Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Prayers sent that he makes it back OK for good.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
first thread i've read in a long time that had good useful advise, tell your son thank you for his service Mike.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like you've already reconciled then. Let the 243 go and enjoy your time together. Thank him for risking his life to keep my Family's safe.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
first thread i've read in a long time that had good useful advise, tell your son thank you for his service.

Agreed. Thanks to all!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mike,

Good on you for looking for some perspective from this crew.

Smokepole and Mac come closest to the mark in my view.

You seem like a smart guy so you probably already know this, but I guarantee you that after the first comms with him post taking fire from those heathens, you will never think of that .243 again.

You will simply pray every day that he comes back in the best shape possible.

Trust me on this.

Good luck to your son.

Duty, Honor, Country
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
My son crossed the border out of Kuwait into Iraq at about 2 oclock in the morning on the night the war started. My self i would just forget about that 243. Trust me you will have other things to think about. I know.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If this is all you have to worry about in life....

Who gives a [bleep].

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder if the OP has ever sold one a rifle he now wishes he hadn't? I suppose his son may have just done it for his first time.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I wonder if the OP has ever sold one a rifle he now wishes he hadn't? I suppose his son may have just done it for his first time.

I think I can answer with a conclusive YES. laugh

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Could be that guns are not all that important to him.

I have a friend who gave his son in law a very special rifle. Son in law trashed it. Meant about as much to him a a new claw hammer.

Not saying that is the case with your son, just an example of things meaning more to us than someone else.

Could be that there are other ways of going about spending time together.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by TRnCO

I think I can answer with a conclusive YES. laugh

I think we all have. I know I made plenty of mistakes when I was young, and made more when I am not so young. He will grow up fast and it sounds like he is a position to mature rapidly. Love him with all your heart and enjoy the time you have together.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
so much good advice in this thread. Unfortunate about the rifle, but your son is more important, so enjoy your son's visit,

My son left today for his AIT school, so please thank him from me for his sevice.

Sincerely, Keith

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
so much good advice in this thread. Unfortunate about the rifle, but your son is more important, so enjoy your son's visit,

My son left today for his AIT school, so please thank him from me for his sevice.

Sincerely, Keith
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Or just find out who has it and buy it back at a premium, and give it to him again when he returns.

Yep, track that gun down & make him an offer he can't refuse....then keep it in your closet till the son is home for good smile

i like that idea, !

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
He was likely afraid to ask for money and more afraid to tell you he sold it. Now's not the time to bang on him for it. He wants his final time at home for a while to be good memories. I offer this advice as a father who has a son who deployed in 2014.

Thank you. That's the kind of thing I need to hear.

EXACTAMUNDO...move on...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To lay the framework my son is being deployed to Afghanistan in February.

Your son is being deployed to that hellhole and you're worried about a fuc king gun?

Priorities bro...

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nothing too it Man, it's a rifle, shake your Son's hand and have a drink with him before he leaves and pray like hell you get to do that again on his return trip home. smile

Trump Won!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It's a gun. Aint a person here that sold one and wished they didn't. You may never see him again. Who cares about the gun. Tomorrow my daughter leaves to live in Cairo Egypt, actually New Cairo. She has taught english for six months at an American owned school . The kids are mostly from parents that work for oil industry, American military and the American Embassy, I think. There are a lot of Americans there non the less. Many are Egyptian kids there though. I will drop her off at the airport tomorrow, and am well aware there is a chance although a small chance I wont ever see her again.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please tell your son I am in his debt for his service, and pass along my thanks, as well. You should be very, very proud of this young man.

Then, may I suggest you take just one more step back for a little more perspective?

Your son is coming to you to spend the last bit of time before his deployment with you. What a blessing! Have you asked him what HE would like to do? Have you thought how you might show him how much this gesture means to you? What would you like him to have as a memory of your relationship while he is serving? Does he want to go to the range, or do YOU want him to go to the range. Is it about him, or is it about you?

What he does may not be what you would do, or what you would like him to do, but it is HIS life now, to live HIS way. How would it be to get the know the man he is becoming during this visit?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike74,

There is little I can add to what many others have said. I will share this:

My grown children have made many choices and decisions since leaving our home. Some of those choices were ones that my wife and I were definitely not happy about. We remind ourselves that we raised them the best we could, and now they are adults and responsible for their own lives and decisions. "Their lives, their choices, and their consequences". All you can do is raise them. Then it is up to them.

My wife has a tendency of getting too worried and emotional, sometimes, about something that is going on in one of the kid's lives. I remind her that it is not our problem. They are both married (one divorced) with kids of their own now. Overall they are doing fine. We are glad to offer advice when asked, but otherwise we try to treat them as responsible adults and not like our "children". Their tastes are different then ours. Some of the gifts that we gave them, things that were meaningful to us, were not appreciated by them. As an example, we have some antique furniture that has been in the family for generations. But the young people these days only want "new" stuff. They don't like the antique furniture at all. That fact is a concern for my wife and I. It is what it is.

You said, "Well I know he wants to shoot my 45-70. He even bought his own box of ammo he wants to try in it. I only use 405 grains and he wants to see what 300 grains are like. So shooting we will go. He's bringing a new Bergara .308 he wants me to try and I'll have the Henry .22 lever action along for some fun."

So he does want to shoot with you. That is great. You haven't seen his new Bergara yet. I expect that you will be quite impressed with it. And you can compliment him on his good taste in choosing it. I am biased, because I have one and I am very pleased with it. The action feels very smooth and strong, and the machine work and fit and finish are very good. And I bet it will shoot very well. I suggest that you buy a couple of boxes of .308 ammo before he arrives, and tell him you would like to shoot some groups with his new rifle to check it out. It will make him feel good to know you are interested in his new rifle. And if you are lucky, he may ask you to keep it safe for him while he is gone overseas.

I wish the very best for both of you, and hope you have a special time together during his visit.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just re-read your initial post, so I see that he may already be there with you. I hope you are having a great visit.

If you have time for a movie, take him to see "The Darkest Hour" about Winston Churchill and World War II. It is definitely Oscar material.

https://www.tribute.ca/trailers/darkest-hour/22439/

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 01/02/18.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,691
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.