Print Thread
Hop To
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
So, I'm a novice at sell/buying guns on-line. Honestly, it makes me a bit nervous. What all do "I" need to do on my end to make sure the gun deal goes smoothly? My local gun shop will handle the FFL stuff for $25 I believe. Need to double check that.

Anyway, thanks for the advise...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What all do "I" need to do on my end to make sure the gun deal goes smoothly?

The best pictures you can take will help get your price, as well as an accurate description.

25 is a lot for an FFL fee. I'd shop around for a cheaper one.

Box what your sending securely, and know that most times you can wipe your ass with any insurance you purchase, as they don't like to pay claims.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nurse: I have bought several guns (Rifles and pistols) off of the 24 Hour Campfire.
Never sold one.
All transactions have concluded successfully for me.
Your post heading refers to selling a gun - you simply set the terms and price (condition, inspection period, no shooting clause, shipping price and who pays, insurance understanding, method of payment etc etc etc) up front and sit back and wait for your payment.
Once the payment is in hand you ship it to the prescribed destination.
"Selling" a gun should be a limited liability situation here on the Campfire.
Buying is more complicated with more inherent pitfalls - but again I have bought several guns here without trouble - pay attention to the prospective sellers posted "Joined" date here on the fire.
Best of luck to you in your transactions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
purty simple......follow FFL rules/regs.......

do not sell hand loaded ammo with rifle !

Pics are very helpful.....3 day/no fire inspection ? your call.......

give very good description...be honest.......what type of funds ? MO ? personal CK/allow time to clear......

did I say good close up pics ? show any flaws.....layaway ?

place in ad '1st public I'll take it' along with a PM to you to exchange personal info...

pack well....pack well !! Build insure/ship into the price asking.......some receiving FFL's will accept your DL as ID

Price firm ? Or best offer..........low post counts can be good guys too !

PS.......Fence Posts sells lever guns............ grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tikkanut; 01/04/18.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The cliff notes version is :

1. Describe accurately. The last thing you want is the buyer expecting more than what they’re getting. Lots of good pictures is highly recommended.

2. Long guns don’t have to be shipped from an FFL generally. Handguns do in general. Always ship TO AN FFL.You can’t go wrong using your local FFL to handle all your sales. My local ones charge $25 too.

3. Nothing to be nervous about. There are lots of online or long distance transactions through an FFL daily.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 01/04/18.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've bought and sold guns on this forum since 2002. Abide the about advice and all will go well. I try to undersell my stuff. I want folk to be pleasantly surprised by conditions and quality as apposed to disappointment because the buyer expected better. Be honest in your descriptions. When contacting the other party by PM, always provide a telephone number. Some folks like to talk with their seller/buyer. I greatly enjoy spending time with those folks talking rifles, shotguns, shooting, and hunting. It's what we do here!

Welcome to the classifieds and enjoy your transactions.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Welcome! All above excellent advice. Never had a problem... except if you ask my wife...too much buying n not enough selling! Oh well, life is short,death is sure, sin the cause, Christ the cure. Rick

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taz4570
I've bought and sold guns on this forum since 2002. Abide the about advice and all will go well. I try to undersell my stuff. I want folk to be pleasantly surprised by conditions and quality as apposed to disappointment because the buyer expected better. Be honest in your descriptions. When contacting the other party by PM, always provide a telephone number. Some folks like to talk with their seller/buyer. I greatly enjoy spending time with those folks talking rifles, shotguns, shooting, and hunting. It's what we do here!

This. Also consider giving a little history on the gun and a round count if possible. If you have an accurate scale posting the weight is helpful to some buyers.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
All great advise. Really appreciate it.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Where is gun listed?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not sure about Montana laws, but since you indicated "selling" a gun, in most states you do not have to ship your gun FROM an FFL. You DO have to ship it TO an FFL if you are shipping it out of state.

Like others said, Good detailed photos, showing any and all possible flaws. We can't stress HONESTLY!! enough, I mean it is what is just say so.

I try to make a practice of "under selling and over delivering". Another thing is to not skimp on communication, so both parties clearly know the state on the transaction at any time.

Any surprises should be the delight of the other party. Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

Good Luck,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If you are shipping directly to an FFL holder, be sure to get the first 3 and last 5 digits of their license number and check it on the EZCheck site. Make sure you are shipping to the address given on that site.

BATFE FFL EZ Check

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
25$ is reasonable for FFL transfer fee.. I sold a shotgun to a guy in Ohio he's FFL guy charged him $60 to transfer it to him.. now that's a rip off

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have bought a few guns here and great luck.In NY you have to send/receive thru FFL.
Just our Gov.and the SAFE act they passed.
Good luck with your sale,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a lot easier to buy a gun.....than sell one.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/05/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
Where is gun listed?

I don't have any guns listed "yet". Although I have a sweet Ruger #1 1-V that just needs a new home. I was considering posting it on here. Will see...

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
OK Thought you had posted one and I could not fine it . Thanks

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Can't really say that I'd agree with that statement based on my own experience. I've bought and sold a few over the last few years w/o a hitch.
From what I read I can tell that a lot of folks due to "lack of" or "incorrect" information make the whole process way more complicated that it actually is.
I notice many sellers will preclude Cal. and N.Y. buyers when truth be told, for a "private seller" transaction it's no different shipping to those states than any of the others.
Just my 2 cents. 😊

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219 Wasp, 204guy, 12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,224
Posts18,504,276
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.