Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Teams should be judged by what they actually do, not what they look like they should be able to do.

Strength of schedule is what killed any chance of UCF making it to the playoffs. The highest ranked team they played in the regular season was (20) Memphis and it took double overtime to beat them. UCF's schedule was not very impressive.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Shortmag

Teams should be judged by what they actually do, not what they look like they should be able to do.

Strength of schedule is what killed any chance of UCF making it to the playoffs. The highest ranked team they played in the regular season was (20) Memphis and it took double overtime to beat them. UCF's schedule was not very impressive.

link to Sagarin ratings...Look at SOS for all 4 teams that played yesterday

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I believe they beat a top 10 team just yesterday. I see no reason they couldn't beat Alabama or Georgia as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
UCF National Championship Argument...

They don't have an argument & they are not deserving.....................

The BCS selection committee said so.

And even further, they are not in the SEC, so they can never really be considered "deserving" along with all the other non-SEC schools.

Just the facts.

MM

You do realize that the SEC has won a grand total of one NC since 2013, the ACC has 2 and Big10 has 1. How many SEC teams won their bowl games? That's the FACTS. That is recent history. The Fact is the SEC has 3 good teams which managed to beat each other this year. The rest of the conference is garbage and have done nothing in recent history . The Fact is Alabama did not even win their conference.

Come now, my good man; do you not recognize sarcasm & TIC comments when they hit you in the face?

grin

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I believe they beat a top 10 team just yesterday. I see no reason they couldn't beat Alabama or Georgia as well.

Yep, after the playoffs were already determined 2 weeks previous. I agree they are a good team but just making a point based on the current (flawed) system in place now.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
UCF National Championship Argument...

They don't have an argument & they are not deserving.....................

The BCS selection committee said so.

And even further, they are not in the SEC, so they can never really be considered "deserving" along with all the other non-SEC schools.

Just the facts.

MM

You do realize that the SEC has won a grand total of one NC since 2013, the ACC has 2 and Big10 has 1. How many SEC teams won their bowl games? That's the FACTS. That is recent history. The Fact is the SEC has 3 good teams which managed to beat each other this year. The rest of the conference is garbage and have done nothing in recent history . The Fact is Alabama did not even win their conference.

Come now, my good man; do you not recognize sarcasm & TIC comments when they hit you in the face?

grin

MM

My Apologies and I thought I had sarcasm down pat grin The thing is there are any SEC homers that say the same thing year after year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This years playoff legitimacy was comprimised by allowing Alabama to be a participant. UCF should have been matched against Clemson in the Sugar Bowl.

I can see why others feel as they do about the SEC. Again I say Alabama had no business participating in the championship playoff.

G

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
This years playoff legitimacy was comprimised by allowing Alabama to be a participant. UCF should have been matched against Clemson in the Sugar Bowl.

I can see why others feel as they do about the SEC. Again I say Alabama had no business participating in the championship playoff.

G

I always knew there was something I liked about you GeoW laugh

Cheers

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I think the folks saying on conference champs should play in playoffs for national championship are against the SEC.

2-non SEC teams had s chance at the championship yesterday. And came up short.

Side note. Saban is 11-0 vs his former Asst coaches.

UCF beat Auburn. Auburn beat the two best teams in the SEC when both were ranked #1 in the nation. That in itself has to give UCF a bit of credence to it's claim.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G

I always knew there was something I liked about you GeoW laugh

Cheers

MM

MM, I calls em like I sees em! 👍

Geo

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

G

Last year's was as well since Ohio State was allowed in.

It needs to be more than 4 teams

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

Interesting that you post this, if you notice Wisconsin had better strength of schedule AND 1 more win than 'Bama(AFTER you figure Clemson and Miami in which would have closed the gap a bit), since conference championships don't matter(according to the committee), if Wisconsin would have skipped the Big Ten Championship game they would have been in, right?

That is the standard putting in non champs sets, it devalues the regular season and makes the Championship games a pointless risk with no tangible reward.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Now Saban is complaining about having just one week to prepare for the Championship Game. Alabama never travels anywhere to play a game, seemingly all their big games are at Home, Georgia Dome or the Sugar Bowl. Oh and they played that powerhouse Mercer to prepare for Auburn.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Interesting that you post this, if you notice Wisconsin had better strength of schedule AND 1 more win than 'Bama(AFTER you figure Clemson and Miami in which would have closed the gap a bit), since conference championships don't matter(according to the committee), if Wisconsin would have skipped the Big Ten Championship game they would have been in, right?

That is the standard putting in non champs sets, it devalues the regular season and makes the Championship games a pointless risk with no tangible reward.

Correct.. if you notice with the exception of Auburn, most SEC teams have pansy schedules.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nearly every time an undefeated mid-major team has met a P5 team in a bowl game, the mid-major has won the game:

2017UCF Beats #7 Auburn (Who has beat both the teams in the "title" game)

2004, Utah Beats Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl (Where the BCS pairs a great top 5 team against an unranked Pitt who got a bid because they were a conference champion - system rigged for P5)

2006 Boise State Beats #3 Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl

2008 Boise State beats #3TCU in the Sugar Bowl (In a spectacular bit of trickery by the BCS, pairing two top 5 mid-majors so they couldn't play a P5 team)

2009 Utah Beats #3 Alabama The Sugar Bowl

2010 TCU beats #4 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

All of those except 2017 occurred in BCS times, when at least a mid-major could "Play their way in" to the BCS (but not actually given a chance to win the title) In 2017? Not a rule exists to allow a mid-major to play in the Playoffs.

The rigged system hurts recruiting of mid-majors, because they P5 schools can simply say "You'll never play for a national title if you go to a mid-major school". And they'll be right.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Correct.. if you notice with the exception of Auburn, most SEC teams have pansy schedules.

You do realize Auburn and Alabama play pretty much the same schedule don't you? Auburn's yearly non-divisional SEC opponent is Georgia. Alabama's is Tennessee. That never changes. This year Auburn's rotating non-divisional SEC opponent was Missouri. Alabama's was Vanderbilt. The rest of their regular season SEC opponents were the same, that never changes either.

Auburn played Clemson this year. Alabama played Florida St. Not Bama's fault FSU sucked without their starting QB (which Bama played against and on a natural field). But then again so did Clemson when Kelly Bryant went down....Syracuse game!

Both teams played Mercer. Auburn played Georgia Southern and ULM. Alabama played Fresno State and Colorado State.

Auburn's 2017 Schedule.
Georgia Southern
at Clemson
Mercer
at Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
at LSU
at Arkansas
at Texas A&M
Georgia
ULM
Alabama

Alabama's 2017 Schedule.
Florida State in Atlanta.
Fresno State
Colorado State
at Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
at Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
at Mississippi
Mercer
at Auburn

Auburn's schedule was soooo much harder then Alabama's..... cry

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by NYH1

You do realize Auburn and Alabama play pretty much the same schedule don't you? Auburn's yearly non-divisional SEC opponent is Georgia. Alabama's is Tennessee. That never changes. This year Auburn's rotating non-divisional SEC opponent was Missouri. Alabama's was Vanderbilt. The rest of their regular season SEC opponents were the same, that never changes either.

Auburn played Clemson this year. Alabama played Florida St. Not Bama's fault FSU sucked without their starting QB (which Bama played against and on a natural field). But then again so did Clemson when Kelly Bryant went down....Syracuse game!

Both teams played Mercer. Auburn played Georgia Southern and ULM. Alabama played Fresno State and Colorado State.

Auburn's 2017 Schedule.
Georgia Southern
at Clemson
Mercer
at Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
at LSU
at Arkansas
at Texas A&M
Georgia
ULM
Alabama

Alabama's 2017 Schedule.
Fresno State
Colorado State
at Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
at Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
at Mississippi
Mercer
at Auburn

NYH1.

Glad we are in agreement that without a Conference Championship, the resume just isn't there for 'Bama in the playoffs.

Also good enough of you to point out that despite some costly injuries Clemson managed to win the ACC and make the playoffs.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Look up Auburn and Alabamas SOS

Alabama FSU was played on Field Turf

Auburn's 2017 Schedule.
Georgia Southern
at Clemson
Mercer
at Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
at LSU
at Arkansas
at Texas A&M
Georgia
ULM
Alabama

Alabama's 2017 Schedule.
Fresno State
Colorado State
at Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
at Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
at Mississippi
Mercer
at Auburn

NYH1.

Alabama plays weaklings and never goes more then 2 states east or north of them for a game. That is a fact..WIth one month Saban can game plan with his shadow coaching staff and beat most everyone . Give him a week and he cries like a baby. I LOL'd when he was eliminated from the conference game by Auburn and cried like a baby and stamped his widdle feet.

link to Sabans crying

Before Saban only in Alabama would one find a Tide Fan. Amazing how many have jumped on the Bandwagon since then.

Auburn's 2017 Schedule.
Georgia Southern
at Clemson
Mercer
at Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
at LSU
at Arkansas
at Texas A&M
Georgia
ULM
Alabama

Alabama's 2017 Schedule.
Fresno State
Colorado State
at Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
at Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
at Mississippi
Mercer
at Auburn

NYH1.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Auburn's 2017 Schedule.
Georgia Southern
at Clemson
Mercer
at Missouri
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
at LSU
at Arkansas
at Texas A&M
Georgia
ULM
Alabama

Alabama's 2017 Schedule.
Fresno State
Colorado State
at Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
at Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
at Mississippi
Mercer
at Auburn

NYH1.

Glad we are in agreement that without a Conference Championship, the resume just isn't there for 'Bama in the playoffs.

Also good enough of you to point out that despite some costly injuries Clemson managed to win the ACC and make the playoffs.

Actually Clemson has avoided the injury bug quite nicely for about 3 years now. They didn';t lose 3 receivers, astarting QB and 4 OL for the year like FSU did. Only thing that was a positive this year was the Bowl game and the elimination of one of the most ovverated football coaches ever. I will eternally be grateful to Texas ATM to have taken him off our hands.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yep BAMA is a total joke, maybe they should go to Division 2. Hilarious!

No one was bitching about their number 1 status the entire season. Their greatest sin was losing their last game instead of their first. And every team plays the Sisters of the Poor in every schedule out there.

SEC is the top conference and that is a fact for one reason - MONEY! I'll betcha they generate the most, have the largest viewership/tickets sold, advertiser support, best recruiting picks, etc. etc., It's the cash cow that matters, it's no longer the love for the game.

The system is broken and still sucks. You'll need 8 team or even better a 16 team play off to fix things. The only way to justly determine the outcome is on the field, so save your bitching about the assshats that organize it every year instead.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.