Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'd have ass-shot it with my trusty 600 Dinosaur and then dragged his dead carcass out a few days later with my trusty school bus yellow Uberlaunch...after a friend climbed down the mountain and hooked him up for me and right before a couple of suckers bought some trusts and donated their kidneys. Then I'd have went home and took some sexy pics of my old lady posing in a bikini and posted them before I climbed aboard my (donated) Harley trike and did a couple of donuts.

Beat me to it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a little tyke, my fam was making a drive through Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Mom got out of the car to film a moose with her 8mm camera. One of those handheld camera's with 3 lens built onto the front of the camera that you could twist to change focal lengths. So my dad yells at my mom that she's getting a bit too close to the moose. She pay's him no mind. Looking through the lens of one of those antique camera's, everything looks much further away. Anyway Dad climbs out of the car and starts walking toward her. Finally she turns around and screams. A bear climbed into the backseat of our car and took a package of potato chips out of my hand, as both my mother and father ran screaming and hollering toward the car. The bear scurried off with my bag of chips. My sister was alone in the front seat. Neither of us were frightened, just surprised, however no one exited the car again before leaving the park.

In the mid 1950's my parents bought the Evergreen Lodge in W. Yellowstone, MT. We had a bear that would come to our back door and beg for Orange soda pop. You'd hand the bear the opened pop bottle and it'd stand on it's hind legs, guzzle down the whole soda pop, then saunter off.

In those days we had to take our own trash to the local dump. There were always bears at the dump. My most vivid recollection was an albino bear we'd see there. White as snow. My dad would make molotov cocktails to scare the bears away so we could safely empty our trash.

The good ole days...

DMc : )

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
When I was a little tyke, my fam was making a drive through Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Mom got out of the car to film a moose with her 8mm camera. One of those handheld camera's with 3 lens built onto the front of the camera that you could twist to change focal lengths. So my dad yells at my mom that she's getting a bit too close to the moose. She pay's him no mind. Looking through the lens of one of those antique camera's, everything looks much further away. Anyway Dad climbs out of the car and starts walking toward her. Finally she turns around and screams. A bear climbed into the backseat of our car and took a package of potato chips out of my hand, as both my mother and father ran screaming and hollering toward the car. The bear scurried off with my bag of chips. My sister was alone in the front seat. Neither of us were frightened, just surprised, however no one exited the car again before leaving the park.

In the mid 1950's my parents bought the Evergreen Lodge in W. Yellowstone, MT. We had a bear that would come to our back door and beg for Orange soda pop. You'd hand the bear the opened pop bottle and it'd stand on it's hind legs, guzzle down the whole soda pop, then saunter off.

In those days we had to take our own trash to the local dump. There were always bears at the dump. My most vivid recollection was an albino bear we'd see there. White as snow. My dad would make molotov cocktails to scare the bears away so we could safely empty our trash.

The good ole days...

DMc : )

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
jeez
i thought this was another safariman thread.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bears that have no fear of man are going to be trouble sooner or later. Men that loose their fear of bears are f@&king idiots and should be prevented from reproducing provided Darwin doesn't step in first.

[Linked Image]

I don't mind bears around the house provided they are like booboo who beat feat a split second after I snapped this pic. But if there is a bear lingering around the neighborhood with no fear of man, I'll cap it as a DLP. Too many little kids in the neighborhood for me to do nothing.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 12/01/17.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
I would have done more to discourage the bear, and I certainly would have had a gun at the ready. I carry a G29 loaded with 200gr hardcast from DoubleTap when camping. It appears to be a young curious bear rather than aggressive. But by not chasing it away aggressively, the bear is losing it's fear of humans. Most of them are not attacking people, but are trying to get to food in packs or tents. That bear's encounter with the next human may not turn out so well.

Yep, what JMR said. If the bear, snake, Fox, bobcat, lion etc is close and not afraid, it soon will be or simply not be. Most all of my neighbors feel that way. Rule of the 3 “s” is applied equally to all critters that get too relaxed around us. A neighborhood “fatwa” has been issued on what we call the “Gimp,” a good sized bear with an injured hind leg. Experienced camp robber and has shown little fear when sighted.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bad encounter ahead. Just hope it's some jackass and not someone's kid/kids.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have my gun out and safety off. I would have made a lot of noise to get that sumbitch out of there.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WI. is full of bears and like DMc, we would go down to the dump to watch them at night back when they had good dumps instead of landfills. That one in the video is a typical camp raiding bear. We had one tear the top off our cooler and eat all the food for the weekend and drink all the soda. Never touched the beer though. That bear should be relocated, not shot. I had a big one follow me to my bow stand like a beagle on a rabbit and it gave me the feeling that I wasn't on the top of the food chain when it stood at the base of my tree and looked up at me. Later I remembered that I'd worn the same camo pants when I dressed out two bears that my buddies had shot the week before. I don't have much use for bears myself. Kind of like overgrown raccoons.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had one of those types of encounters down in the Glades years back. Curious bear on the other side of the screen door. Watched about 4-5 minutes and when he started to tear the door down a load of 00 buck flew over his head. Maybe he came away with the thought that screen doors are not to be fooled with. I came away with a different thought. Ho Li .......them critters are lightning quick when aroused. Had he charged rather than fled it is doubtful I would have got off a second shot.

I don't want to shoot a bear, period. I will not ever let one get that close to me again.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Hey boo-boo!! see dat pic a nic basket over their?

Gee yogi.... Mr ranger told us to leave picnic baskets alone.

F u c k that ranger boo-boo, let's eat!!!!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If it's bear season, that bear is next month's pepperoni. Not bear season? Put the fear of God in him and hope he learns to avoid the scary bipeds.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[quote=Windfall] That bear should be relocated, not shot.[quote]
Then, said bear becomes someone else's problem. Seen it. The NMG&F relocates many up into our part of the country - where they become local problems (Like reaching over fences into yards - reaching for toddlers)
BS - SSS

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
A bear that comfortable around people is likely to be a problem for someone.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not unless I wanted to eat it.

Above postings - pretty much all of it. Bear was curious and hesitant. About the time that nose hit the tent a good left jab (right holding the difference.... or reverse if one is wrong-handed smile ) would have solved the "problem" and possibly taught the bear not to mess with humans.

Actually I'd not have waited that long to discourage it - as I said- it was hesitant, ripe for any type aggressive countermeasure.

Last edited by las; 12/01/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Would you have shot this bear?

Maybe when I was 10, but my armament was limited along the lines of a spork and a cane pole. Over the years I've had similar encounters made more enjoyable by the presence of something that could end the bear if needed.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Not unless I wanted to eat it.

Above postings - pretty much all of it. Bear was curious and hesitant. About the time that nose hit the tent a good left jab (right holding the difference.... or reverse if one is wrong-handed smile ) would have solved the "problem" and possibly taught the bear not to mess with humans.

Actually I'd not have waited that long to discourage it - as I said- it was hesitant, ripe for any type aggressive countermeasure.

I am never putting anything cooled by my own bloodstream near a bear's mouth... a good loud holler would have sent that bear tearing ass down the mountain. Letting it build confidence like that was stupid.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Yep. Its learning it can do as it wishes with no consequences.

So las, no future danger to a woman in her period or to children with food in a tent?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Did anyone watch all 18 minutes or whatever of this maroon?

I agree with Steelhead. He wants to become one with nature...the natural way...fertilizer.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would have fired a shot next to him first if he reacted wrong I would drop him in his tracks.

The way he was acting I suspect he would have schit himself and learned a valuable lesson, But you never can tell for sure.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10Glocks, 270cowboy, 1234, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 15,719 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,908
Posts18,538,887
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.