Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Tracks
The most famous version of the Bowie knife was designed by Jim Bowie and presented to Arkansas blacksmith James Black in the form of a carved wooden model in December of 1830. Black produced the knife ordered by Bowie, and at the same time created another based on Bowie's original design.

Nice, I happen to have a Bagwell Damascus Bowie in it's sheath right behind me on the couch, Bill measured me and built it to my body type/size, it's a spooky looking sombuck and it's 11-1/2" blade is razor sharp.

Trump Won!

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Horses, mules?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would be SOL! In most ways, pretty healthy, fairly athletic, at least close to average intelligence... but blind as a bat, without corrective lenses. Have “never” been able to read the “E” at the top of the chart. Maybe could have been a farmer! frown memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You could have been a Dairyman, had an old neighbor man when I was a kid blind as a bat, he had a nice dairy, nice cows [8 or 10] and seemed to get it all done with ease.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be home. But too much of that new fangled stuff folks would be using. Heck, some folks would even be using river water to run the bellows on the forge.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Chances are I wouldn't have survived all the childhood diseases I had to even see 10 years of age.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it either. Heck, I just made it past 5, as it was

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'd head back east. Knowing what I know now, I could probably invent light bulbs, breech loading rifles, internal combustion engines (maybe) and some other stuff, and get rich.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Since I didn't watch TV and read by flashlight under the covers, I won't need specs. 36 inch full stock rifle .54 caliber, pistol to match, flinters, extra flints, blankets, possibles, axe, knife, shovel, good wide brim hat. Wool britches and shirt. Mackinaw coat. A bunch of traps. Salt, Since it is 1820 tobacco. Bible. This is all packed in on 2 horses I hired so I don't have to take care of them. A squaw, maybe. Probably have companions for protection and help.

I grew up on the old Colorado History Museum dioramas that were carved during the depression. Scenes of trappers living in cabins in winter, Indian camps, the whole shebang. They had stools built in so we little guys could climb up to see. I still have most of them memorized. Now they are not all on display all the time, supposedly because they are not all accurate (politically correct?). The things are museum pieces in their own right.

I also remember the gun section, glass cases with both sides visible. And, as I remember, Jim Bridgers rifle in a different case with possibles. I remember one possible bag having a glass vial of cyanide the trapper could bite if captured by Indians. And a real headdress complete with scalp locks from the girls killed in eastern Colorado. I would have to look up the details on that.

In the Civil war display there was a Colt with balls visible in the chambers. I was too young and naive to really understand what I was looking at. Now I wonder if it was capped too.

The Western history has always fascinated me. I have to get back down to whatever they pass off as the history museum to see what has moved

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Horses, mules?

Both....

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, for starters, I would have been dead in the first few days of life due to an RH incompatibility. If somehow that didn't happen, I'd have died at age 3 from a strep infection. In fact, every member of my immediate family would have died before they'd reached breeding age from appendicitis, impacted wisdom teeth, pneumonia, measles, influenza, etc. The only member of my line not to have had life-threatening illnesses is Angus. He's 19. I'm the first one in my line for 3 generations that hasn't had an emergency appendectomy.

Putting that aside, I'm a German on one side and Welsh on the other. Germans back then generally had different motivations. Therefore, if I'd found myself west of the Mississippi, my first objective would have been to take in the sights and then go find a nice burgeoning German community like Cincinnati, Covington, or Dayton and get there as quick as I could. Along the way, I might stop in New Madrid, MO. KYHillChick's French/Indian mother's side was there in 1820. I might find a sturdy Acadian half-breed for a wife. Since her kin and mine were chummy back there in New Madrid, I might have been introduced to Henry Miller Shreve, who was running the Washington up and down the Mississippi and Ohio back in those days. He's kin too. I'd figure out a way to get a job in his steamboat operation, or at very least figure out how to get a free ride up river in style with my new wife for a honeymoon.

Since my grandfather picked Mt. Healthy Ohio as a place to hunker down, I'd look for land there. Back then it was called Mt. Pleasant. The old farmstead is still there. I'd pick up 300 acres near the banks of the West Fork and start to work being a good German farmer, and with what I profitted from the operation, I'd put into establishing a mill on the banks of the West Fork (later known as Mill Creek) and increasing my investments in steamboats and later railroads. I'd also start partying at the local Scheutzenfests, where I'd chum it up with the guys who would later build the insurance empires that dominate the local financial community-- then and now. The ground is good for a vineyard, so I'd work that angle too-- nothing like free wine to loosen tongues and get the scoop on ground floor investments. When I was fat and happy and had a monstrous pile of sturdy sons and daughters, I would arrange a trip for us all out West to take in the marvels and let my wife visit her kin.

By the time I died of gout and liver disease in the 1880's, I would have 100 grandchildren and the largest collection of German shooting irons in the county and trophies covering the interior of the house from the hunting trips out West, the North Woods, and the regular trips to visit the relatives in Germany.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Horses, mules?

Yes, delicious!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Me, I'm 35 years old. Selling all my chit for what I can get and be a trekkin' back to St Louie for some good food, good whiskey and good poontang. I've had enough of this rough neck crap to last a lifetime (which I've already exceeded). I think I'll just settle down right there in the middle the Ozarks. Truly, God's Country!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You know Bob, you ain't so bad,---------- fer a Texacian.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This time of year, the Anishanebek of Northwestern Ontario would have been spread very thinly, in small family groups, all across the Boreal Forest, on their traplines. Lots of dried fish and caribou as well as pemmican stored away. Travel right now during freeze up would have been tough and dangerous but soon dog sled and snowshoes would allow long distance travel.

I wonder though--how in hell, without a chain saw, did they put up enough firewood?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by hanco
Run down to Bass Pro shop, pick some cshit out.

I'd run to Cabela's in Thornton CO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not tough enough to be a 1800's trapper. Have you ever read Crow Killer, even the tough guys had to have a ton of luck on their side to make it to 30 years old. Tough life.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've got a buddy whose an MD and his comment on these types of conversations was always to never wish you were born before penicillin. Back then my people were watermen over on the Eastern Shore of MD. Seems like as good a way to make a living as any back in those days.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Me, I'm 35 years old. Selling all my chit for what I can get and be a trekkin' back to St Louie for some good food, good whiskey and good poontang. I've had enough of this rough neck crap to last a lifetime (which I've already exceeded). I think I'll just settle down right there in the middle the Ozarks. Truly, God's Country!

That is fairly close to what Jim Bridger did. Lived out his final years on the banks of the Missouri.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd been thinkin about how the folk 100 years down the road would think about my life in 1820.
Imagine what the folk will think of US in 2120....

FJB & FJT
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 27 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,767
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.