Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
N2TRKYS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I only have experience with the Bell and Carlson. What's the difference between these two brands, besides the price? Is one better than the other? Looking to restock a Remington Model Seven, fwiw.

Thanks

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Most of the B&C stocks are good for what they cost, and a considerable upgrade from factory. The HS stocks I have and have had are a step above. The material, finish, and fit seem simply better overall.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is just my personal opinion that comes from experience with both, but I'd spend the extra $$ for an H-S Precision stock any day of the week. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's OK. Its my money I'm spending.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never held a HS that felt remotely like it was designed for my hands. Bulky, blocky, and heavy jump to mind. You couldn't pay me to use a HS due to the ergonomics alone.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I've never held a HS that felt remotely like it was designed for my hands. Bulky, blocky, and heavy jump to mind. You couldn't pay me to use a HS due to the ergonomics alone.

I couldn't agree more with this post. I've noticed this more in the sporter contours than the varmint/bull barrel contours. I have two (same) Remington short-actions. One has the B&C Ti stock while the other has an HS Precision stock. The ergonomics are night and day different with the B&C being the clear winner. It's a lighter, more-trim stock which fits the sporter contour rifle well. I also have had problems in the past with some of both brands being a drop-in fit. Either sanding on the stock or filing the stock screws down is par for the course.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've owned rifles with both stocks. At some point you'll become dissatisfied with them and upgrade to something top-of-the-line. I'd cut out the middle man and skip the whole B&C/HS phase.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I prefer the HS. I like the ergonomics and think it's finished better. If you are looking for slim and trim, it isn't HS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okie john
I've owned rifles with both stocks. At some point you'll become dissatisfied with them and upgrade to something top-of-the-line. I'd cut out the middle man and skip the whole B&C/HS phase.

Okie John

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with another B&C before an HS. However, I would agree with okie that you could be better off by simply skipping them all together, and look at something from McMillan, Banser, etc.

Last edited by 340boy; 12/06/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Real simple.

One company is owned by cock sucking scumbags that happily promote the trampling of several amendments, the bill of rights, the spirit of the declaration of Independence and the Constitution and apparently lack the decency to denounce the murder of an unarmed woman holding a baby.

The other company makes a decent for the money Alaskan Ti stock.

[bleep] H.S. precision. I'll duct tape my barrelled action to a broom stick first.
I hope Horiuchi takes one in the guts and suffers for a week til he bleeds out.

If you can afford it, buy a McMillan. If not the B&C is serviceable.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/06/17.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Discounting politics I'd go B&C over HS every time although neither are anywhere near my favorite on a hunting rifle. Maybe on a target or varmint rig. Both brands are too heavy, clunky and chunky. I can see no difference in quality and B&C is around $100 less expensive The tupperware stocks that come on budget rifles are every bit as good as either. I can't see spending $300-$400 for a lateral move or downgrade.

If I'm spending money for another stock McMillan is the easiest route for an upgrade. But Brown Precision and some of the others are very good too.

The difference is in the construction. B&C and HS-Precision both need metal inserts for their strength. The rest of the "fiberglass" stock is simply chopped fiberglass mixed with plastic and poured into a mold, Just like the tupperware stocks. The ones made without the metal insert are much more fragile than factory tupperware stocks.

The better synthetics are made by laminating layers of fiberglass cloth together to form the portion of the stock between the grip and past the recoil lug. The action area is cut our just like on a wood stock. This way you get strength without the weight of a metal insert or the bulk and chunkiness required to work around the metal.

It is like the difference between particle board and plywood. Both are made from wood products, but one is a lot stronger.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
N2TRKYS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I've always liked the feel and looks of the B&C, so I guess I'll just stick with it.

Thanks for the replies.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I will take an HS Precision sporter stock any day, twice on Sunday, over a B&C Alaskan stock. HS has a smaller, more open wrist. Much better fit and finish. Last B&C stock I purchased appeared to be a Friday afternoon before a holiday, or, Monday morning after a holiday stock. Out of the box, had a glob of paint that had the barreled action "teeter tottering" in the stock. Had to open up the bolt cut to close the bolt all the way after sanding out the paint glob. Took nearly an hour to open up the mag well to get BDL bottom metal and mag box to fit. B&C never again...

Add... While I like everything else the one new Nosler rifle that I handled, the stock felt very much like a B&C stock. Hence, would not consider a Nosler rifle unless the price was such that I could swap out the stock for an HS or Micky.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
They are both low end fiberglass stocks. Still better than most plastic stocks. I have a few of each and they’re serviceable, but not in the same league as my McMillans. If I didn’t myself in need of another mid priced stock, it will most likely be a B&C.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
Discounting politics I'd go B&C over HS every time although neither are anywhere near my favorite on a hunting rifle. Maybe on a target or varmint rig. Both brands are too heavy, clunky and chunky. I can see no difference in quality and B&C is around $100 less expensive The tupperware stocks that come on budget rifles are every bit as good as either. I can't see spending $300-$400 for a lateral move or downgrade.

The bedding block of a B&C extends into the buttstock, the HS does not. HS stocks especially their lightweight models feel a whole lot better then any B&C stock

If I'm spending money for another stock McMillan is the easiest route for an upgrade. But Brown Precision and some of the others are very good too.

The difference is in the construction. B&C and HS-Precision both need metal inserts for their strength. The rest of the "fiberglass" stock is simply chopped fiberglass mixed with plastic and poured into a mold, Just like the tupperware stocks. The ones made without the metal insert are much more fragile than factory tupperware stocks.

Have you seen how a Mcmillan is built? They have a mound of cut up fiberglass cloth mixed with resin on a table and they grab it by the handful and squeeze it into the action area and barrel inlet on a fiberglass shell, then it is machined.

The better synthetics are made by laminating layers of fiberglass cloth together to form the portion of the stock between the grip and past the recoil lug. The action area is cut our just like on a wood stock. This way you get strength without the weight of a metal insert or the bulk and chunkiness required to work around the metal.

It is like the difference between particle board and plywood. Both are made from wood products, but one is a lot stronger.

Link to the Mcmillan manufacturing process

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Yep. Just go straight to a McMillan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with skeen and okie john, unless you are talking about maybe a take-off B&C or H-S for cheap. The LTR handle is not too shabby.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
HS Precision's LTR stock (PST086) is one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have quite a few of each and prefer the B&C personally due to lighter weight. My HS stocks are much heavier than my B&C stocks and maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't been able to tell any quality difference in either. That said, I have to admit that the 8 or so B&Cs I'm currently running are the TIs or Alaskans, so it would be more fair to compare the Medalist to my HS Sporters(Even though I've heard the HS is still heavier). I'll also note that when opening channels on either for larger bbl contours, the material appears the same(chopped glass).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40

The difference is in the construction. B&C and HS-Precision both need metal inserts for their strength. The rest of the "fiberglass" stock
is simply chopped fiberglass mixed with plastic and poured into a mold, Just like the tupperware stocks.

My understanding is that both brands are described as 'hand lay -up' with composite fibres, epoxy and resins
in the case of BC, the polyurethane component is reinforced with milled (ie 'chopped') fibreglass

Milled fibre is used for reinforcing thermoset resins (Polyester, Epoxy, Phenolic) and thermoplastic resins.
Milled Fibers are recommended for anti-cracking in coating & gel-coating applications.

Ive heard before that the whole stock was made from such milled fibres, but is that true?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,843
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.