Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Awhile back I was in the Buda Texas Cabelas and bought aCabelas Commorative Model 70 supergrade featherweight in 7x57. I was old these were a special run of only 250 rifles. Several months after that I saw Winchester Model 70 supergrade featherweight in7x57 on one of the online auctions. I bid and won the auction. Both rifles are identical except for the Cabelas engrossed on the floor plate . Each has upgraded wood , free floated barrel,ebony fore end , and recessed target crown . Both are missing the shadow line cheek piece and are stamped featherweight.
I called Winchester and gave them the serial numbers for each rifle. Winchester informed me that both rifles were built in 2013 and both were part of special runs of 250 each commissioned by Cabelas. One run had the engraved floor plate and the other did not. Both seem to have the featherweight contour barrel but the wood is dense and heavy. Can anyone tell me what I have? Thanks in advance . Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You do not believe what Winchester told you???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I would trust Winchester more than a sales entity,but my questions are; why no shadowline cheek piece and are super grades stamped as such rather than Featherweights. Thanks for the prompt reply, it gave me food for thought. Have aHappy Safe and Prosperous New Year. Porsche73

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe that you have answered your own question -

"Winchester informed me that both rifles were built in 2013 and both were part of special runs of 250 each commissioned by Cabelas. One run had the engraved floor plate and the other did not."

Note where you say - "special runs commissioned by Cabelas" - do not be surprised that they are different from the standard Winchester Supergrade. If you could manage to find some ads from 2013 they may point out the differences but on the other hand - maybe not.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks Drover, Iwill call Winchester again when the holidays are over and my life returns to some semblance of normalcy.This may prove to be interesting besides these are the most beautiful factory rifles I own. Now to get to the range and see if they shoot as good as they look.. Porsche73

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a BACO Winchester Supergrade Featherweight 7x57 here on the 'Fire. It's essentially the same rifle as the Cabela's version. Had a Swaro Z3 mounted on it. Shoots ~ 1" with Norma factory 156 grain Oryx loads, a bit better with handloads using a 160 grain Woodleigh ahead of 4451, employing MD's recipe.

No complaints whatsoever. IMO, It's the best factory rifle I own. Were I to describe it in a single word, it would be "elegant".

Deciding whether to bring it on a June PG hunt. I have no concerns about it being an adequate PG rifle. My concern is that it might get banged up on the hunt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My BIL has one of these. It is, exactly as Winchester told you: a special run by Cabela's, although I didn't realize that the ones without the Cabela stamping was a Cabela commission as well. It is simply a Featherweight barreled action in a somewhat modified SG stock: no cheek piece and a narrower barrel channel to accommodate the lighter profile barrel. His has some of the prettiest wood on any that I've seen. The only thing I don't particularly like about it is the advertising on the floorplate, although that wouldn't keep me from having it in my safe. He paired it with a Leupold VX-3, 2.5-8x, and it handles and shoots very well. I don't think you'll be unhappy with them.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had one for awhile, also in 7x57mm. I couldn't say no to the closeout price at my local Cabelas. It was gorgeous and shot extremely well. I sold it to another member here. Wood was awesome. If it was a lefty I'd probably still have it. It's another one of those "I think I should have kept it" rifles.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 01/01/18.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Love those Super Grades! Congrats a neat find! I think it is a higher grade of the Black Walnut, though I can't say for sure. I just found a "regular" Mod 70 Featherweight push feed 7x57 and am working a deal on it. I thought I was "there" when I traded for a Mod 700 Classic 7x57, but NOOOO...seems I just can't get the Wisner Mod 70 type wing safety/bolt end whatever settled down! Its "OK", but have spent a lot of dollars so far, and it still isn't what it is supposed to be. It has been disassembled several times, fitted/refitted, smoothed, polished (it has a Timney trigger too!) and "sometimes" I get a hard bolt lift (on an empty rifle, just working bolt/snapping in) and sometimes mid position doesn't work right. Anyhow, it all got sold a week ago! I am "severe" when it comes to dealing with aggravating rifles! ha. BUT, I was OK since the Mod 70 FWT is the other of "my two favorite rifles", AND I wanted a 7x57 dag nabbit! I found just what I was looking for a few days ago...so now....I did see a couple of Supergrade Mod 70s ( Sporter & 7x57) with beautiful stocks/finish but (a) having owned a Supergrade 30-06 before, it was far too pretty to enjoy myself hunting with it and (b) the price was just too much for my budget and far more than what I would spend for a range rifle. Nope, I'm satisfied...I think....:)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Those supergrades with the featherweight barrel are very nice, as are the JOC tributes. Everything Ive read indicates you are looking at 9lbs once scoped. Just too heavy for my tastes, but would be a nice stand gun. I really wish WW would ditch the current Fwt stock and give us something like the SG just trimmed down, no crossbolts etc.

edit- for those who own them, what do they weigh?

Last edited by TomM1; 01/01/18.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You have a:

Cabelas Commorative Model 70 supergrade featherweight in 7x57. I was old these were a special run of only 250 rifles.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RGK
I had one for awhile, also in 7x57mm. I couldn't say no to the closeout price at my local Cabelas. It was gorgeous and shot extremely well. I sold it to another member here. Wood was awesome. If it was a lefty I'd probably still have it. It's another one of those "I think I should have kept it" rifles.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I could hunt with that rifle for the rest of my life!!

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I could hunt with that rifle for the rest of my life!!

Believe me, I thought about it.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 01/01/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How’d I miss that one!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TomM1

Not a SG, but my 7x57 Fwt from the 2013 run goes 6.82 lbs bare, 7.58 with Leup 6x36 in talley ltwts.

Last edited by Savuti; 01/02/18.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by TomM1

Not a SG, but my 7x57 Fwt from the 2013 run goes 6.82 lbs bare, 7.58 with Leup 6x36 in talley ltwts.

Thats not bad, about where my Pre-64 Fwt is. Do these have steel bottom metal and grip cap?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Magnet sticks to floor plate, but not to TG or grip cap.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You have a:

Cabelas Commorative Model 70 supergrade featherweight in 7x57. I was old these were a special run of only 250 rifles.

lol that's right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Oh wow... 😎

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You have a:

Wonder how they planned the serial numbers because my Cabelas Supergrade 7x57 has a number slightly higher than 250.
Mine , being the last one available, was marked down $1000 over the original prices so it was time to buy.
They also at the time, had 5 in 257 Roberts for the more expensive model with the gold inlays marked down which I posted here and they went within a day.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (Akhutr, 35, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,876
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.