Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've never shot or even handled the 92 SF but am giving some thought to buying one. The price, around $500 new doesn't seem bad for a quality, full size handgun. There are some conflicting opinions on it with the biggest negative being the safety, seems nobody likes where it's located and how it works with the decocker. Based on the videos I'd have to agree. Other than that how do you like it overall.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There are some other options on the safety, such as a decocker-only model 92.

It's an old design, and there are lots of better choices nowadays. If you want a traditional double action auto, look at the CZ-75 P-01 decocker-only version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think for most people, the biggest actual negative would be the size of the grip and/or the position of the trigger relative to where your finger lands when you grip the handle the way you want to. If neither of those bother you you'll probably like the gun. The safety itself is not very ergonomic compared to many other guns, but where it is and how it works is just one of those things some people love to get the vapors over.

Last edited by RufusG; 12/29/17.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot it because I had to. I shot it well. But I never loved it.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to be the grammar Nazi but I think you mean 92FS. Anyway, I liked mine when I bought it and still do, with the objective view that obviously not everybody does. Here is a post I made after my first shooting session with one almost six years ago.

Beretta 92FS review

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Beretta 92 series is an amalgam of the Walther P38 mechanicals, the high capacity magazine, and the reliability of a Beretta. As for the safety decocker placement why is Beretta bitched at about it but not Walther, Ruger, S&W, etc? My only personal complaint is it’s overall size.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG
I think for most people, the biggest actual negative would be the size of the grip and/or the position of the trigger relative to where your finger lands when you grip the handle the way you want to. If neither of those bother you you'll probably like the gun. The safety itself is not very ergonomic compared to many other guns, but where it is and how it works is just one of those things some people love to get the vapors over.

This says it about as well as I could have..................If it fits your hand, you'll likely enjoy it, it's a soft shooting gun & reasonably accurate & easy to maintain.

I own 3 of them, all in slightly different versions, one of which is a Compact version & I like all 3 of them.

The compact carries just fine in an IWB, & actually the full size versions do OK as well, similar to a 1911 given a good holster.

It's a gun you can go to war with.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I've never shot or even handled the 92 SF but am giving some thought to buying one. The price, around $500 new doesn't seem bad for a quality, full size handgun. There are some conflicting opinions on it with the biggest negative being the safety, seems nobody likes where it's located and how it works with the decocker. Based on the videos I'd have to agree. Other than that how do you like it overall.

Simply put, one of the best 9mm's ever made. I don't have one anymore because I think the world has moved on, but I do own single actions, so...Hard to say whether the 92 or the CZ was the best conventional high cap. Both just excellent guns. I've owned two or three over the years and probably shot them as much as any 9. As to the size, I do not have large hands and I never had any problems managing the 92. There are better choices nowadays if concealment is a factor and you subscribe to the simplicity theory of gunfighting.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by RufusG

This says it about as well as I could have..................If it fits your hand, you'll likely enjoy it, it's a soft shooting gun & reasonably accurate & easy to maintain.

I own 3 of them, all in slightly different versions, one of which is a Compact version & I like all 3 of them.

The compact carries just fine in an IWB, & actually the full size versions do OK as well, similar to a 1911 given a good holster.

It's a gun you can go to war with.

MM

Well said, Sir.
Bob

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’m one whose hand they fit. I like the feel of the gun, the ones I’ve been issued have been completely reliable, and accurate enough for me to qualify expert with on both the standard army qual course and the MP course. Those who have fired the courses know this isn’t a big deal, other than to demonstrate it’s service accurate. The bad, I hate the DA trigger, and the transition to the SA trigger is awkward for me. I dislike the safety, much preferring that on the Taurus guns. They are light and carry well for such a big gun. I’ve often thought about getting one but haven’t done so. If you want it, go for it.

Old70

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 92Sf is one of the best pistols period. The only issue is you need a really big hand.
MM879

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

I happen to like the safety/decocker. Mine has become my favorite handgun

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A good functional pistol, like others it was one I was issued. Never warmed up to it. No idea why I just did not shoot one well. For those it works for it is a good pistol.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i first had a tuarus 92af and liked the gun but was offered way more then worth so i let it go bought the beretta 92 later i like gun shoots well very reliable

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the opinions, info and the review of the 92 FS.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bought mine 30+ years ago. Never have had a malfunction. It fits my hand well and is a natural pointer for me. It is not what I use for concealed EDC. As someone else earlier remarked, "you can go to war with it".

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I shot scores of M9s in military service, many thousands of rounds. I can’t remember a malfunction, even with an older and dirty gun I carried in combat.

I bought my issue gun when I retired, and it remains flawless and very accurate.

The gun is a little chunky, and not that great concealed unless you are bundled up.

The safety/decock lever has stirred controversy that I frankly have never understood. The gun was designed to be carried decocked with safety lever in fire position. This is no more dangerous than carrying a double action revolver which has no safety but is inherently and by design secure. This requirement in the guns military design traces to an Air Force requirement such that a downed Airman with a disabled arm (likely in high speed ejection) can use the gun without racking the slide.

While I’m not too shot with the terminal effectiveness of ball ammo, modern 9mm ammo with good expanding bullets has changed the game and rendered the 9mm quite effective in comparison with other calibers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love mine...And I have hands that are not huge...Safety has never been an issue...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sgt217
Love mine...And I have hands that are not huge...Safety has never been an issue...

There is one area only where the conventional 92 safety has been observed to be a potential serious problem, and that's the tendency for the safety to become activated unintentionally upon racking the slide. It's right there where most people grab the slide to rack it. Now you think you're carrying it with safety off, when it's actually on.

Of course, if you're used to the 1911 safety, it's operation in reverse could also be a problem all by itself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are excellent pistols.

The 'G' decocker variant solves the 92's safety quirks very nicely. In fact the only 9mm pistol I wish I'd kept (and I've had TWO of them!) was a 92G Centurion. I intend to replace it eventually with a 96 Centurion, upon which I will happily perform a G conversion if no G's are to be found when I'm ready to buy.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/31/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 6 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.