Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
joken2 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Should you drunkenly celebrate St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest? Can you brag about your ancestors having first-class seats on the Mayflower? Do you need to feel extra, extra bad about slavery? All these questions and more can be answered by sending a vial of your spit off to a company like Ancestry.com, 23andMe, or Living DNA ... in theory. But the reality of those businesses is a lot less science, and a lot more hustle. We talked with Morgan, who works for one of the major ancestry testing companies. He had some interesting things to say ...

Genetics experts from the University of Texas and the University of North Carolina have gone so far as to say that these companies are preying on people, because they don't truly have the information they need to pinpoint your origins on a map, and that it's not possible to trace unique ancestry that way. As they put it, "That's the beauty of this scam. The companies aren't scamming you. They're not giving you fraudulent information. They are giving you data, real data, and allowing you to scam yourself."

Morgan admitted to having changed people's results. "We only did this on rare occasions, when we knew they weren't using it as means to harm someone." A lot of this is done under the guise of having the tests line up with what the business already knows of the customer's expectations. It's easier to do that than to deal with an endless parade of clients who are intensely pissed off because they aren't as Dutch as they expected to be.

Genetic ancestry tests have caused a lot of problems, from cops being treated differently when they suddenly learn they're of mixed race to happy marriages ending when a test reveals hidden infidelities. So Morgan gets lots and lots of calls.

"The number one reason they call us after they get their results back is to contest something that exposed a family secret. Sometimes it was a parent not really being their parent, or an orphan who didn't know their history now finding out that they were half Native American this entire time and needing someone to talk to." Obviously, that kind of news would be shocking for anyone. But sometimes it goes well beyond mere shock.

"We had a Jewish man in Canada ask us to make it look like he was from Israel. His results showed him to be from Eastern Europe, and based on his last name, we said it was all but certain his ancestors were from Poland. Judging by his family history, they probably came over around WWII, for reasons you can probably imagine. But no, he said he was Jewish and wanted 'Eastern European' changed to the area Israel is in."

As you might guess, being Jewish doesn't work that way. There's a big difference between Jewish people who came from European ancestry and someone whose family has been living in the land currently occupied by Israel for thousands of years. "Israel is new ... and by saying he's from there by blood, we'd be saying he was Arab. We have changed things on occasion ... and we played along with him over the phone. 'Sure, we can change your ancestry to being from the near Middle East.' We gave him the option of being more from Egypt, more from Syria, or more Arab. He wasn't what you would call happy that those were his only options, and when operator asked him, 'Would you like to be Arab?' he slammed the phone down."

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm probably not going to worry about this today.

LOL
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
23and me, and maybe the other companies too, test mitocondrial(sp)DNA, which tells you only your mothers side of the family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you read about the identical triplets that had their DNA tested.... One of the sisters was way different from the other two. No way this can happen from identical triplets. These triplets were so alike that they could use each others fingerprints.

Just proof that it's a scam.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah my sister did that 23&me thing, they told her what she wanted to hear...

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
People baffle me

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
People baffle me

That's no schit.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm probably not going to worry about this today.

It’s looking more and more like these tests are BS. People have clandestinely sent in twin samples with false names and get back completely incomparable results.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As Billy Ed Hatfield says, "People is stupid".

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had my DNA tested because I was given a kit and thought it would be interesting. I've been trying to get my twin brother to send his in to see how we match up, but so far he has refused.

I got a notice from Ancestry DNA that they had located a close relative of mine that was a possible second cousin or first cousin once removed. She is actually a first cousin once removed. Neither of us knew the other was having the test done and she had no family history research done on the Ancestry web site. Something about the DNA test must work...

I don't necessarily agree with the areas of Europe that they say my ancestors are supposedly from because, mostly, I don't want to have a bunch of Irish blood. grin

Harry
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no privacy with the results either. Anybody can buy your results, any government entity can subpoena them.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm American......... this is all a buncha ethnic b.s. feel good about my genetic milkshake background shyt .

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Im a bit skeptical. Daughter and SIL just did it. Can't wait to see how her test compares to her older brother's test. This might get comical! Older son has already had one crazy azz woman try to contact him as being a "close cousin". Someone we never heard of. The latter is the part that keeps me from this stuff.

Btw, son's test pretty much was everything we had already speculated.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It would be interesting to see what we are.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
my 23&me test had me mostly british incl scotch-irish, then german, french, and scandinavian. for whatever reason, our family history has lot's of Native american blood, not so in the test, only a smidgeon. can't explain it, unless it got bred out along the way.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Gus
my 23&me test had me mostly british incl scotch-irish, then german, french, and scandinavian. for whatever reason, our family history has lot's of Native american blood, not so in the test, only a smidgeon. can't explain it, unless it got bred out along the way.

Sounds like your 100%American to me, ditch the euro sentimental connection. All of us should.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I know where I came from .... The United F u c k ing States of America...... 100% American!!!
Like our football don't really care for baseball, prefer pecan pie over apple pie, eat the f u c k outta hot dogs, drive a Ford, love my guns, and say what the f u c k i wanna say when i wanna say it. F u c k ing "A"!!!!😃😃😃 And the "A" stands for...... you guessed it! AMERICAN.

Last edited by renegade50; 12/13/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are there any alternative testing companies that can test for specifics?

I am adopted and harbor a suspicion that I am the product of an out-of-wedlock dalliance by my mother's uncle.

Is there a service that could specifically compare my DNA to my (non-adopted) sister's and address the likelihood that my biological father and her grandmother were siblings?

Last edited by GunReader; 12/13/17.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by renegade50
I know where I came from .... The United F u c k ing States of America...... 100% American!!!

Yup. Me too.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by renegade50

I remember when I was a little kid I asked my poor old Mamaw ( 3rd grade education. Picked cotton and raise kids including her siblings, hard work and bible about the limit of her schooling), I asked her where her folks came from. She thought for a moment and said "most of our folks were from Milam county." (Next county east of us wink ).

American is our best answer!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7887mm08, 44mc, Amos63, 3dtestify, 35, 8MMX57JS, 7 invisible), 974 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,207
Posts18,524,265
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.