Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here you go 340boy. : wink wink

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...77-7x57-tang-safety-red-pad#Post12520554

I got one (circa 1984) and contrary to many opinions on the fire, i.e., variable length throats and a Ruger you can get it to shoot respectable groups.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/04/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
roundoak, I bought mine in 1977 brand new in the box for $160, I was sure I got screwed. It has the longer throat but I've never had a problem using 139 gr Horn SP,140 gr NPT's in it for decent groups. The 154 grn Hornady RN's are of course exceptional in it. Jack could have wrote and hunted more about the 7x57 and left his wife at home. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MB, The 154 gr Hornady InterLock SP is my all time favorite in this rifle and used it with success on Moose, deer, elk and Mountain goat. In addition to O'Connor, Harvey Donaldson wrote favorably about the 7x57 Mauser and it struck a chord with me.

As you have found, you need not be askeered of the long throat In fact, the Ruger is very accurate with the 120 grain NBT and Hornady HP even though the bullet is a long way from the lands.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/04/18.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
MB, The 154 gr Hornady InterLock SP is my all time favorite in this rifle and used it with success on Moose, deer, elk and Mountain goat.

Finn Aagaard wrote that his all-around load for the 7x57 was the 154-gr Interlock at 2600 fps. Personally, I think the 150-gr class bullets (up to 160) are pretty under-rated. J. O'Connor talks about the 154-gr Interlock being his all-around loading as well; Mule Deer has written positively about the 156-gr Oryx; C. Boddington's daughter has used 150-gr Sirroccos at 2700 fps (albeit out of her 7-08) on just about everything that doesn't bite back, even things that most of us would hesitate to use it on, namely eland; ; and even our own Ingwe was playing with 150-gr NBTs at 2500 fps out of his Ingwe Special, before he retired it Florida. Not wanting to further pollute the barrel with plastic tips, I sighted it in using factory 158-gr Prvi Grom at an advertised 2460 fps, and killed quite a few pigs with it, including one of my largest boars. I just ordered some 150-gr Partitions from SPS and will see how they shoot in my MRC at around 2600, although I think I already know. It's too bad that Hornady doesn't load the 154-gr Interlock for those who don't reload. I think it would be a winner.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[. Jack could have wrote and hunted more about the 7x57 and left his wife at home. MB[/quote]

I got the impression that Eleanor "let" Jack go hunting...she seemed like a pretty strong woman, ha. don't get me wrong, I love strong women, married one myself, but I never saw Mrs OC as a Shrinking Violet type. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/04/18.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use a 7x57 for many of the mentioned reason. I witnessed a few unbelievable feats of markship by my father , using his 7x57. I read Finn Aagard a lot and he impressed me with his love of the 7x57. He also used many other rifles as did my father, but always took time to talk about a 7x57. My father was not a writer and not famous. But he hunted a lot and was a story teller around a lot of camps. First in Pa. deer camps , then as a cook in the BigHorn mtns. elk camp. I continue to carry his rifle each fall and relay my experiences to him. as dementia and bad health limit his ability but not his Spirit.
I came along at a time when J.O.C. and Elmer were well past their prime and writing careers . It is interesting that in that 1957 article The tone seems to be that 60 years ago J,.O.C. seemed to use and appreciate the 7x57 for the same reason that MD and others ( myself) included use it. It works , is classy and is has a long history of "Honorable" Even though as stated 60 years ago ' Factory ammo was limited and reloading for best results were the norm. At 125 years old I wish to be the classy choice that is still effective!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It sounds like we need a Campfire 7x57 build - maybe along the lines of Mrs. O'Connor's rifle, with Mule Deer's input regarding throat length. Anyone want to talk with Darrik about it? whistle

Last edited by RevMike; 01/04/18. Reason: Spelling

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just had a custom rifle built along the lines of the Rigby stalking rifle. Of course I had the caliber designated as a 275 Rigby. It's a classic cartridge that has stood the test of time and will still be standing tall when the fizzle has left the new hot rod cartridges. You can't improve on greatness.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Roundoak:

Was that the 7x57 built on a VZ33 action?

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tomk,

In the BIG GAME RIFLE by O'Connor published in 1952 there is a picture of Bradford O'Connor shooting Jack's 7x57 that was built on a Czech VZ-24 action. Metal work was done by Tom Burgess of Spokane and stock done by Russell Leonard of Spokane.

Gun Digest 1974 Jack said the rifle was built on a VZ-33 action.

Tom Turpin did an article on Tom Burgess in Gun Digest 2016 called TOM BURGESS - METALSMITH EXTRAORDINAIRE. His research found that Burgess built the rifle on a VZ-24 action.

Was O'connor's memory not so good 22 plus years later? I would think if he had the rifle built in 1951 and published a reference to it in 1952 as VZ-24 it is a VZ-24 action.

A close inspection would confirm.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks. Bought a VZ from an old gent some time back and the article came with it, IIRC. It was probably that Gun Digest 74 piece about a 7x57 made for Eleanor on a VZ33.

Gun Digest

Not real busy currently, would be happy to do that close inspection...:)

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Outstanding, that Gun Digest article. Thanks for the link.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He is pretty convincing...

Defend the Constitution
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tomk
Thanks. Bought a VZ from an old gent some time back and the article came with it, IIRC. It was probably that Gun Digest 74 piece about a 7x57 made for Eleanor on a VZ33.

Gun Digest

Thanks for posting that link -- it brought back memories of when I read that article as teen!

John

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had indeed read O'Connor's stuff both in library books and waiting in the barber's shop--then a place where your mom dropped you off at the curb and might peek her head in to call you away from a magazine, but would not risk stepping inside the dirty clime. A bastion for males, hunting and fishing rags on a ratty looking table, and dusty long guns sitting in the corner.

But Finn Aagaard's string of cartridge articles in mid-80's (IIRC) in the American Rifleman nearly sent me to the homeless shelter. And, of course, Bob Hagel's stuff...:)

Aagaard did an article somewhere on the 7x57 referencing his father shooting out a 7x57 barrel on game in Africa, killing anything and everything--basically with the same bullet. It made me believe I needed a 7x57. He also mentioned how his dad would have been amused by the bullet specialization we do. Guilty. Around the same time, a friend killed a massive buck by our UP camp during a snowy season. It was only a 6 pointer, but it was wide, had long tines and so much mass that you could not get your hand to fold completely around the beams.

Karma, of course. Obviously it was the influence of the 7x57.

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Aagaard did an article somewhere on the 7x57 referencing his father shooting out a 7x57 barrel on game in Africa, killing anything and everything--basically with the same bullet. It made me believe I needed a 7x57. He also mentioned how his dad would have been amused by the bullet specialization we do. Guilty. Around the same time, a friend killed a massive buck by our UP camp during a snowy season. It was only a 6 pointer, but it was wide, had long tines and so much mass that you could not get your hand to fold completely around the beams.

Good memory! He wrote that in American Rifleman, November, 1986. It's included as Chapter 17 in "Guns and Hunting" Safari Press, 2012. That's a great book.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Gun Digest

One of the things in that article is JOC's mentioning that Al Biesen turned down the factory barrel on his last 7x57, presumably to match his other Featherweights. I've often wondered whether or not it is the same contour as the Featherweight produced today. Does anyone know?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just before writing this I read a piece by a writer who dotes on the magnums more than I do. He uses the 7×57 as a dreadful example of the non-magnum. He says that “200 yards is close to the practical killing limit of the 7×57.” He adds that this is because the energy has then fallen off to about 1,400 ft. pounds.
Well, I’ve got news for the lad. Two hundred yards is not only the practical killing range of the 7×57, but also the practical killing range of the 30-06, the 7mm Magnum, the 300 Weatherby Magnum, and what have you. The reason for this is that very few hunters can lay the bullets into the vital area of a game animal at any greater distance, even under the most favorable conditions. In fact, I’d bet a sugar cookie that most hunters could kill stuff farther away with the 7×57 than they could with the 7mm Magnum. It would not kick them so hard. They wouldn’t be afraid of it, and they would shoot it better. I have some more news: game is not killed by foot pounds of energy. In fact, the energy has little to do with killing power. Animals are killed by putting in the right place a bullet that penetrates deep enough and opens up adequately.
One of many reasons I liked JOC. Reminds me of another writer I like. Hangs around here sometimes.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I met a gentleman yesterday whose in his early 80s and has amassed quite the gun collection. Probably north of 200 rifles, made me think of this thread when he said he didn't know why he bought any of them
as he already had a 7mm Mauser which is all he's ever hunted with

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Seems I have a love hate relationship with the 7x57. So far it's been a bad luck cartridge for me for one reason or another.. frown First one I had was a neat sporter made up in some little gun shop in England. Looked like a close copy of a Rigby and was stamped .275 Rigby-7x57 Mauser. Nice lightweight rifle, quite accurate as well. I lived in a small western town at he time and the only ammo available was that federal 175 gr. round nose. Well, that was the load it made it's reputation on so what the hell, I used it. Got a shot at a nice Mule deer at about 50 yards and planted the bullet right behind the shoulder. Deer took off at a dead run. I shot it about eight in the morning and was still looking for it when it became too dark to look any longer. I found it the next day,well at least what the coyotes had left over two hundred yards away from where I'd shot it. I was so damn mad I sold the rifle off. Still kicking myself to that dumb move.

Many years later I got into a smoking deal on one of the Winchester M70 Featherweight XTR's in 7x57 and took it on a deer hunt. I was using a handload using the 140 gr. Ballistic Tips and W760 in Winchester brass. The load was decently fast and very accurate. Got a shot at a nice deer which ran into a gully. I had to climb a ridge to reach the gully and my right foot slid one way and the rest of me the other way. Sat down hard with my right knee hurting like hell. My hunting partners carried me off the hill, I could not walk unsupported and they refused to go look for my deer. mad They wanted to take me into town to the hospital.

This year I played with some handloads using Re17 and the 150 gr. Partitions and got a decent load doing 2700 FPS with good accuracy. Took a while before I had the time to even get started due to caring for my wife who had a stroke last year. Before I could load up a supply of ammo for an elk hunt, I only had five rounds left over from the range test, it was time to leave for the hunt. So I did the hunt with another rifle to take my elk.

I guess the 7x57 jinx is still with me. Maybe next year. whistle I do so want to hunt with that FWT.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AB2506, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,220
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.