them."
The statements made by the person a winchester were both not customer friendly and just plain rude!!

I did find Hornady's bullets to be within .10 of a grain throughout the ENTIRE box of 100. I hold my loads of powder to exact weights measuring every single load, I weigh and group bullets and cases so they are not mixed together. Yes I am probably anal but I can be sure when I squeeze the trigger the only thing working against me is me.

So while I was new to reloading when I bought the 147's, it was the answers of the winchester employee the turned me off! There is such a thing as customer service and when I am treated like my business don't matter they don't get my business again.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Arch

Totally agree on the customer service issue with you. Been down that road a few times. Takes a good product for me to ignore bad service.

You say you are anal, how about loading reversing bullet weights/case weights by tenths.... Had a guy show me all this and his theory, I don't even recall how it worked but it was anal to the max. Funny thing is he never beat me in a match with all that work.

Nothing wrong with prepping to the max. It is both the arrow and the Indian IMHO.

The good shooters number their brass and plot shots, and if they find that on the 2nd firing say #6 is a flier just like it was in the first, regardless weight etc... that case goes to practice brass.

The unfortunate thing is that in both XC and LR highpower shooting the quantity of ammo required will not allow me to be that anal.

Where as loading 10 rounds of hunting ammo, one can do that very easily.

I"m not going back to Hornady when its crunch time due to loose tips and weight variations, but like all, it does happen to all makes, I just got burned one time at a match with a new lot pretty bad. In fact they replaced all 3500 bullets as that lot was bad....Doesn't mean the next bad batch won't be Sierra or the like.

Jeff

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
OH NO ANOTHER VARIABLE!!! LOL I have not shot in many competitions, I take my shooting seriously and shoot every target as if it were going to kill me if I miss. Another one of my quirks, I do number my loads just so I know which one fails and then I check the case to see what if anything was bad. John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I only shoot long-range when I have to. That means if the landscape does not allow me to get closer. I find it more challenging and fun to get close up on the animal before I deliver the shot. It is quite a rush getting a moose on 15 meters before taking the shot. The closest I got last fall was 3-4 meters. One of the moose was standing 2 meters from me when I shot the second one following right behind it. It almost fell with it`s head in my lap. I can assure you that it was real adrenaling kick!

But when that`s said, I have nothing agains shooting animals at long ranges. But the rifle and the ammo must be suitable for the task, and the guy behind the rifle better put in some extra days on the range.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting_tips/hunsh_082106/index.html

"I'd bet most people would say that at some point hunting ceases to be hunting and becomes a clinical exercise in shooting. Where we draw the line is something each must answer for himself, but wherever that line is, it is determined primarily by distance. Most of us envision hunting as a contest between instinct and intelligence, but to actually be hunting it must be done at relatively close distances, where the hunter must employ skill and stealth to be successful. He must be aware of wind direction and that movement or noise at the wrong time can bring an abrupt end to the hunt. But when the quarry is so far away that scent, movement and noise (within reason, of course) are no longer factors, it then becomes purely a test of one's shooting skill and equipment. That's not an indictment, mind you, simply a statement of fact." - The Author

...it then becomes purely a test of one's shooting skill and equipment...NOT hunting!!!

Like the author, I believe we are all in the same fraternity, but the forum title should be changed from "Long Range Hunting" to "Long Range Shooting" for - what should be, fairly obvious reasons.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
why is it that folks who don't agree with it, think it shouldn't be done, its unethical. can't refrain from coming in and running the pie hole, if you think its so bad go troll another forum.
And quoting an article which you agree with doesn't make it right, just makes it an article you agree with. If I quoted an expert with a different point of view would it be right also?
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bushcraft,

Why do you come to the Long Range Hunting forum and suggest it is not hunting but shooting? Long range shooting is done during competition. Long range shooting occurs when I want to shoot at the gong 724 yards away. But the most long range shooting fun I ever had was shooting at rocks across a canyon at unknown distances. You need to learn some etiquet and how to use a dictionary.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ringman,

Not to call your reply out as being tragically and laughably silly or anything, but you really should consult a dictionary before you start slinging unfounded insults around about the non-use of same.

Just so you know, "etiquet" (as you've misspelled it...at least before you edit and correct said misspelling) is correctly spelled:

e-t-i-q-u-e-t-t-e

What of the following is so hard for you to understand and accept?

"...but to actually be [i]hunting it must be done at relatively close distances, where the hunter must employ skill and stealth to be successful. He must be aware of wind direction and that movement or noise at the wrong time can bring an abrupt end to the hunt. But when the quarry is so far away that scent, movement and noise (within reason, of course) are no longer factors, it then becomes purely a test of one's [u]shooting[/u] skill and equipment."[/i]

Since accuracy is of such paramount concern to you, why not at least characterize your activity more accurately?

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Ringman,

Not to call your reply out as being tragically and laughably silly or anything, but you really should consult a dictionary before you start slinging unfounded insults around about the non-use of same.

Just so you know, "etiquet" (as you've misspelled it...at least before you edit and correct said misspelling) is correctly spelled:

e-t-i-q-u-e-t-t-e

What of the following is so hard for you to understand and accept?

"...but to actually be [i]hunting it must be done at relatively close distances, where the hunter must employ skill and stealth to be successful. He must be aware of wind direction and that movement or noise at the wrong time can bring an abrupt end to the hunt. But when the quarry is so far away that scent, movement and noise (within reason, of course) are no longer factors, it then becomes purely a test of one's [u]shooting[/u] skill and equipment."[/i]

Since accuracy is of such paramount concern to you, why not at least characterize your activity more accurately?

He nailed it, you missed............. sick

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just another rag writer, bet he also wrote an article on what a jewel the rem 710 was
RR

(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ridge Runner,

Perhaps you'll recognize these moronic tidbits...

"...I'm mentaly drained trying to figure out why I couldn't get a shot, then here they come back, the doe, followed by the 8 point and 5 other bucks, more of the same, after the third range, and setup the 8 point finaly stood still long enough to get the scope on him, 475 yds, the 160 nosler left out at 3500 fps, doublelunged him and saw the 40 yd sprint to a pileup."

"last day of private land only antlerless season, I was setup believe it or not 15 yards from a 4 lane interstate, could see to about 600 yds, let several does walk at 400 and less, about 9:00 I saw a group walking right up the ridgeline accross from me, ranged the lead doe at 532, adjusted the scope, slid behind the rifle, at the report I saw the does offside shoulder colapse, she recoverd and got out of view. an hour later I finaly got to the spot she was standing at, she went maybe 20 yds"

GOOD GRIEF MAN...AN HOUR LATER?!?!? IT TOOK YOU AN HOUR TO WALK YOUR APPARENTLY FAT @SS AT MOST 552 YARDS!!!

WTF!!!

F---ING DISGRACEFUL!!!

GO AHEAD...SPEAK OUT LOUD AND PROUD ABOUT YOUR LONG RANGE SHOOTING SKILLS...BUT A HUNTER YOU ARE NOT!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well for one thing, were you there? do you have any idea what, where, I had to go to get there? of course ya don't but you run your piehole anyhow.
Oh and I'm fat? Man if you only realized just how stupid you made yourself look, you know nothing, absolutely nothing, what are you a PETA operative? Have you ever been hunting? What an idiot.
RR

(Rodney Atkins)
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.