Print Thread
Hop To
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hey fellas, any long term reports on your Predators regardless of caliber?

If there has been issues chronic or one, what have they been?

And to anyone's experience with multiple Predators; have you noticed any difference between current action and one that was produced a few years back?

Has the riflesmith that assembled your rifle(s) needed to fine tune the action before assembly? If so, what work was done?

I am trying to justify cost vs benefit compared to other more expensive actions available considering I dont shoot comps and around 40-60 rounds a year.

Thanks!

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 2 Predator actions. I’ve owned both from new. One is 11 years old and the other is 6 years old.

Both are on their 3rd barrel. Great actions and nothing to report apart from them being great actions. The smiths I’ve used haven’t had to make any adjustments to them (one of the main reasons for using a custom action in the first place). Nothing else to report. I know several of my shooting friends that also have them and nothing to report from them other than great actions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had bought one 2 years ago that was built on this year. It did not need anything to be square and true, good to go out of the box.

They recently changed ownership within the last year too. Guess we'll see if that affects them at all.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I own 4 that have been bought in the last 5-6 years. They are all incredibly accurate rifles. My gunsmith has had no complaints and had to do nothing to them. I like mine and wouldn't hesitate to by another.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They are square and most smiths can’t find center to save their azz. The BS about squaring or needing to re square came from bolt issue related to the PTG bolts. Now PTG and Dale Trout own the company so its hard to say but if they have the same guys making them they will make wonderful rifles.

Oh and I own 2.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Own 4 of the older ones. Never a problem

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Can some of you guys comment on smoothness of bolt travel and ease of bolt lift? I've only owned one Stiller TAC30 and it was no better than an average Rem 700 in these areas (and I've handled a few others that were similar). Not saying that's the most important thing in a rifle, but every other custom action I've owned were much much better. I wonder if the Predator is better.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by slm9s
Can some of you guys comment on smoothness of bolt travel and ease of bolt lift? I've only owned one Stiller TAC30 and it was no better than an average Rem 700 in these areas (and I've handled a few others that were similar). Not saying that's the most important thing in a rifle, but every other custom action I've owned were much much better. I wonder if the Predator is better.

Some are slicker than others a partner just put together a 7mm WM on a predator and it’s smooth as glass both of mine are far better than a average Remington. That said I have a 721 rem that I had the race ways recut and the action fit to an over sized PTG bolt that’s the cats azz. It would havesaved cash buying a Stiller but it was my now passed uncle’s life long hunting rifle and it needed a bunch of love to be to my standards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by slm9s

Some are slicker than others a partner just put together a 7mm WM on a predator and it’s smooth as glass both of mine are far better than a average Remington. That said I have a 721 rem that I had the race ways recut and the action fit to an over sized PTG bolt that’s the cats azz. It would havesaved cash buying a Stiller but it was my now passed uncle’s life long hunting rifle and it needed a bunch of love to be to my standards.

Well consider me impressed to hear that you have standards!

Here's to ya Freddy!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks higbean. You planning a big trip to pacnor again this year.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The new owner, Dale Trout is a perfectionist! Before buying Stiller Precision, Dale owned Thoroughbred Custom Rifles whose actions were built for Dale by Jerry Stiller. Dale is moving the Stiller operation to a new facility in Garland, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. It is a smart move on his part! I have found Dale Trout to know rifles and is more than fair in doing business with him. I do not have a Thoroughbred rifle, but I do have a Thoroughbred T-shirt. I have had 10-12 Stiller actions and the different gunsmiths I have used like the actions. Sure beats buying a Remington and after spending money on the Remington, well they are still a Remington.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 673, 10 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,885
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.