Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just bought these two uppers. Just for fun which do you guys predict will shoot the best. Both are 1/8.

The Larue will be in a Larue lower with their MBT trigger and the White Oak will be in a Mega lower with a Giessele SSA-E trigger.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 01/02/18.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot depends on how far you go in optimizing loads for them & getting to what each of them may prefer & how good & consistent of a shooter you are.

If I had to pick it would be the WOA................I have an 18" SPR barrel on one of my rifles & it has shot a .600" MOA, 10 shot group; but I can't do that with every 10 shot group, so maybe the gun is better than I am, I dunno, but it's damn good at any rate.

MM

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll say LaRue cause my PredatAR light weight barrel is a shooter and the Stealth is supposed to be even better. WOA is more than likely a Wilson blank which is good but not the best. Just be sure and do multiple 10 shot groups with both and be aware you have 2 uppers that will likely outshoot most shooters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a toss up, both have good quality button rifled barrels. Get a few different kinds of match ammo and see.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wilson if set up right is a sight better than I thought they'd ever be. But a WOA with a Shilen... I think that would beat a La Rue hands down barely.

IMHO I"d say both would be the same overall in quality/group etc... and one to be better than the other would have to be a sample of 10 of each or so.

I'd bet that the cost of the WOA would be less than having to pay for the La Rue name, but I don't know that for sure. But you don't get free armadillo eggs with the WOA. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hands down, barely? LOL

The price of the LaRue name is $225 but he runs sales on them for a lot less than that...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good to know they run sales. I don't think I"ve seen a WOA sale ever that I can recall. John used to just set what he felt was a fair price and that was that. No eggs included.

Ain't no flies on La Rue. Hands down barely. LOL

Happy New Year!!!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
WOA had a sale over Thanksgiving and Xmas on a few things. SPR barrels $80 off among other things. You need to get on the email list.

My money would be on the WOA. Their Krieger barrels I have are all sub-1/2 MOA and the Wilsons will go under 3/4 pretty easily. Never hear of one that wouldn't shoot lights out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gzig5
WOA had a sale over Thanksgiving and Xmas on a few things. SPR barrels $80 off among other things. You need to get on the email list.

Yep, and besides that, they are some of the easiest & nicest people in the business to deal with.

Actually, I think the OP bought complete uppers from both companies, not just barrels.

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Yep, and besides that, they are some of the easiest & nicest people in the business to deal with.

Actually, I think the OP bought complete uppers from both companies, not just barrels.

MM

Yes, they are complete uppers from each.

Liberalism is a cancer
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

My money would be on the WOA. Their Krieger barrels I have are all sub-1/2 MOA and the Wilsons will go under 3/4 pretty easily. Never hear of one that wouldn't shoot lights out.

The couple of La Rue barrels I"ve shot on his guns that friends own, have been awful solid 3/4 too, but lots of that can depend on ammo and barrel combos and shooter ability. I am not a fan of his barrel brand at all. Never having been impressed with Lothar barrels at all, but they hand pick or did last I heard and send back a decent percentage that were not good enough. I've spent a lot on Lothar on 2 barrels years ago... neither was any better than a good Wilson and that aggravated me. LOL.

Dixie what barrel on the WOA?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rost495

The couple of La Rue barrels I"ve shot on his guns that friends own, have been awful solid 3/4 too, but lots of that can depend on ammo and barrel combos and shooter ability. I am not a fan of his barrel brand at all. Never having been impressed with Lothar barrels at all, but they hand pick or did last I heard and send back a decent percentage that were not good enough. I've spent a lot on Lothar on 2 barrels years ago... neither was any better than a good Wilson and that aggravated me. LOL.

18" Stainless SPR 1/8

Liberalism is a cancer
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rost495

I am not a fan of his barrel brand at all. Never having been impressed with Lothar barrels at all, but they hand pick or did last I heard and send back a decent percentage that were not good enough. I've spent a lot on Lothar on 2 barrels years ago... neither was any better than a good Wilson and that aggravated me. LOL.

Larue is not using LW barrels. They make their own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Larue is not using LW barrels. They make their own.

From bulk round stock? Drilling, reaming, rifling?

When did they start?

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yes, when did they start and what kind?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its been a few years back when he first started doing his own. LaRue has not confirmed any details as to their rifling process but most assume its button.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.