Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a Ravin R9 crossbow since shoulders are shot. I made strange shots on 2 deer and one fell in 10 feet. The power is amazing and bone was broken without stopping the arrows. Deer were facing me and would not turn. Took the first at shoulder, neck. Second was in the neck and out the chest at the other side. When sighting in a center shot on a small bull showed the accuracy. I was told to never shoot two arrows at the same spot and it is true.
Expensive and I broke the bank. The darn thing is heavy and awkward so I put a long sling on. But you can pick a hair and hit it, the scope is amazing. This thing will do better then 3" at 100 yards.
I used the cheaper Cabela's crossbow heads and they sure work.
I got a deal on it at my shop, free backpack case worth $100. Dealer can't discount the bow but they never said a freebee was not allowed. This thing is the ultimate, the .458 of crossbows. It has a two pound trigger pull. A crank to pull it back with only 11 # of force. Unwind to de-cock. The scope adjusts for arrow velocity and lights red or green. Circles for each range to 100 yards.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
......my Lord

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tom264
......my Lord

ya

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds cool and a great way to stay in the archery game for sure! Good job!

The rest of the elitist can whine. I'll know where to send the cheese.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It has been an experience for sure. I made a few mistakes with it, first time I shot at a deer I failed to see branches right above me and they turned the arrow sideways to hit a tree. It sounded like bigfoot smashed a tree. Shattered the arrow and insert, broadhead and nock were all gone.
After the first kill I changed the head and used the same arrow for the next but I failed to check the insert, glue must have come loose. When the arrow slowed from the vanes in the deer the insert and head kept going, never found them so I had to make a new insert. At 400+ FPS the glue must be solid. Cost me money since you need to use only Ravin arrows, Cabela's points eased the pain. It has an anti dry fire that takes special nocks, the bow when cocked is only 6" axle to axle. I don't need to worry about limbs hitting stuff.
The R9 is 195# and a shade over 400 FPS, the R15 is 225# at 425 FPS but costs more yet the store can't keep them in the shop, they sold 2 the same day they came in. The scope adjusts for the velocity so the rings are right on, circles that are marked for yardage.
I seldom recommend things except the BFR revolvers, most accurate ever made and this thing, I make nothing from it but hope my experiences will aid anyone. I am very hard to please. I just wish I wasn't so stinking old, turned 80 this month.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
80 and in the woods you are doing well,,, I'm only 50 and my right shoulder is shot, had to turn my compound down to 50 pounds this year and that hurt some after just a couple of shots, looking at getting an xbow myself.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I already had my left shoulder rebuilt 3 years ago, now this winter my right shoulder has been rebuilt on dec.8th it was a horrible surgery ,but I hope too still draw and shoot a bow ,been drawn bows for over 50 years it will be hard for me if I have to quit archery. I tell myself just 1 more year in the mountains huntin elk with my son with my bow again so I do a lot of therapy . " we killed 2 elk last fall 2017 with our bows son got a huge 6x6 bull,me a nice tasty cow " if you have ever heard bull elk bugles close to you,those bugles almost blow your hat off when your close !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I love archery and shot most of my life. Competition and started deer hunting around 1960 and killed 3 the first year, Ohio, PA and MI. Friends in the clubs never seemed to get any. I used a ML for gun seasons and did well, tried shotguns and rifles too and did well. I met farmers and orchard owners with deer damage stamps so I could kill and get the meat processed free to give to food banks and churches. I had farms and orchards from Cleveland to the Ohio river and across the state. We even had houses to stay in when the old folks went south for the winter.
But archery was my favorite and the knowledge went to revolvers so that is what I use most now. Injuries led me to the crossbow. I had an older PSE Foxfire and it was accurate but sold it when I moved to WV since it was not legal yet. I got deer with it in Ohio. Then WV opened it for all. I had to buy one. I seen Ravin adds on TV and found one in the store. Same free arrow the Foxfire had but better. No pulling the string back by hand. Friend bought one that needs the rope and we did not use it right so we could not cock it. Had to go online to see and it is still hard.
Broken recurves led me to the compound, Jennings, but they still broke, graphite not used yet. I got free limbs that did not match so I built a machine to measure limbs, take to the store and pick a limb and had to make a machine for the store owner. It also works for long bows and recurves to tiller so I had to make another for a custom bow maker. One day a tube arrived in the mail, custom and very expensive bow. I can still shoot it.
I made the first lighted bow sight and it was stolen. I figured out how to tune a compound for any broad head in minutes, stolen too when I submitted for publication. I failed to get a patent or copyright. Easton used my method.
I also figured deer and fool them so I could be in the center of a herd, walk around and get to shoot one. I even made deer come to me. I have actually had deer 2' from me. The stories I could tell.
Loss of strength and injuries sure complicate things but don't give up my friends.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
It has been an experience for sure. I made a few mistakes with it, first time I shot at a deer I failed to see branches right above me and they turned the arrow sideways to hit a tree. It sounded like bigfoot smashed a tree. Shattered the arrow and insert, broadhead and nock were all gone.
After the first kill I changed the head and used the same arrow for the next but I failed to check the insert, glue must have come loose. When the arrow slowed from the vanes in the deer the insert and head kept going, never found them so I had to make a new insert. At 400+ FPS the glue must be solid. Cost me money since you need to use only Ravin arrows, Cabela's points eased the pain. It has an anti dry fire that takes special nocks, the bow when cocked is only 6" axle to axle. I don't need to worry about limbs hitting stuff.
The R9 is 195# and a shade over 400 FPS, the R15 is 225# at 425 FPS but costs more yet the store can't keep them in the shop, they sold 2 the same day they came in. The scope adjusts for the velocity so the rings are right on, circles that are marked for yardage.
I seldom recommend things except the BFR revolvers, most accurate ever made and this thing, I make nothing from it but hope my experiences will aid anyone. I am very hard to please. I just wish I wasn't so stinking old, turned 80 this month.

id love to be bow hunting still at 70 !! I remember the old jennings compounds

good inspiration for others

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Allen made the first compound, sort of sad with half round fiberglass limbs. Tom improved it but got sued over it. Bear came out with a few that were slower then a long bow. Wing made some super accurate compounds and some of the best recurves. PSE got into it but the first bows were just OK. PSE and Hoyt made some super bows. Still do. The improvements are astounding now but us old creeps can't do it anymore. It is so far advanced that a year old bow is useless and is worth nothing so my wall full of bows would not buy cheap booze. Now a custom long bow is worth more. Bows went into thousands and arrows are a years pay. I still need to make wood arrows but feathers are so expensive and hard to find, all I have are sticks. I have always made my own arrows and strings. Made Osage and hickory bows but to pull one now would make my head fall off.
We have memories and it is good enough. Life was good.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
well at least you had a successful hunt.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.