Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
If anyone is interested in the performance of 6.5 Creedmoor in a short barrel, here are my results from a recent SAAM training course at FTW Ranch in Texas. This should also settle any concerns of using a bipod on a light, full length bedded rifle. The rifle was able to connect with first rounds from 100-800 in 100 yard increments using trued data from Ballistic AE and enviromental data from Kestrel.

Ammunition is factory loaded Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X. Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x24 (military only scope). All shooting on this range was done prone with a rather heavy forward load on the bipod and bean-bag or pack in the rear.

6.5 MILs for 800 yards with .8 MIL for a 6mph wind effect.

Lack of parallax correction on the compact scope was considered a hindrance beyond 600 but I did not have any problems connecting with a 12" plate at 800 on the first shot and three consecutive.

[Linked Image]

That is also my shot in the center of the truing target on the left. Three shots on round 12" target on the right.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tennessee; 11/30/17.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just about perfection IMHO....

Calculated MV?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Calculated in Texas at DA 4000 was 2610 fps.

Let me tell you, it works very well on game also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very very nice. Love that setup.

Now if only it had a thumbhole stock.

Tanner

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Very funny...

Along those same lines; As soon as I stood up from shooting that group on the 800 yard plate a guy says "that's a nice rifle, but can you get it with a heavier barrel?" I didn't really know how to respond.

I also took a large Axis buck at 300 yards and culled some aoudad between 75-451 yards. No one was complaining about velocity or barrel weight.

Last edited by Tennessee; 11/30/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tennessee

Tanner

Very funny...

Along those same lines; As soon as I stood up from shooting that group on the 800 yard plate a guy says "that's a nice rifle, but can you get it with a heavier barrel?" I didn't really know how to respond.

I also took a large Axis buck at 300 yards and culled some aoudad between 75-451 yards. No one was complaining about velocity or barrel weight.

Talk to me about bullet performance. I shot three deer with the 143 and am still on the fence..

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Everything fell on the spot except one audad that made it maybe 20 yards. Complete pass through on all. The axis did not have his internals completely fragged the way a BT does. I prefer that kind of trauma, but he did die where he was shot, so no complaints.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks!

I too prefer more trauma, but can't complain either because all mine died as well. The buck I shot didn't have an exit, but the does did.

BTW -- my NXS will be here Wednesday. I'm thinking I'll have the ultimate set up -- The Barrett and the NF both impress!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Just about perfection IMHO....

Calculated MV?

Just about....my 18" barrett fieldcraft is the only reason I wish my 7" TBAC was a 5" smile

My biggest problem is trying to decide if I should run with 147s at 2705 fps or 143s at 2725 fps from the little 18" barrel. Both shoot 3 into 3/4 or less....first world problems I know. wink

I do know the 143 ELDX whacks the heck out of caribou at 400+ on a couple of occasions and one grizzly bear much further than that. But that wasn't with my Barrett...just another 6.5.

Tennesse,

That setup right there is exactly why my wife's Kimber .308 Montana will be getting sold. Well that and she can put her TBAC 7" on it. wink Of course we are slumming it with a Nighforce SHV 3-10X42 rather than that schwanky NXS. wink Nice looking rig and nice shooting.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I would like to try that TBAC Ultra-5. This 7" has the .264 hole and it is QUIET.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to try that TBAC Ultra-5. This 7" has the .264 hole and it is QUIET.

I bet it is....I shoot mine with a 30 cal Ultra 7 and its plenty quiet, a correct sized Ultra 7 would be even mo betta!

Have you tried handloading for it yet? Not that one needs too as factory 143s obviously don't suck in the two 18" I have personally shot (including my own). But 2550 fps with a 143 is what the factory load gets me. If I can step up to the 147 and gain 150 fps in the process why not right? smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How much POI shift do you get between can and no can?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That’s very cool! I suspect I’ll own one someday!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Grand
How much POI shift do you get between can and no can?

I have never fired a single shot without the can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is straight up bad ass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

I bet it is....I shoot mine with a 30 cal Ultra 7 and its plenty quiet, a correct sized Ultra 7 would be even mo betta!

Have you tried handloading for it yet? Not that one needs too as factory 143s obviously don't suck in the two 18" I have personally shot (including my own). But 2550 fps with a 143 is what the factory load gets me. If I can step up to the 147 and gain 150 fps in the process why not right? smile

Yes, why not. smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TN, great report. Thanks very much. However, I've got to disagree with "should also settle any concerns of using a bipod on a light, full length bedded rifle.". I am in no way doubting your experience, however my experience is completely opposite, being 0-2 with NULA's. Maybe I was just extremely unfortunate? Maybe its like the Magnetospeed chronograph, on some rifles it affects POI and on some it doesnt.

I've got a Fieldcraft in the Creed. Never shot it from a bipod but will test this weekend and report back.

Regarding the heavier barrel, I know its hard to believe, but some of us prefer more weight. Give me a 6 lb rifle and 10 lb rifle, both of which have the same accuracy potential, and I shoot the 10 lb rifle better every time. More mass = more stable. For kicks I carried a 12 lb rifle that I get along with very very well on a moderately physical public land muley hunt a week or two ago. Thought I would hate it but not the case thanks to the Kifaru gun bearer. It will be in tow on the next such hunt. Got to find your balance based on the situation.

I would love for Barrett to make a sporter weight version.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tanner

Very funny...

Bless His Heart, Tennessee!

We know Gun Guys are inveterate pickets of nits, but it seems to me the folks from Murfreesboro have got a home run on their hands.

I needs one of those Fieldcraft Pocket Snipers!

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 12/01/17.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very nice Tennessee.

I have no experience with one, but I'm guessing the can is going to make balance very nice on that rig....forward and settling it down when aiming. Not like I don't have enough irons in the fire but I'd like to try a can on a shorty.

Out of curiosity, if someone has some factory 143eldx ammo, what OAL does Hornady load it to? Thanks

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ctsmith
TN, great report. Thanks very much. However, I've got to disagree with "should also settle any concerns of using a bipod on a light, full length bedded rifle.". I am in no way doubting your experience, however my experience is completely opposite, being 0-2 with NULA's. Maybe I was just extremely unfortunate? Maybe its like the Magnetospeed chronograph, on some rifles it affects POI and on some it doesnt.

I've got a Fieldcraft in the Creed. Never shot it from a bipod but will test this weekend and report back.

Regarding the heavier barrel, I know its hard to believe, but some of us prefer more weight. Give me a 6 lb rifle and 10 lb rifle, both of which have the same accuracy potential, and I shoot the 10 lb rifle better every time. More mass = more stable. For kicks I carried a 12 lb rifle that I get along with very very well on a moderately physical public land muley hunt a week or two ago. Thought I would hate it but not the case thanks to the Kifaru gun bearer. It will be in tow on the next such hunt. Got to find your balance based on the situation.

I would love for Barrett to make a sporter weight version.

I hear you. Noted on the sporter weight. There seems to be a lot of interest in a slightly heavier and longer barrel, at least for Creedmoor. It is also worth mentioning that the suppressor adds significant mass at the muzzle that produces that stabilizing effect, especially off-hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 993 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.