Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Tracks
Most on the wrong side of the big river.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Got no use for any of them.

Absolutely true....wasted much of my youth East of the Miss...

But... Did you have fun ???? wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Missouri humidity in the summertime was unbearable, moved to Indiana more than 35 yrs. ago. The climate in IN is more like NJ where I grew up, went to college in southern Colorado and would like to have remained there. The climate in CO suited me just fine, low humidity with moderate temps just about year 'round. I have seen tremendous growth in the Indianapolis area over the years, I live on the NE side and it is becoming more urbanized all the time. If I were to relocate in IN it would be to Brown Co.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
One of the few places I could be persuaded to move is the southwest corner of Colorado. Good climate and *no*body out there.

The last time I went my wife and I drove up on top of Colorado National Monument and it was like we owned the place. Just us and some desert Bighorn Sheep up there.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Been all over the world and back again quite a few times over, still love the Great Land. TS.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I don’t know if western Ky is this way but rural central northern and eastern Ky are a bit clannish. If you move in “from off” don’t expect to ever be absorbed into the local family societal structure. You will always be “from off”. It’s not that way in the cities or near them because they are melting pots.

In our area we have a lot of families that move in to live their “Laura Ingles Wilder” dream/fantasy life. They are gonna do the country thing. One particular family owned a good bit of property, an old farm. Every animal that they raised (tried to raise that is) died. In one instance they lost about 7 goats. It seems to me that a goat is pretty resilient but they offed em. They aren’t living that Little House on the Prarie fantasy anymore. Found out it was too much and too real in the work area.

It’s fairly comical and sad to watch. These groups seem to end up clumping together in their little sub-communities. They are a bit aghast that they aren’t accepted but they fail to realize that the people in these small communities have generational ties that go back well over a hundred years. The local families have sweat and bled together for all that time. You can’t just walk into that and say “I’m here now! Let’s be BFF’s”! You have to do a lot of bleeding and sweating before getting anywhere close to that.

Last edited by IZH27; 12/03/17.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by IZH27
I don’t know if western Ky is this way but rural central northern and eastern Ky are a bit clannish. If you move in “from off” don’t expect to ever be absorbed into the local family societal structure. You will always be “from off”. It’s not that way in the cities or near them because they are melting pots.

In our area we have a lot of families that move in to live their “Laura Ingles Wilder” dream/fantasy life. They are gonna do the country thing. One particular family owned a good bit of property, an old farm. Every animal that they raised (tried to raise that is) died. In one instance they lost about 7 goats. It seems to me that a goat is pretty resilient but they offed em. They aren’t living that Little House on the Prarie fantasy anymore. Found out it was too much and too real in the work area.

It’s fairly comical and sad to watch. These groups seem to end up clumping together in their little sub-communities. They are a bit aghast that they aren’t accepted but they fail to realize that the people in these small communities have generational ties that go back well over a hundred years. The local families have sweat and bled together for all that time. You can’t just walk into that and say “I’m here now! Let’s be BFF’s”! You have to do a lot of bleeding and sweating before getting anywhere close to that.

It helps if you don't tell them you're from Lexington.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As far as I am concerned, there are only a few places left worth living in, Wyoming and Montana are top of the list, I'm already here, I could try Alaska next, other than that, you can have the rest.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Of the states listed either Kentucky or Tennessee. I've encountered people from all of the listed states and those are the ones I would want to live around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Every close nit community the world over is that way. Even big cities aren't the "melting pots" they are claimed to be and take at least a couple years to form meaningful friendships and be accepted.

Plenty of people come to Alaska with the dream of being the next character in a bush Alaska show. As I've observed, unless you drop your fantasy as soon as you are faced with the reality of Alaska you are assured to find yourself in a nightmare. Or put another way, if you're not cut for long hours and low pay in the city, longer hours and no pay off the grid isn't or you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Think I'll stay right where i'm at

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by sgt217
You can find some nice country in Northern Wisconsin...In fact you can buy my 40 acres in a year or two...

Tell me more please.

What do you want to know T?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Lets start with where?

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
.....They are a bit aghast that they aren’t accepted but they fail to realize that the people in these small communities have generational ties that go back well over a hundred years. The local families have sweat and bled together for all that time. You can’t just walk into that and say “I’m here now! Let’s be BFF’s”! You have to do a lot of bleeding and sweating before getting anywhere close to that.

Mississippi is much the same way about outsiders moving in but it’s not so much the bleeding and sweating that makes it so. To tell the truth there’s not been of that going on for generations. The nature of the people in these rural areas has changed, you don’t have the hardscrabble farmers that work their butts off and raise a family on 160 acres. You can’t do that any more due to the nature of farming, everything is raised on giant factory farms nowadays. Pretty much all the quality young people that you need to keep communities viable move off in search of jobs so what you’re left in these rural areas today are the lazy, shiftless, & dopers. It wasn’t that way 50 years ago. My family has roots going back to 1831 in my area and we’ve produced doctors for the Mayo Clinic, executives for General Electric, and presidential aides but today those left in my area are mostly welfare rats & meth heads. Any kid with work ethic leaves & stays gone. I’m back because I have family land and a job as an airline pilot that lets me live anywhere, but most of my friends are work and military peers that don’t live around me, I don’t interact with most of the locals I grew up with because most of them still around here are pretty shady.

Not all areas are that way but I’ve seen a distinct shift in the type of people in rural areas and not for the better. Most around me are on some type of government assistance, EBT cards for groceries, unwed mothers, etc. A successful couple retiring to the country to get away from the rat race likely isn’t going to fit in with those communities. There has been a huge talent drain from the rural areas since the small farm lifestyle went away so the type of people living there has changed. The Norman Rockwell image of rural people isn’t reality in most places.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
.....They are a bit aghast that they aren’t accepted but they fail to realize that the people in these small communities have generational ties that go back well over a hundred years. The local families have sweat and bled together for all that time. You can’t just walk into that and say “I’m here now! Let’s be BFF’s”! You have to do a lot of bleeding and sweating before getting anywhere close to that.

Mississippi is much the same way about outsiders moving in but it’s not so much the bleeding and sweating that makes it so. To tell the truth there’s not been of that going on for generations. The nature of the people in these rural areas has changed, you don’t have the hardscrabble farmers that work their butts off and raise a family on 160 acres. You can’t do that any more due to the nature of farming, everything is raised on giant factory farms nowadays. Pretty much all the quality young people that you need to keep communities viable move off in search of jobs so what you’re left in these rural areas today are the lazy, shiftless, & dopers. It wasn’t that way 50 years ago. My family has roots going back to 1831 in my area and we’ve produced doctors for the Mayo Clinic, executives for General Electric, and presidential aides but today those left in my area are mostly welfare rats & meth heads. Any kid with work ethic leaves & stays gone. I’m back because I have family land and a job as an airline pilot that lets me live anywhere, but most of my friends are work and military peers that don’t live around me, I don’t interact with most of the locals I grew up with because most of them still around here are pretty shady.

Not all areas are that way but I’ve seen a distinct shift in the type of people in rural areas and not for the better. Most around me are on some type of government assistance, EBT cards for groceries, unwed mothers, etc. A successful couple retiring to the country to get away from the rat race likely isn’t going to fit in with those communities. There has been a huge talent drain from the rural areas since the small farm lifestyle went away so the type of people living there has changed. The Norman Rockwell image of rural people isn’t reality in most places.

That sadly nails any part of America that is in economic decline. Whether it's the factories that closed, the farms that have gone feral, small commercial fishing replaced with factory trollers, the list goes on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Move to Tennessee and help it regain the #1 ranking of the meth capitol in the US.

They've slipped to 2nd after Indiana stole it from them, and Missouri fell to 3rd after holding the honor for a decade.......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh, man. I thought we were in the top three up here.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oh, man. I thought we were in the top three up here.

I would love to move to Blaine County , just beware the property value will drop.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Suits me.

Property values are too damn high as it is.

You have to spend 60-80 thousand for a nicer house! Hard to to that if you are an indentured servant.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't go anywhere. We are taking care of the 3 year old and 1 year old grandkids all weekend.

In the greater Seattle area, it is nearly impossible to park a Ford F150.
Might as well try to park a moving van.

I am stuck here is parking hell. I am driving a BMW mini, the easiest car to park. It is still hard to open the doors with the parked cars so close together.

When i was in Tokyo in 1982, we had to prove we had a parking spot to get a permit to buy a car. Tolls on the freeway could be $100 to go 100 miles.... there were no traffic jams.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

That sadly nails any part of America that is in economic decline. Whether it's the factories that closed, the farms that have gone feral, small commercial fishing replaced with factory trollers, the list goes on.

A sad reality and doesn't happen just in the states either.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,287
Posts18,505,173
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.